Dontavious Russell and Andrew Williams

ClaytonAU

will blow over, if bammers let it happen. She wasn't holding up a giant sign explaining her situation and possibly do to her issues she responded agressively which then resulted in a reactionary response...Have several friends suffering from the same thing, knowing them and everything about it, the dots don't connect...not gonna be more specific on this board as things seem to be fluid and facts are not known entirely.

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sounds like all parties involved have some growing up to do. It also sounds like people are making a federal case out of three kids losing their tempers over something pretty minor. I've seen this 100 times. People unwittingly push someone's buttons. Instead of calmly responding, that person responds with verbal agression, and then the offending parties, caught off guard by the verbal attack, respond in kind. Finally fuel is added to the fire when it hits social media and the poster "softens" their side of the story to increase the effect.

Nothing to see here. Move along.

This ^

Face it. College students, football players and others, do stupid crap. I don't see the point in making more out of it than what it was, which was stupid kids doing stupid stuff. If they did this I hope there are some stadium steps in their futures and they learn a valuable lesson from it. I agree our players should be held to a high standard because they represent the school, but if we bailed out on every student that did something stupid there wouldn't be many left in school.

I think the Air Force and K9's for Warriors ought to decide their punishment (on top of whatever Gus decides). Maybe about 100 hours of community service cleaning poop at the animal shelter would be a nice touch. Auburn fan for life but this is reprehensible...not unforgivable, but there clearly needs to be a life lesson taught.

I just wish people would let the facts come out before passing judgement on either side. The fact that this girl's sister is blowing up Twitter is very telling to me, but maybe that is just me. She seems to be working waaaaay too hard to make this into something it likely isn't. JMHO though.

If this were Jeremy Johnson and Carl Lawson, you guys would be singing a totally different tune. Don't lie and say you wouldn't. Stop freaking out. Have any of you ever called a woman a b****?

I just wish people would let the facts come out before passing judgement on either side. The fact that this girl's sister is blowing up Twitter is very telling to me, but maybe that is just me. She seems to be working waaaaay too hard to make this into something it likely isn't. JMHO though.

Agree. There's two sides to every story.

Two sides to the story. If she went off on them for trying to get the dog's attention, she's as much in the wrong as the players. She could have just as easily explained WHY they should stop instead of copping attitude. Being disabled isn't an excuse for being an ass whether you're a veteran or not.

THIS and let's be honest it is not as if you can automatically tell if someone is a veteran.

No but the dog was wearing a vest that states "service dog" on it. I'm just paraphrasing what was being posted. I've also let it be known that the group should follow process before posting negative remarks about the university but it's a little late for that now.

I have a question. As I am honestly ignorant about how to react to/with service animals. Can you not pet/talk to them as they go by? Also I hope the woman posting all the stuff can prove half of what she said cause if not it will end very poorly for her after the way she has very publicly attacked Auburn on the word of what appears to be a single individual.

You should always leave service dogs alone unless you have specific permission from the handler. You can potentially distract them from doing their job, which could potentially endanger an individual based on their disability.

I don't like this even a little bit. I hope they get severely punished or get gone and either one is fine with me.

Pending verification, of course.

for harassing a dog and calling a woman a bi*** after she flipped out??? That is absurd!!

The jury is still out. Being a disabled veteran does not give a person a pass to be a jerk. I have had a couple of disabled veterans in my family and am a veteran myself, though I'm not disabled.

People unfamiliar with service dogs will naturally treat them like any other dog and try to talk "doggie" to them. If the owner responds with some uncalled for negative reaction, such a mess as this is what would be expected. It doesn't sound like the guys were kicking the dog or any such thing as that. On the contrary they were probably being friendly to it and the owner went ballistic. If she's got a legitimate mental problem this could well be a "no fault" incident.

Of course service dogs should be left alone. Most people do not understand that. "Please don't distract him, he's a service dog" is an appropriate response. Screaming at a person with kind intentions is not an appropriate response.

I don't like this even a little bit. I hope they get severely punished or get gone and either one is fine with me.

for harassing a dog and calling a woman a bi*** after she flipped out??? That is absurd!!

