Anti-Obamacare Argument Is "Absurd"

AUUSN

America's Largest Health Care Company Tells Supreme Court That Anti-Obamacare Argument Is "Absurd" HCA's Supreme Court brief declares Obamacare is working. If getting rid of Obamacare is such a good idea, why isn't corporate America getting behind King v. Burwell, the Supreme Court case designed to demolish the Affordable Care Act? More than 52 different parties have weighed in with briefs in advance of oral arguments on March 4. Of those, 21 have been filed on behalf of the plaintiffs, who claim millions of Obamacare consumers are receiving illegal health insurance subsidies. The groups filing these briefs include libertarian think tanks, pro-life organizations, Christian legal shops, and some conservative Republican legislators. But not a single business group—not the US Chamber of Commerce, not any of the health industry companies and trade groups that opposed the law when it was being drafted—has presented a brief endorsing this lawsuit.These outfits are either backing the Obama administration's attempt to defeat the suit or sitting out this case. Briefs in the case help explain why: Obamacare is working. There's no better evidence of this than a brief filed on behalf of the government in King by the Hospital Corporation of America, better known as HCA, the largest health care provider in the country (once run by Obamacare foe Florida Gov. Rick Scott). HCA argues that the legal theory advanced by the plaintiffs is "absurd," but, more importantly, it presents detailed data drawn from its own operations that demonstrate that the health care law is helping patients and the company itself.One of Congress' goals in passing the Affordable Care Act (ACA) was to cut down on the number of uninsured people using expensive emergency rooms for medical care that would be better delivered in an ordinary doctor's office. HCA notes in its brief that its data from 15 states that use the federal Obamacare exchange show this is exactly what's happening. The company says that in 2014, uninsured patients visited the ER in its facilities 10 times for every one admission to the hospital—a sign that most of those ER visits weren't emergencies. People insured through the exchange are visiting the ER three times for every one admission. HCA estimates that "uninsured patients are 300% more likely than Exchange patients to rely on ER care."Moreover, the data shows that a person who has obtained insurance through the federal Obamacare exchange is nearly twice as likely to use outpatient care—an indication that they are taking better care of themselves and obtaining care in a much less expensive fashion than those without insurance. "Thus, at the same time that Exchange patients are relying less on the ER, they are receiving more outpatient care than the uninsured, including care (such as chemotherapy) that is typically unavailable in the ER," HCA says in its brief. "That care is being provided in more appropriate and cost-effective settings." http://www.motherjon...re-amicus-brief

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's so AUsome I'm going to see my plan raped come January 1, 2016. Love it. #meanttofail

It's not working. Claiming it is is the 2nd biggest lie if this admin.

So then you certainly have proof to back up your claim that it's not working? Have you seen any Amicus briefs from any insurance providers?

I have my own plan which now costs 2x what I was paying before. Americans see it in their check book & bank accounts.

I have my own plan which now costs 2x what I was paying before. Americans see it in their check book & bank accounts.

So that's a no. Just because your costs increased doesn't = the plan is a failure.

So that's a no. Just because your costs increased doesn't = the plan is a failure.

Well...if you consider a price shift from one sector of society to another (with larger co-pays and much higher deductibles) as a way to "offset" another group who now have coverage at a lower cost (and millions added to Medicaid in the process) then yes....mission accomplished. Let's see where we are when the entire ACA takes affect over the next few years. We haven't scratched the surface yet.

They didn't just increase, they nearly doubled.

That's a complete and total failure.

What next, Obama forcing us to buy luxury cars we don't need ?

They didn't just increase, they nearly doubled.

That's a complete and total failure.

What next, Obama forcing us to buy luxury cars we don't need ?

That's not a complete and total failure. Your costs went up so take it up with your insurer. Pay the rate or cancel your plan. ACA seems to be working as planned. You haven't provided anything to refute that.

A complete and total failure. Obama said costs would go down, they went up. He lied. Knowingly lied. It was the lie of the year. Cost went up specifically and entirely because of O-Care. The Democrats made it law that ins. companies had to cover things we didn't need, jacking cost up. Your blind allegience to this admin is nothing short of idiots praising communism.

Working as planned ? Yes. To destroy this country.

A complete and total failure. Obama said costs would go down, they went up. He lied. Knowingly lied. It was the lie of the year. Cost went up specifically and entirely because of O-Care. The Democrats made it law that ins. companies had to cover things we didn't need, jacking cost up. Your blind allegience to this admin is nothing short of idiots praising communism.

I have no blind allegiance. I get my healthcare for free. Government mandates stuff all the time and the regulatory costs are passed to the consumer. Cars are now mandated to have rear cameras, boom you pay the costs. Like I said, take it up with your insurance company.

There is no such thing as free healthcare. Just because you're not paying for it doesn't mean it's not being paid for, by someone else.

And you're welcome.

Not a big fan of freedom, I see. As long as daddy govt tells you what you need, you're fine.

My god, you are such a loyal myrmidon to the Imperial Federal Govt.

There is no such thing as free healthcare. Just because you're not paying for it doesn't mean it's not being paid for, by someone else.

And you're welcome.

