What is true Islam vs what the extremists are doing

Auburn06

As has been said here before, the "problem" is that ISIS THINKS they are Islam. They want to establish a Caliphate with an Islamic gov't.

http://www.britannic...89739/Caliphate

I don't know how much clearer that could be. We can discuss the purist Muslim religion all day long. ISIS couldn't care less.

Islam is kind of like Christianity. There are a lot of "denominations" that all see things a little differently, i.e, Sunnis, Shites. etc.

BUT.....right now we need to be focused on ISIS and calling them what they are.....radical Islamist terrorists.

That is correct, ISIS does indeed think that they represent the correct / true interpretation of Islam, and that they are compelled to establish a caliphate. I do not think that anyone here or in our government (including the President) is confused about that.

Why is it necessary to focus on us publicly calling them radical Islamist terrorists, instead of simply radical terrorists? I can think of nothing that it accomplishes, but I can easily see how focusing on the Islam part becomes detrimental in light of our goal to keep a coalition composed primarily of the region's leading Muslim countries together. Whatever brand of Islam they adhere to is irrelevant with regard to conducting coalition military operations against them. Their ideology is something that we, as the symbols of ultimate infidels, are not capable of doing anything about. The best thing that we can do in public speaking is distance them as much as possible from Islam, or avoid the subject of Islam altogether.

We can't ignore who they are. We do call them Islamic because you have to understand where their thinking is. Isis gets s lot of backing and help from Iran. Iran wants to be the big dog in the region. They intend to impose their view of Islam, which coincide with ISIS, on the middle East and around the world. They are the main instigator. If they get a nuclear missile, it is game set and match. Islam is the one religion in the world that just cannot coexist with others where Islam thrives other religions die out. Govto any muslin country and try to practice Christianity or Judaism orxsny other faith. Good luck with that. It isn't just ISIS. The rest may not want to lop off your head but that doesn't mean they aren't a threat.

No, no, and no.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As has been said here before, the "problem" is that ISIS THINKS they are Islam. They want to establish a Caliphate with an Islamic gov't.

I don't know how much clearer that could be. We can discuss the purist Muslim religion all day long. ISIS couldn't care less.

Islam is kind of like Christianity. There are a lot of "denominations" that all see things a little differently, i.e, Sunnis, Shites. etc.

BUT.....right now we need to be focused on ISIS and calling them what they are.....radical Islamist terrorists.

That is correct, ISIS does indeed think that they represent the correct / true interpretation of Islam, and that they are compelled to establish a caliphate. I do not think that anyone here or in our government (including the President) is confused about that.

Why is it necessary to focus on us publicly calling them radical Islamist terrorists, instead of simply radical terrorists? I can think of nothing that it accomplishes, but I can easily see how focusing on the Islam part becomes detrimental in light of our goal to keep a coalition composed primarily of the region's leading Muslim countries together. Whatever brand of Islam they adhere to is irrelevant with regard to conducting coalition military operations against them. Their ideology is something that we, as the symbols of ultimate infidels, are not capable of doing anything about. The best thing that we can do in public speaking is distance them as much as possible from Islam, or avoid the subject of Islam altogether.

We can't ignore who they are. We do call them Islamic because you have to understand where their thinking is. Isis gets s lot of backing and help from Iran. Iran wants to be the big dog in the region. They intend to impose their view of Islam, which coincide with ISIS, on the middle East and around the world. They are the main instigator. If they get a nuclear missile, it is game set and match. Islam is the one religion in the world that just cannot coexist with others where Islam thrives other religions die out. Govto any muslin country and try to practice Christianity or Judaism orxsny other faith. Good luck with that. It isn't just ISIS. The rest may not want to lop off your head but that doesn't mean they aren't a threat.

If Iran is backing ISIS then I will never talk on this subject again

Iran's view of Islam does not coincide with ISIS, they are polar opposites. Iran is not supporting ISIS, they are supporting the Shiite militias that are fighting ISIS. That makes perfect sense too, when you consider the fact that Iran is a Shiite country, and those Muslims ISIS is killing are also Shiite.

As for other religions, you do realize that Iran has the largest Jewish population of any Muslim country, and that they also have plenty of Christians as well, right? They can practice their religion "freely", and they even have constitutionally-guaranteed seats in their parliament. I say "freely" because it's not freely in the sense of religious practice here, but their rules are pretty simple: obey the law, which forbids attempting to convert Muslims. Christians get into trouble in Iran primarily because of trying to spread their faith. It is illegal, and just a bad idea in general when you are in a Muslim theocracy. I do not agree with that law, but I do respect their right to have it.

