Dontavious Russell and Andrew Williams

ClaytonAU

If this were Jeremy Johnson and Carl Lawson, you guys would be singing a totally different tune. Don't lie and say you wouldn't. Stop freaking out. Have any of you ever called a woman a b****?

I have thought it but I don't think I have ever said that to a woman and I am not Sir Walter Raleigh or anything. I don't think its a fireable offense but part of the coaches job ought to be teaching these young men how to comport themselves. I feel sure that if they did what has been said a commensurate punishment will be meted out. Alabama might not be perfect but I like to think that most of us still hold on to a certain of chivalry when it comes to women. It's not too much to expect the players to conform at least to certain minimum standards of behavior.

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply

IMO, this entire incident is nothing more than a misunderstanding and an over reaction from all parties involved. A public appology should suffice and end the whole thing.

I agree...but the die has been cast. Auburn is going to get plastered regardless. I've posted several level headed posts on the K9's for Warriors FB Page but those people have a torch lit and as usual, they want "blood"....if you will.

IMO, this entire incident is nothing more than a misunderstanding and an over reaction from all parties involved. A public appology should suffice and end the whole thing.

I agree...but the die has been cast. Auburn is going to get plastered regardless. I've posted several level headed posts on the K9's for Warriors FB Page but those people have a torch lit and as usual, they want "blood"....if you will.

yeah I saw that. If an apology isn't good enough, they have a different agenda than they are letting on.

Maybe she WAS being a bitch. I may be wrong but I seriously doubt the players reacted that was because she politely asked them to stop. If that's the case, I would like to hear the account from impartial witnesses. There should be plenty.

yeah I saw that. If an apology isn't good enough, they have a different agenda than they are letting on.

I believe some of them do have an agenda. That group is based out of the panhandle of FL and I bet you they love seeing AU get some bad pub.

Maybe she WAS being a bitch. I may be wrong but I seriously doubt the players reacted that was because she politely asked them to stop. If that's the case, I would like to hear the account from impartial witnesses. There should be plenty.

I could see this. I know there were multiple witnesses to her reacting to the players but as most of us know when you are walking from class to class with a phone in our hands you don't pay a lot of attention to what is going on. Some will use this to their advantage (Auburn haters, men haters, player haters. etc.) but I could easily see those two trying to get the dogs attention, the young lady getting tired of people trying to get the dogs attention, and reacting in a way that incited a reply that isn't taken very well. I think both parties should sit down and talk it over.

Two sides to the story. If she went off on them for trying to get the dog's attention, she's as much in the wrong as the players. She could have just as easily explained WHY they should stop instead of copping attitude. Being disabled isn't an excuse for being an ass whether you're a veteran or not.

THIS and let's be honest it is not as if you can automatically tell if someone is a veteran.

No but the dog was wearing a vest that states "service dog" on it. I'm just paraphrasing what was being posted. I've also let it be known that the group should follow process before posting negative remarks about the university but it's a little late for that now.

I have a question. As I am honestly ignorant about how to react to/with service animals. Can you not pet/talk to them as they go by? Also I hope the woman posting all the stuff can prove half of what she said cause if not it will end very poorly for her after the way she has very publicly attacked Auburn on the word of what appears to be a single individual.

You should always leave service dogs alone unless you have specific permission from the handler. You can potentially distract them from doing their job, which could potentially endanger an individual based on their disability.

the dog is a therapeutic dog moreso than a service dog. Those dogs help veterans cope with PTSD and that is it.

I understand the animals purpose. They have also been used for depression and anxiety disorders for a very long time and have experience with them.

You should still speak with and get permission from the handler to interact with the animal regardless of being service, emotional, or therapy classification.

Also for AUtiger2012, always read their vest (it will identify the form of dog most times in the 3 previously mentioned categories). Even in the case of therapy dogs handlers can prefer to be asked:

therapy-harnessx.jpg

The jury is still out. Being a disabled veteran does not give a person a pass to be a jerk. I have had a couple of disabled veterans in my family and am a veteran myself, though I'm not disabled.

People unfamiliar with service dogs will naturally treat them like any other dog and try to talk "doggie" to them. If the owner responds with some uncalled for negative reaction, such a mess as this is what would be expected. It doesn't sound like the guys were kicking the dog or any such thing as that. On the contrary they were probably being friendly to it and the owner went ballistic. If she's got a legitimate mental problem this could well be a "no fault" incident.

Of course service dogs should be left alone. Most people do not understand that. "Please don't distract him, he's a service dog" is an appropriate response. Screaming at a person with kind intentions is not an appropriate response.

