Ivy Leaguers in an Uproar Over Health Care

Proud Tiger

Suddenly the up and coming liberal kids don't like their health care. They will be Republicans soon.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2015/02/14/cornell-student-body-furious-over-school-health-care-opt-out-fees/?intcmp=latestnews

This is worse that obamacare. If you have your own health insurance and many students do through their parents' policies, you must still subsidize the Cornell school health insurance plan that you don't use. Some of these kids may even have their own Aetna heath insurance plans. It does get them use to the concept of subsidizing the have nots.

What is happening is probably a result of the ACA. Children can be carried on their parents' health insurance policies until they are 26 years old. Thus many juniors, seniors and graduate students at Cornell no longer need to buy the Cornell health insurance. That reduces the funding for the Cornell insurance program so they are making it up by forcing students to pay the opt out fee.

Just a good example of why a lot of folks should have read stuff before they decided they liked it.

Just a good example of why a lot of folks should have read stuff before they decided they liked it.

Read it? How? Our liar in chief makes damned sure NOBODY gets to read his proposals before they're jammed down our throats. You know Jonathan Gruber style...we're simply too stupid to understand what a "good thing" they're doing for us. :-\

This isn't the ACA. It's Cornell. I bet you blame Obama for cloudy days and bad traffic.

I'd just like to point out that this sort of fee is very common, and it normally goes to subsidize an actual health center on campus that provides services. I pay mine to ECU each semester (and I use the hell out of it and get my money's worth!). Here, if you pay the fee, you get to use the center no matter what insurance you have.

I don't know how their specific economics work out at Cornell, but I imagine that it's very similar to that. Perhaps, in the past, reimbursement for usage of the preventative health center may have been billed to the student's insurance.

Actually, you know what, this makes perfect sense. After the ACA was passed and the students got to stay on their parents insurance, less were utilizing the Cornell insurance plan, which reduces the amount of money that the health center was getting to run the programs, which in turn reduces access. The fee is probably there to offset that loss in funding.

I honestly don't know what the big deal is about this. Like I said, it's a pretty common thing at many large schools to pay a health fee in return for being able to use the university health center.

I'd just like to point out that this sort of fee is very common, and it normally goes to subsidize an actual health center on campus that provides services. I pay mine to ECU each semester (and I use the hell out of it and get my money's worth!). Here, if you pay the fee, you get to use the center no matter what insurance you have.

I don't know how their specific economics work out at Cornell, but I imagine that it's very similar to that. Perhaps, in the past, reimbursement for usage of the preventative health center may have been billed to the student's insurance.

Actually, you know what, this makes perfect sense. After the ACA was passed and the students got to stay on their parents insurance, less were utilizing the Cornell insurance plan, which reduces the amount of money that the health center was getting to run the programs, which in turn reduces access. The fee is probably there to offset that loss in funding.

I honestly don't know what the big deal is about this. Like I said, it's a pretty common thing at many large schools to pay a health fee in return for being able to use the university health center.

That is the connection to ACA. Previously most dependent children were dropped from their parents health coverage at 22. ACA moved that to 25. Cornell was getting money in the past from those older students buying into their school health coverage. Cornell has probably lost a large number of older students who now are under their parents plans.

TexT....I'm impressed you know what I think, But sorry to break the news to you....you are FOS. I challenge you again to show where I even mentioned ACA. Do you just want to argue about something? Looks that way because you contribute nothing but snide remarks. Your usual MO.

But according to cptau in his post above there is in fact a connection to ACA which I hadn't thought of.

The "stuff" I was referring to was whatever poiicy/documentation the school was using to handle the whole student health insurance plans.

Now you tell me where I said ANYTHING about Obama.

The "stuff" I was referring to was whatever poiicy/documentation the school was using to handle the whole student health insurance plans.

Now you tell me where I said ANYTHING about Obama.

I don't think you're telling the truth.

Oh so now you call me a liar? Wow!! Just not man enough to admit you were off base with your accusatons?

what happened to your Stry spirit?

Well if you don't like it that's tough. I really don't care what you "think." You are just a sore loser stirring the pot and not man enough to say you were wrong in your accusations.

Get the Stry Spirit!!!!

Well if you don't like it that's tough. I really don't care what you "think." You are just a sore loser stirring the pot and not man enough to say you were wrong in your accusations.

Get the Stry Spirit!!!!

Not a question of liking it. I can accept that your nonsensical if that's what you prefer. Your explanation makes no sense. Maybe you're honestly nonsensical.

Run along with your whimpering sonny. I've spent too much time with you already and you refuse to be civil. You lose. Get over it.

Goodnight.

Run along with your whimpering sonny. I've spent too much time with you already and you refuse to be civil. You lose. Get over it.

Goodnight.

I'm being civil. You're being childish.

No....it's a child who makes accusations then cries when his Daddy scolds him for being wrong. Be a man sonnyand simply admit you made erroneous accusations. It's all there for any intelligent person to scroll back and see.

No....it's a child who makes accusations then cries when his Daddy scolds him for being wrong. Be a man sonnyand simply admit you made erroneous accusations. It's all there for any intelligent person to scroll back and see.

I said I believed you weren't being honest. Still do, since that's what the facts suggest. I'm being pretty matter of fact. You're being whiny.

Archived