Muslims cause trouble everywhere they go. Look at these no go zones in Europe and even here. They just don't play well with others. They demand that everyone acquiesce to their wants. They may not try to kill you but they will and do cause trouble. They take their Sharia law everywhere they go.

Iran's view of Islam does not coincide with ISIS, they are polar opposites. Iran is not supporting ISIS, they are supporting the Shiite militias that are fighting ISIS. That makes perfect sense too, when you consider the fact that Iran is a Shiite country, and those Muslims ISIS is killing are also Shiite.

As for other religions, you do realize that Iran has the largest Jewish population of any Muslim country, and that they also have plenty of Christians as well, right? They can practice their religion "freely", and they even have constitutionally-guaranteed seats in their parliament. I say "freely" because it's not freely in the sense of religious practice here, but their rules are pretty simple: obey the law, which forbids attempting to convert Muslims. Christians get into trouble in Iran primarily because of trying to spread their faith. It is illegal, and just a bad idea in general when you are in a Muslim theocracy. I do not agree with that law, but I do respect their right to have it.

Muslims cause trouble everywhere they go. Look at these no go zones in Europe and even here. They just don't play well with others. They demand that everyone acquiesce to their wants. They may not try to kill you but they will and do cause trouble. They take their Sharia law everywhere they go.

No they do not.

No they do not.

Indeed. The ones I have met personally caused no trouble at all. In fact, I look forward to their family dinners when invited.

http://www.thereligi...011-taqiyya.htm

Islamophobe huh?

I simply asked a question and get called an islamophobe.

Really nice discussion we are going to have here.

DK,

Are you feeling ok today? I can't find where anyone has called you an Islamophobe and I looked thru all the posts in this thread twice.

Another question. Why are you posting a website that is extremely Anti everything Islam all while wanting to have a logical discussion on a word from there site. I have emailed 3 muslims about this word, tagiyya, and all 3 could not comprehend what this had to do with Islam. Normally they are happy to explain anything in their faith and will go to great lengths to gather information on any question they can't answer. So I found it odd when this word was not commonly taught or accepted by them.

No they do not.

Indeed. The ones I have met personally caused no trouble at all. In fact, I look forward to their family dinners when invited.

Some have been really hesitant to let their guard down but all muslim (and Hindu) store owners in my area are super hospitable once they feel comfortable around me. I have never been to dinner with any of the muslims but I have ate with a Hindu family from India. My mouth is still warm to this day. LOL!

No they do not.

Some have been really hesitant to let their guard down but all muslim (and Hindu) store owners in my area are super hospitable once they feel comfortable around me. I have never been to dinner with any of the muslims but I have ate with a Hindu family from India. My mouth is still warm to this day. LOL!

The Halal dinners I've been to featured a rather heavy dose of beef and lamb dishes (I personally love lamb). I would say that they do not love the heat like Indians do, but take that with a grain of salt from me. I keep habaneros handy at all times, and am known for incorporating a habanero or ghost pepper sauce in nearly everything eat.

taqiyya explained

http://www.ummah.com/forum/showthread.php?434322-What-is-taqiyya(non-Muslim-forum-wants-to-know)&p=6348997#post6348997

I will paste the first reply..

Sure link away

Taqiyya is something thrown around a lot by Islamophobes like Pamela Geller who want to attack Islam and say that "No Muslim can ever be trusted because they are using taqiyya to lie to you."

In reality, you are right. Taqiyya is a Shia Islam concept developed by Shias where they are allowed to lie in order to protect themselves from Sunni Muslims. Shias are extreme deviants, of course they would come up with some a deviant idea.

In mainstream Sunni Islam, the only time you can ever deny your faith is when you are in mortal danger, and you are never allowed to lie about Islam theology or scripture, ever.

Thanks guys! I was wondering what to make for dinner. I hope I have plenty of curry.

I've been sitting here dipping taquitos in a ghost pepper salsa since we started talking about food.

Everyone knows they are Islamists. Nevertheless we should avoid "Islamist" as a rule, because first, it actually gives ISIS what they want and secondly - from the essay in DKW's thread - the world wide literacy rate of Islams is like 40%. Why facilitate the idea of a "war on Islam" if you can avoid it?

We should call them "religious extremists/terrorists".

It would facilitate drying up of ISIS as well as piss them off. It's like dissing their whole reason for being.