Why did you delete the rest of my post? I edited the original at 8:04 this morning. You posted this at 8:13. Ergo, you cut out my edit. Reverse plagiarism, or just dishonesty on your part?

Two sides to the story. If she went off on them for trying to get the dog's attention, she's as much in the wrong as the players. She could have just as easily explained WHY they should stop instead of copping attitude. Being disabled isn't an excuse for being an ass whether you're a veteran or not.

THIS and let's be honest it is not as if you can automatically tell if someone is a veteran.

No but the dog was wearing a vest that states "service dog" on it. I'm just paraphrasing what was being posted. I've also let it be known that the group should follow process before posting negative remarks about the university but it's a little late for that now.

I have a question. As I am honestly ignorant about how to react to/with service animals. Can you not pet/talk to them as they go by? Also I hope the woman posting all the stuff can prove half of what she said cause if not it will end very poorly for her after the way she has very publicly attacked Auburn on the word of what appears to be a single individual.

You should always leave service dogs alone unless you have specific permission from the handler. You can potentially distract them from doing their job, which could potentially endanger an individual based on their disability.

the dog is a therapeutic dog moreso than a service dog. Those dogs help veterans cope with PTSD and that is it.

Why did you delete the rest of my post? I edited the original at 8:04 this morning. You posted this at 8:13. Ergo, you cut out my edit. Reverse plagiarism, or just dishonesty on your part?

I just got online and I'm typing on my phone. I have yet to see the edited version, paranoid one. Maybe next time I will wait 30 minutes to make sure you're not editing...

I just got online and I'm typing on my phone. I have yet to see the edited version, paranoid one. Maybe next time I will wait 30 minutes to make sure you're not editing...

Maybe if your phone is that slow (nine minutes behind) you should wait for a dependable connection before getting all huffy with someone.

Who knows exactly what happened here. More than likely the event was experienced quite differently by both parties involved. But in any event it seems like even in the most player-friendly account they could have chosen a better course of action. The veteran and her family have for better or worse pushed the incident into the public arena, and now the program needs to get out in front of it, and publicly apologize to the woman. And this should be a lesson to all of our student athletes, particularly the football and basketball players, that everything you do in public is being watched by someone and taken as representative of the University. So carry yourself accordingly.

The jury is still out. Being a disabled veteran does not give a person a pass to be a jerk. I have had a couple of disabled veterans in my family and am a veteran myself, though I'm not disabled.

People unfamiliar with service dogs will naturally treat them like any other dog and try to talk "doggie" to them. If the owner responds with some uncalled for negative reaction, such a mess as this is what would be expected. It doesn't sound like the guys were kicking the dog or any such thing as that. On the contrary they were probably being friendly to it and the owner went ballistic. If she's got a legitimate mental problem this could well be a "no fault" incident.

Of course service dogs should be left alone. Most people do not understand that. "Please don't distract him, he's a service dog" is an appropriate response. Screaming at a person with kind intentions is not an appropriate response.

I'm a veteran myself, I earned my CIB less than two weeks into my deployment. Anybody that knows a person with PTSD would realize that overreactions are common. Definitely in crowded places. I have several buds that literally drink themselves to death but they will never admit they have mental problems. I highly doubt the players knew she was a veteran. More likely, they saw the PTSD outburst and thought she was being a dick.

IMO, this entire incident is nothing more than a misunderstanding and an over reaction from all parties involved. A public appology should suffice and end the whole thing.

Maybe if your phone is that slow (nine minutes behind) you should wait for a dependable connection before getting all huffy with someone.

. My phone doesn't auto refresh jackass. I wasn't getting huffy either, but I can if you want to play this stupid game all day long.

I'm a veteran myself, I earned my CIB less than two weeks into my deployment. Anybody that knows a person with PTSD would realize that overreactions are common. Definitely in crowded places. I have several buds that literally drink themselves to death but they will never admit they have mental problems. I highly doubt the players knew she was a veteran. More likely, they saw the PTSD outburst and thought she was being a dick.

^^ i.e. A misunderstanding that a public appology would remedy. I would venture to guess that 75% of kids from 17-20 yrs old don't even know what the hell PTSD is, how it affects an individual or how/why the disorder originated for a veteran.

Archived