When ISIS Ran the American South

AUUSN

So in your twisted perspective, as horrendous as many racist events were, its a fair comparison between the KKK and those who daily rape and behead children? After which, they line up the headless bodies, photograph them and post them to the internet, for recruitment purposes?

Take a look at page two of this document: http://www.eji.org/files/EJI%20Lynching%20in%20America%20SUMMARY.pdf

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I started to post this exact same column yesterday. Then I despaired of doing so because I just knew the reaction of the knee-jerk denizens of this forum and decided not to waste the keystrokes.

Tex is right...some people absolutely refuse to even take one second to reflect on anything that might challenge their worldview one scintilla.

And you wonder why racism still exists? We keep rehashing the same stuff over and over and over......

Lacking the courage to confront injustice is what allows injustice to exist. If we ignore it, it will go away?

Actually it was NEVER ignored. Wonder what the genesis of the Civil Rights Act was? Or better yet, Affirmative Action laws? Wherein people of color were given preferential ttreatment over white people.....this has already been rectified but you panty waists aren't satisfied unless a pound of flesh is exacted everyday for the sins of th past.e

Panty Waist? My aren't we sophisticated. Take off your ideological glasses and re-read the article.

And you wonder why racism still exists? We keep rehashing the same stuff over and over and over......

Lacking the courage to confront injustice is what allows injustice to exist. If we ignore it, it will go away?

Actually it was NEVER ignored. Wonder what the genesis of the Civil Rights Act was? Or better yet, Affirmative Action laws? Wherein people of color were given preferential ttreatment over white people.....this has already been rectified but you panty waists aren't satisfied unless a pound of flesh is exacted everyday for the sins of th past.e

Panty Waist? My aren't we sophisticated. Take off your ideological glasses and re-read the article.

Its a nicer reference to what you really are.

That folks is how you can tell when you've won the debate...

Yep. Name calling is an admission that you can no longer compete with intellect and logic.

What was the purpose of this thread? If it is to point out the sins of the past...bingo. Accepted. If it is intended to inform a course of action against the actual present day group ISIS, I don't understand.

I started to post this exact same column yesterday. Then I despaired of doing so because I just knew the reaction of the knee-jerk denizens of this forum and decied not to waste the keystrokes.

Tex is right...some people absolutely refuse to even take one second to reflect on anything that might challenge their worldview one scintilla.

Not to mention the article is from the American Conservatism. I posted it to plead from my countrymen to show patience in our battle with the Da'esh. As this article showed, it took the better part of a hundred years to change the culture but yet we are supposed to change a culture exhibited in the Middle East in mere years? No. To understand your enemy, you have to look back at your own history and see how easily religious people can get so twisted and dehumanize others.

What was the purpose of this thread? If it is to point out the sins of the past...bingo. Accepted. If it is intended to inform a course of action against the actual present day group ISIS, I don't understand.

Think about how a terrorist organization can become part of a culture. Think about how good people can either actively or passively support the evil of terrorism.

It was neither.

I started to post this exact same column yesterday. Then I despaired of doing so because I just knew the reaction of the knee-jerk denizens of this forum and decied not to waste the keystrokes.

Not to mention the article is from the American Conservatism. I posted it to plead from my countrymen to show patience in our battle with the Da'esh. As this article showed, it took the better part of a hundred years to change the culture but yet we are supposed to change a culture exhibited in the Middle East in mere years? No. To understand your enemy, you have to look back at your own history and see how easily religious people can get so twisted and dehumanize others.

Even now, have we totally eliminated the injustice, the bigotry, and all acts of terror?

http://news.yahoo.com/3-sentenced-prison-slaying-black-man-mississippi-205547940.html;_ylt=A0SO8wMKztxUK2oAQctXNyoA;_ylu=X3oDMTEzbW12ODgwBGNvbG8DZ3ExBHBvcwMxBHZ0aWQDVklQNTUwXzEEc2VjA3Nj

Even now, have we totally eliminated the injustice, the bigotry, and all acts of terror?

http://news.yahoo.co...TUwXzEEc2VjA3Nj

No. B9paX8yIcAEQX_d.jpg

The purpose was to make you think. It's so easy to look at ISIS and wonder how they could be like that...so cold, so calculating, so bloodthirsty and hateful. It's like you're not even looking at a group of people anymore, but just looking at the wild, irrational actions of an rabid animal. Utter savages.

Then you look at what occurred in this country just 50-100 years ago. Things that are every bit as savage, evil and barbaric as ISIS setting a man on fire in a cage or beheading them on video. It wasn't the action of some superstitious medieval oddballs. There are people alive today who witnessed such things....some of whom saw it happen to their people and others who have relatives that participated in and watched such things with glee. And you realize, "this is the United States. This is a modern country. We aren't a bunch of backwards people stuck in the Bronze Age. Yet it happened here anyway." Then you realize how such things happen...how such monstrous ideas take root and flower into despicable deeds.