Pssssst.....cut your losses. ;)

One of the core values of Western democracies that has been developing at least for the last 500 years is freedom of religion Freedom to believe or not believe what you want, as long as you don't harm anyone. If a religious group tries to harm someone, they are stopped by government force up to and including death.

It is ironic that our government is officially telling the world that certain groups of people are not real moslems based on their actions and announced beliefs. Meanwhile many moslems can't even agree who is and who isn't a Moslem and some moslems may sympathize with or even support the various Islamic terrorist groups for religious reasons.

Now this administration's solution is jobs for jihad........... They have no solution.

It isn't just ISIS. ISIS, because of their particularly brutal tactics have a low approval among muslims but groups such as hamas, the muslim brotherhood and hezbollah enjoy a good deal of support. Let's not assume that just because they disapprove of ISIS that the muslims of the world are all peace loving people. Iran and Hezbollah have sworn to wipe Israel off the map and, given the chance and the means to do so, will do precisely that. Go look at how Islam is operating in places like France and Great Britain and other countries of Europe. They are attempting to set up their own enclaves ruled entirely apart from the rest of the country. They've even attempted it to a degree here. Until Islam moves out of their 7th century mindset and has an enlightenment and reformation the world will continue to have problems with them. You cannot appease them. They don't want to get along and coexist. They want to dominate. Out of all the religions in the world, they are the only ones that cannot peacefully coexist with others. http://clashdaily.co...-along-others/#

Everyone knows they are Islamists. Nevertheless we should avoid "Islamist" as a rule, because first, it actually gives ISIS what they want and secondly - from the essay in DKW's thread - the world wide literacy rate of Islams is like 40%. Why facilitate the idea of a "war on Islam" if you can avoid it?

It would facilitate drying up of ISIS as well as piss them off. It's like dissing their whole reason for being.

homer, that article kind of changed my thinking too.

With illiteracy that high in the Muslim world, you have to know that there are indeed HUGE numbers of very backward folks that are extremely easily manipulated.

Well less than 5% have Internet Access. Forget well read, they are not "read" at all. They do not get to see differing views. The could easily be brainwashed into accepting anything.

With illiteracy that high in the Muslim world, you have to know that there afre indeed HUGE numbers of very backward folks that are extremely easily manipulated.

Well less than 5% have Internet Access. Forget well read, they are not "read" at all. They do not get to see differing views. The could easily be brainwashed into accepting anything.

Quite frankly there are a lot of people in this world that believe this stuff. All you have to do is look at this country and the stuff that people here believe about it. These are people that can read and write and have supposedly gotten an education but don't. This may not be my view of what Islam is or what you think it is but is their interpretation of what Islam is and it is definitely one way you can interpret things to be. They are not just recruiting illiterate, uneducated people to come in and do this. They are getting people from all walks of life and educational backgrounds to fight for them.

One of the core values of Western democracies that has been developing at least for the last 500 years is freedom of religion Freedom to believe or not believe what you want, as long as you don't harm anyone. If a religious group tries to harm someone, they are stopped by government force up to and including death.

It is ironic that our government is officially telling the world that certain groups of people are not real moslems based on their actions and announced beliefs. Meanwhile many moslems can't even agree who is and who isn't a Moslem and some moslems may sympathize with or even support the various Islamic terrorist groups for religious reasons.

Now this administration's solution is jobs for jihad........... They have no solution.

Again, and I hope this is expressed clearly. I think it is a dumb plan. However, to believe that the administration proposed jobs as the primary means by which to defeat ISIS is ridiculous to me. I believe it was proposed as only a small part of a long term strategy.

I believe that broad, diverse economic expansion could help the region. However, I also believe that is something that the ME governments have to do for themselves and their people.

With illiteracy that high in the Muslim world, you have to know that there afre indeed HUGE numbers of very backward folks that are extremely easily manipulated.

Quite frankly there are a lot of people in this world that believe this stuff. All you have to do is look at this country and the stuff that people here believe about it. These are people that can read and write and have supposedly gotten an education but don't. This may not be my view of what Islam is or what you think it is but is their interpretation of what Islam is and it is definitely one way you can interpret things to be. They are not just recruiting illiterate, uneducated people to come in and do this. They are getting people from all walks of life and educational backgrounds to fight for them.

Unfortunately, true as well. All the 9-11 Hijackers were essentially upper middle class or close to it.

Not even a clue...

With illiteracy that high in the Muslim world, you have to know that there are indeed HUGE numbers of very backward folks that are extremely easily manipulated.

Exactly. The fact we are dealing with a largely illiterate populace makes our job much harder.

Archived