Everything We Know Is Wrong

MDM4AU

Every day the newspapers carry stories of new scientific findings. There are 15 million scientists worldwide all trying to get their research published. But a disturbing fact appears if you look closely: as time goes by, many scientific findings seem to become less true than we thought. It’s called the “decline effect” – and some findings even dwindle away to zero.

A highly influential paper by Dr John Ioannidis at Stanford University called “Why most published research findings are false” argues that fewer than half of scientific papers can be believed, and that the hotter a scientific field (with more scientific teams involved), the less likely the research findings are to be true. He even showed that of the 49 most highly cited medical papers, only 34 had been retested and of them 41 per cent had been convincingly shown to be wrong. And yet they were still being cited.

Read more here:

https://forbiddenpsychology.wordpress.com/2014/08/28/everything-we-know-is-wrong/

I happen to follow one area of science , out of sheer interest, and have done so, for many years.

It seems every 6 months or so, a NEW study comes out, which completely flips the previously agreed upon status of one particular area of debate.

This caused this to happen !

No, in fact, it did NOT cause it to happen!

MORE proof of this as the cause is revealed !

Further studies prove the opposite to be true !

Caused it ! Didn't cause it ! DID ! DIDN'T !!!!!

I can only imagine the confusion of those who pay ZERO attention to the subject, and only know what they hear on the nightly news, based on the 10 seconds or so which may be devoted to the topic.

I can only imagine the confusion of those who pay ZERO attention to the subject, and only know what they hear on the nightly news, based on the 10 seconds or so which may be devoted to the topic.

Sadly, that is true of far more than scientific discoveries.

To me the reason is real simple. Too many "scientists" are little more than gov't whores. If their research comes to a conclusive, unchanging result, they have to find another project.for funds. Easer to just ride the gravy train.

Cancer research is classic area. If anyone ever found a cure, imagine all the scientists and big research labs that would be out in the cold.

The Global Warming area is another good example, although the disciples will deny it to their death.

If the cure for cancer was released to the public, the economy would immediately tank.

Assuming that is true, what does that say about us?

Stry....sadly for one thing I think it means we have a false trust in some areas of research. That is NOT to say everyone doing such research is bad, just that too many are dependent on the gov't for their funds. Having worked for the gov't for 35 years I can tell you from experience it is true.

If the cure for cancer was released to the public, the economy would immediately tank.

Assuming that is true, what does that say about us?

Depends on who "us" is. If you are talking about you and I, we are good people who try to do what is right. If you are talking about the country in general, the ones who benefit the most will pull the strings to protect their power and resources. At all costs.

Every day the newspapers carry stories of new scientific findings. There are 15 million scientists worldwide all trying to get their research published. But a disturbing fact appears if you look closely: as time goes by, many scientific findings seem to become less true than we thought. It's called the "decline effect" – and some findings even dwindle away to zero.

A highly influential paper by Dr John Ioannidis at Stanford University called "Why most published research findings are false" argues that fewer than half of scientific papers can be believed, and that the hotter a scientific field (with more scientific teams involved), the less likely the research findings are to be true. He even showed that of the 49 most highly cited medical papers, only 34 had been retested and of them 41 per cent had been convincingly shown to be wrong. And yet they were still being cited.

Read more here:

https://forbiddenpsy...-know-is-wrong/

Really not all that surprising considering how few experiments are replicated.

I suppose the advance in knowledge comes from the crucial ones being verified and built on. Perhaps the real point here is the amount of superfluous research is done.

Stry....sadly for one thing I think it means we have a false trust in some areas of research. That is NOT to say everyone doing such research is bad, just that too many are dependent on the gov't for their funds. Having worked for the gov't for 35 years I can tell you from experience it is true.

Yet, without government funding, basic research would largely disappear. No way private industry is going to fund it

To me the reason is real simple. Too many "scientists" are little more than gov't whores. If their research comes to a conclusive, unchanging result, they have to find another project.for funds. Easer to just ride the gravy train.

Cancer research is classic area. If anyone ever found a cure, imagine all the scientists and big research labs that would be out in the cold.

The Global Warming area is another good example, although the disciples will deny it to their death.

Ever watch Big Bang Theory ? They really do touch on some issues of the celebrity status of scientists, and how being published is fine and all, but being FUNDED is the real rock star status symbol. Of course, for the t.v. characters, $ is fine, but the TRUE pursuit of science and knowledge is the real goal they're all after.

It's a comedy show, so it works.

Archived