Kalvaraz Bessent

CameronCrazy

No, we weren't one over. No team can ever be one or for that matter any over without severe penalties. We were not over the 85 limit. This month's signees don't count until they are in school and attending classes, so the 85 limit, at least until late May, had nothing to do with this.

Oh god.

You can still project numbers based on how many you have enrolled and how many you expect to enroll. It doesn't matter if you make room now, next week, or next month...if your current signing class is projected to take you over, then you need to make room. We would have been over by at least one.

Not until the new guys enroll and attend classes. By then the normal three or so that always quit after spring practice will be gone. Bessent leaving had nothing to do with the 85 limit.

So you're saying he can't make a current number count because YOU feel three more people will quit.....makes sense

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Unfortunate, I hope he becomes an amazing and wealthy player (in the future) somewhere outside of the SEC

GT

Don't have to guess...pretty easy to see where he stood....redshirted last season despite a pretty poor defensive secondary. Several starters coming back and some really good kids coming in....just do the math.

Yeah you're right. If he didn't play as a true freshman then there's no hope.

Keep in mind, a year ago Bessent was one of those "really good kids coming in". Just thought I'd point that out.

I'm not saying you're wrong, because I don't know how things would've turned out had he stayed, but your logic isn't exactly rock solid.

Exactly, there's been guys who didn't start off well at first and eventually panned out.. We usually have a few of those guys on our offense. Why Bessent didn't get time is probably more than just he wasn't good enough, because there was no way DBs like Mincy or Ford was that much better than him

No, we weren't one over. No team can ever be one or for that matter any over without severe penalties. We were not over the 85 limit. This month's signees don't count until they are in school and attending classes, so the 85 limit, at least until late May, had nothing to do with this.

Oh god.

You can still project numbers based on how many you have enrolled and how many you expect to enroll. It doesn't matter if you make room now, next week, or next month...if your current signing class is projected to take you over, then you need to make room. We would have been over by at least one.

Not until the new guys enroll and attend classes. By then the normal three or so that always quit after spring practice will be gone. Bessent leaving had nothing to do with the 85 limit.

So you're saying he can't make a current number count because YOU feel three more people will quit.....makes sense

No, I'm saying a current number count is pointless, and since we're in no danger of going over the 85 limit any time soon that the 85 limit can't possibly be the reason Bessent left at this time.

This was a "processing" issue to make room for the 85 limit. This was clearly a character issue. Bessent has been on a tight leash since he arrived. Evidently he didn't live up the stipulations that Malzahn set in place. Very disappointing. Kid has real talent and could have been a big contributor for us next year.

This. AU had him on a 0% tolerance policy. All I'm going to say.

Unfortunate, I hope he becomes an amazing and wealthy player (in the future) somewhere outside of the SEC

GT

Don't have to guess...pretty easy to see where he stood....redshirted last season despite a pretty poor defensive secondary. Several starters coming back and some really good kids coming in....just do the math.

Keep in mind, a year ago Bessent was one of those "really good kids coming in". Just thought I'd point that out.

I'm not saying you're wrong, because I don't know how things would've turned out had he stayed, but your logic isn't exactly rock solid.

Exactly, there's been guys who didn't start off well at first and eventually panned out.. We usually have a few of those guys on our offense. Why Bessent didn't get time is probably more than just he wasn't good enough, because there was no way DBs like Mincy or Ford was that much better than him

If that were true, he would have been playing....you really think the coaches would leave a guy on the bench who was better than the guys who were playing about 90% of the time? but then again...lots of folks persisted with the view that eRoc was better than CAP and JJ better than Nick.

GT

If that were true, he would have been playing....you really think the coaches would leave a guy on the bench who was better than the guys who were playing about 90% of the time? but then again...lots of folks persisted with the view that eRoc was better than CAP and JJ better than Nick.

He did it to Whitehead remember?

Word around the 'net is that the issue was grades. Some have said that he wasn't enrolled for the spring semester.

The "moving home to be closer to my kids" thing is rich. Got a giggle out of that one.

GT

He did it to Whitehead remember?

different deal you realize .....in fact could have provided a good reason for coaches to move him up if they thought he could help the team.