Not a big fan of freedom, I see. As long as daddy govt tells you what you need, you're fine.

I see you removed this little gem: "Cars are not mandated to have rear cameras. But it's not the govt's job to tell us what to pay for, what not to pay for." In the future how about a quick google search before embarrassing yourself.

"Today’s final rule requires all vehicles under 10,000 pounds, including buses and trucks, manufactured on or after May 1, 2018, to come equipped with rear visibility technology that expands the field of view to enable the driver of a motor vehicle to detect areas behind the vehicle to reduce death and injury resulting from backover incidents. The field of view must include a 10-foot by 20-foot zone directly behind the vehicle. The system must also meet other requirements including image size, linger time, response time, durability, and deactivation.

“Rear visibility requirements will save lives, and will save many families from the heartache suffered after these tragic incidents occur," said NHTSA Acting Administrator David Friedman. "We’re already recommending this kind of life-saving technology through our NCAP program and encouraging consumers to consider it when buying cars today." http://www.dot.gov/briefing-room/nhtsa-announces-final-rule-requiring-rear-visibility-technology

And you're welcome.

You were able to freely post this and not have the secret police show up at your door and arrest you for subversion..... AND you're welcome.

And you're welcome.

You were able to freely post this and not have the secret police show up at your door and arrest you for subversion..... AND you're welcome.

Living free is subversion, in your world ?

Wow. Did you make it to Berlin before or after the wall came down ?

Good grief, you're a friggin Soviet nut job.

( Lee Harvey Oswald any relation to you ? Just askin' )

It's not working. Claiming it is is the 2nd biggest lie if this admin.

So then you certainly have proof to back up your claim that it's not working? Have you seen any Amicus briefs from any insurance providers?

The insurance companies are making money off the polices they sell. The government has to pick up any discounts, not the insurance provider.

Since all insurance providers have to sell the same coverage and cover high cost clients, they have been made equal. All the companies just raise their prices without fear of competition.

So the insurance companies have been paid off through government regulation. They might not be happy with single payer like Canadian Medicare.

Large business want out of the health insurance business for their employees. They would love to dump it on the government just they have done in Canada and Britain and see ACA as the step toward that.

That also frees businesses from having to negotiate with unions on healthcare coverage at contract renewal time. Not my problem, complain to the government.

And you're welcome.

Too bad your righteous indignation won't help as your stroking a check to your insurance company.

I'm a federal retiree so my insurance is subsidized by the taxpayer (thank you). Thus I haven't had to personally deal with Obamacare. You can read all kinds of stuff and find plenty to support both sides but based on what I'm told by family, friends, doctors, business owners, etc., the consensus is that it is a pain in the butt. I do find it interesting that the gov't brags about how any have signed up but won't say ho many have paid.

Just get together and fix the issues. Repeal is not going to happen. It is a certified lock to not get repealed.

Just fix the issues. \

BTW, i just went on ACA Site.

My equivalent Coverage on ACA, should i have to go, is:

$650/Month, $3000 Ded, $7K OOP Expense.

That would equate to about 100% Increase in my premiums from 2014.

Just get together and fix the issues. Repeal is not going to happen. It is a certified lock to not get repealed.

Just fix the issues. \

BTW, i just went on ACA Site.

My equivalent Coverage on ACA, should i have to go, is:

$650/Month, $3000 Ded, $7K OOP Expense.

That would equate to about 100% Increase in my premiums from 2014.

Anyone else been personally affected by it?

I know some companies that didn't change at all with their isurance. My old work (at a hospital) doubled insurance rates and put up a huge deductible. When I asked why they replied... and this is no bull**** "Obamacare" I tried telling them that that's a stupid non answer but never got a better explanation, soon after they froze raises, even yearly ones citing once again "Obamacare" like the word itself should be explanation enough. Crappiest part of it was some people took that as a legit answer.

I quit not too long after.

How much effort have you put into shopping for a different plan? Are you simply paying what they ask?

The biggest negative we have noted with ACA is it's complexity in comparing options. My wife - who for some crazy reason, enjoys such analysis - spent days doing this. She created a huge spreadsheet comparing various options available.

She also found that pricing for some plans was "out-of-whack" (irrational). It's was very difficult for us to find the best plan and even now we aren't sure we did.

Not to sound elitist, but I don't understand how people who don't have experience of doing such an analysis can effectively deal with it.

I'm a federal retiree so my insurance is subsidized by the taxpayer (thank you). Thus I haven't had to personally deal with Obamacare. You can read all kinds of stuff and find plenty to support both sides but based on what I'm told by family, friends, doctors, business owners, etc., the consensus is that it is a pain in the butt. I do find it interesting that the gov't brags about how any have signed up but won't say ho many have paid.

This is true. We can find stories of those who have benefited and stories of those burdened. Personal opinion, success or failure, this is not what we were sold.

And you're welcome.

Just leave Raptor. We don't need this crazy s*** posted on the board. It's pathetic.

For every person who has benefited, 2 have higher co-pays, deductibles, and/or premiums. And still.....there will be millions without insurance.

BTW....no one has free insurance. You might not pay for it directly, but someone is.

Grand slam.

Archived