Evolution and Politics

aubfaninga

How you find meaning is up to you.

In a deterministic universe, with no free will, there is no meaning to find. There's no way to pretty that up. Unless you want to fake it.

I don't find meaning in believing in something in which I see no evidence for, simply to trick myself into feeling better.

I wouldn't propose believing in something just to make myself feel better either. I believe in things because I believe them to be true.

On the other hand, I can't think of any better example of believing in something just to make one feel better than to believe in a deterministic universe yet cling to a quaint notion like there being "meaning" or "purpose" in it.

Funny. To me a deterministic universe would epitomize purpose.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In a deterministic universe, with no free will, there is no meaning to find. There's no way to pretty that up. Unless you want to fake it.

I don't find meaning in believing in something in which I see no evidence for, simply to trick myself into feeling better.

I wouldn't propose believing in something just to make myself feel better either. I believe in things because I believe them to be true.

On the other hand, I can't think of any better example of believing in something just to make one feel better than to believe in a deterministic universe yet cling to a quaint notion like there being "meaning" or "purpose" in it.

That would assume someone outside of it having a purpose. But if it's all random chance that we're here to begin with, and the rest is just following the laws of physics and could not have been otherwise (at least not by any ability on any of our parts to freely choose), then there is not purpose. It simply epitomizes "this is just the way it *is*." There is nothing that would entails it being this way for a reason or a purpose.

That would assume someone outside of it having a purpose. But if it's all random chance that we're here to begin with, and the rest is just following the laws of physics and could not have been otherwise (at least not by any ability on any of our parts to freely choose), then there is not purpose. It simply epitomizes "this is just the way it *is*." There is nothing that would entails it being this way for a reason or a purpose.

OK, that's fair.

Archived