KB's issues are his own, came on "probation" and did not make the active team....happens to kids all the time and nothing against him but sometimes kids just aren't ready for SEC caliber football plus the required academic workload too. He could latch on to Ga Southern for example....right in his neighborhood and would probably be glad to have him. Hope he does well...with a couple kids to support, he is going to need the ability to earn a reasonable livelihood.

Word around the 'net is that the issue was grades. Some have said that he wasn't enrolled for the spring semester.

The "moving home to be closer to my kids" thing is rich. Got a giggle out of that one.

Chimes, how old are your kids?

GT

Or that Cam was better than Tebow.....oh, wait....

a lot easier than saying college drop out. ...

He left to move closer to his two kids, 4 and 2. The fact that he was a 160 pounds was an obvious redshirt, do some research....

He's already used his redshirt year and his kids are still the same distance away that they were when he signed with Auburn a year ago this month. No amount of research is going to change that. Something new happened, and reason says that whatever happened was not a positive thing.

He left to move closer to his two kids, 4 and 2. The fact that he was a 160 pounds was an obvious redshirt, do some research....

He's already used his redshirt year and his kids are still the same distance away that they were when he signed with Auburn a year ago this month. No amount of research is going to change that. Something new happened, and reason says that whatever happened was not a positive thing.

He did't come in on a tight leash, he came in on Gus' choke collar - he had zero room to stray from the rules and expectations of his coach.

it was reported in an article that was free by 247 and on twitter or one of the auburn pay sites, if true or not, who knows but was reported immediately.

I'm not surprised at all that he is leaving. He started out on the wrong foot and seemed to have maturity issues. I'm not sure any of us know the whole story about the arrest, dope and gun in the car. Getting new defensive coaches probably didn't help his career at AU either. Wish him well but we're OK without him.

it was reported in an article that was free by 247 and on twitter or one of the auburn pay sites, if true or not, who knows but was reported immediately.

Well then, one part of that article can't possibly be true. He wasn't facing a redshirt because everybody gets one redshirt year and he's already used his. That pretty much calls into question the entire thing because if they got something as basic as that wrong, what else did they get wrong?

Chimes, how old are your kids?

They're old enough to remember when you left a big time division 1 football program to be closer to yours.

"Bessent's decision to leave Auburn appears to drop the Tigers to the NCAA-mandated 85 scholarships, a number Auburn didn't have to reach until the Tigers begin practice in August."

Sorry, having trouble linking article. Just seems to be some confusion on when FBS teams have to be under 85 scholarships. I was under the impression they had to be under by fall camp, as the writer above mentioned. I thought the only change was the Houston Nutt rule which limited the total allowed to 28 a year?

I think most of us can sympathize with kids that seem to be victims of coaching changes. But that's part of life. I hope Coach Malzahn and Coach Muschamp are being totally up front with all the returnees on defense and I'm sure they are. I would expect a few more to move on after Spring practice when once again CWM will evaluate each defensive player.

"Bessent's decision to leave Auburn appears to drop the Tigers to the NCAA-mandated 85 scholarships, a number Auburn didn't have to reach until the Tigers begin practice in August."

Sorry, having trouble linking article. Just seems to be some confusion on when FBS teams have to be under 85 scholarships. I was under the impression they had to be under by fall camp, as the writer above mentioned. I thought the only change was the Houston Nutt rule which limited the total allowed to 28 a year?

The "Nutt Rule" limits teams to 25 per year. But, if a team didn't use the full 25 the previous year, that shortfall can be added as "countbacks" if those slots go to early enrolees. For example, this year Auburn had three countback slots, so three of our early enrolees counted on the 2014 class, the remaining 24 on this class. (Except that Jovon Robinson didn't count at all, since he was in school at AU, transferred to a JUCO and came back to AU.) As it stands now, we used three countbacks and 23 of our 25 2015 limit. So if we don't add anyone else we can sign 2+ 25 next year. I do think the staff intends to sign Austin Golson and that will leave us with 1+25 for 26 next year.

About the August date: How old is the source material used in the article you are quoting? I'm pretty sure that changed about three years ago. Now, a school can never go over 85 but again, the new signees do not count until they are in school and attending classes. There's time for seniors to graduate in May before the new guys come in over the summer. Think about Patrick Miller leaving LSU and coming to Auburn because they didn't have room for him that January. If the old "Count in August" rule had stayed in effect Miller could have stayed at LSU. Instead, they couldn't let him start school that January.

Archived