The purpose was to make you think. It's so easy to look at ISIS and wonder how they could be like that...so cold, so calculating, so bloodthirsty and hateful. It's like you're not even looking at a group of people anymore, but just looking at the wild, irrational actions of an rabid animal. Utter savages.

Then you look at what occurred in this country just 50-100 years ago. Things that are every bit as savage, evil and barbaric as ISIS setting a man on fire in a cage or beheading them on video. It wasn't the action of some superstitious medieval oddballs. There are people alive today who witnessed such things....some of whom saw it happen to their people and others who have relatives that participated in and watched such things with glee. And you realize, "this is the United States. This is a modern country. We aren't a bunch of backwards people stuck in the Bronze Age. Yet it happened here anyway." Then you realize how such things happen...how such monstrous ideas take root and flower into despicable deeds.

I think titan is right.

50 years from now, we will either be seeing the normalization of the Arabic/Muslim World or we will see an even more zealous ME filled with more crazies and more murder.

The march of history says that we should see moderation. I am not convinced however when it comes to zealotry in the ME. Reading Josephus made me realize than once emotions and faith are riled up so much that reason, logic, and sound judgment are forgotten.

Were the lynchings in the U.S South done in the name of Christianity?

"In the name of?" I don't know. I know that a whole lot of entanglement with Christianity was fomented by those who did these things. But to me that's a side issue. The point wasn't to say "these things are alike in every single way minus the labels of the groups." The point was, "any country, any group of people in any era is capable of these sorts of things." And maybe, in digging in a bit to how we got to such a place as a people, we can gain a little bit of understanding as to what's going on in the heads of ISIS types.

The people doing the lynching were wearing crosses. However, I'm not sure the analogy is so much about religion as it is how a culture can actively and passively endorse terrorism.

The religious implication is probably more about how a religion can be hijacked in an attempt to justify what is unjustifiable.

The people doing the lynching were wearing crosses. However, I'm not sure the analogy is so much about religion as it is how a culture can actively and passively endorse terrorism.

The religious implication is probably more about how a religion can be hijacked in an attempt to justify what is unjustifiable.

That's an excellent explanation.

We just need more govt. programs. And more $, empowerment zones, affirmative action, etc...

"In the name of?" I don't know. I know that a whole lot of entanglement with Christianity was fomented by those who did these things. But to me that's a side issue. The point wasn't to say "these things are alike in every single way minus the labels of the groups." The point was, "any country, any group of people in any era is capable of these sorts of things." And maybe, in digging in a bit to how we got to such a place as a people, we can gain a little bit of understanding as to what's going on in the heads of ISIS types.

That last sentence contains the proper starting point for devising any effective means of eradicating ISIS (or any ideological enemy). You can bomb them until you run out of ordnance. You can deploy ground forces to hunt and eliminate them until you run out of resources. Their casualties will be followed by successors. When Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi is killed, he will be replaced by someone similar or worse. If not, ISIS will splinter until it is galvanized again as a group with a new acronym. The other regional governments are the only ones that have a chance at driving out such madness, and allowing the people and religion to put it behind them. I am hoping that this regional coalition is the first step down that path.

We just need more govt. programs. And more $, empowerment zones, affirmative action, etc...

Can you explain how that would be relevant?

That last sentence contains the proper starting point for devising any effective means of eradicating ISIS (or any ideological enemy). You can bomb them until you run out of ordnance. You can deploy ground forces to hunt and eliminate them until you run out of resources. Their casualties will be followed by successors. When Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi is killed, he will be replaced by someone similar or worse. If not, ISIS will splinter until it is galvanized again as a group with a new acronym. The other regional governments are the only ones that have a chance at driving out such madness, and allowing the people and religion to put it behind them. I am hoping that this regional coalition is the first step down that path.

Very well stated!

The point to take away is that our violent past is in the past. Radical Islam is in the present. This discussion distracts from the problem at hand.

The point to take away is that our violent past is in the past. Radical Islam is in the present. This discussion distracts from the problem at hand.

I disagree. I think it adds some understanding. It's in our past but not the distant past. It gives us some insight into how a culture and indeed a religion can be hijacked for such purposes.

Neater_9975.png

I get confused and seem to look deeper into a topic than other sithout thinking about it.

So this is another one of those arguments on these boards of;

"One guy yelled 'Allah' before killing someone, so the other 1.6 billion Muslims in the world must want to do the same"

Versus the

"Hey, Christians did bad things before, it doesn't mean every Christian is a killer"

I agree in part. I don't think understanding their "starting point" is a valid framework for anything. Evil is evil...no matter what century or place. What makes otherwise normal people either stand by or commit heinous acts is a complete lack of empathy for the oppressed. ISIS is no different. I 100% agree that ultimately, the locals will be required to stamp this out in the long term. But, just like with most of the "ism's" of the last century; the locals didn't eradicate it on their own...they had to have help. For better or worse (just like with the "isms") we are in a unique position to help; and if we want it to happen sooner vs later; much later; we need to provide support.

Archived