Best response I've seen so far. There's a girl that I see between classes on a regular basis who has a service dog and people continuously approach and pet the dog. I can tell it bothers her. A lot of people just don't know how to act around a service dog. I can see the players being ignorant and the girl getting frustrated/upset. Things boil over from there. Obviously they shouldn't be calling her anything but stuff like that happens... I know I've let words slip before. I would be SHOCKED if things played out the way internet message boards are saying they did.

Two sides to the story. If she went off on them for trying to get the dog's attention, she's as much in the wrong as the players. She could have just as easily explained WHY they should stop instead of copping attitude. Being disabled isn't an excuse for being an ass whether you're a veteran or not.

THIS and let's be honest it is not as if you can automatically tell if someone is a veteran.

No but the dog was wearing a vest that states "service dog" on it. I'm just paraphrasing what was being posted. I've also let it be known that the group should follow process before posting negative remarks about the university but it's a little late for that now.

I have a question. As I am honestly ignorant about how to react to/with service animals. Can you not pet/talk to them as they go by? Also I hope the woman posting all the stuff can prove half of what she said cause if not it will end very poorly for her after the way she has very publicly attacked Auburn on the word of what appears to be a single individual.

You should always leave service dogs alone unless you have specific permission from the handler. You can potentially distract them from doing their job, which could potentially endanger an individual based on their disability.

the dog is a therapeutic dog moreso than a service dog. Those dogs help veterans cope with PTSD and that is it.

I understand the animals purpose. They have also been used for depression and anxiety disorders for a very long time and have experience with them.

You should still speak with and get permission from the handler to interact with the animal regardless of being service, emotional, or therapy classification.

Also for AUtiger2012, always read their vest (it will identify the form of dog most times in the 3 previously mentioned categories). Even in the case of therapy dogs handlers can prefer to be asked:

therapy-harnessx.jpg

Her dog was not wearing a vest. FWIW.

And she is not a combat vet. She has a dog for another reason. And her sister is the one stirring the pot. She is an huge updyke that was working for AU. She was fired from AU after two months. No clue why.

Lot more to this story so I would just chill.

The jury is still out. Being a disabled veteran does not give a person a pass to be a jerk. I have had a couple of disabled veterans in my family and am a veteran myself, though I'm not disabled.

People unfamiliar with service dogs will naturally treat them like any other dog and try to talk "doggie" to them. If the owner responds with some uncalled for negative reaction, such a mess as this is what would be expected. It doesn't sound like the guys were kicking the dog or any such thing as that. On the contrary they were probably being friendly to it and the owner went ballistic. If she's got a legitimate mental problem this could well be a "no fault" incident.

Of course service dogs should be left alone. Most people do not understand that. "Please don't distract him, he's a service dog" is an appropriate response. Screaming at a person with kind intentions is not an appropriate response.

I'm a veteran myself, I earned my CIB less than two weeks into my deployment. Anybody that knows a person with PTSD would realize that overreactions are common. Definitely in crowded places. I have several buds that literally drink themselves to death but they will never admit they have mental problems. I highly doubt the players knew she was a veteran. More likely, they saw the PTSD outburst and thought she was being a dick.

FWIW her PTSD is not from combat it stems from a sexual assault while serving in the air force stateside (the reason for the PTSD was detailed in the AL.com article). Now with that said apparently the players were whistling and making kissing noises at the dog which is fairly common behavior to get a dogs attention but could trigger some bad memories for someone with PTSD from that kind of incident. Like has been said earlier I think she likely reacted harshly to something that was meant innocently and was not inappropriate under most circumstances and the players reacted in an inappropriate manner to her verbal attack like a lot of us would do even if it is not the right way to handle the situation.

Gus and the players having already apologized seems to be the most appropriate course of action if it goes further it will be due to ulterior motives on someone's part.

therapy-harnessx.jpg

And she is not a combat vet. She has a dog for another reason. And her sister is the one stirring the pot. She is an huge updyke that was working for AU. She was fired from AU after two months. No clue why.

The person asked how to approach service dogs. I answered this question:

I have a question. As I am honestly ignorant about how to react to/with service animals. Can you not pet/talk to them as they go by?

This is much worse than a DUI

You can't be serious. A DUI puts peoples lives in danger; ie: innocent bystanders can be killed. You're telling me that this veterans' feelings being hurt are WORSE than a DUI? Turn your brain on for a second.

therapy-harnessx.jpg

She is not a combat veteran but she suffers PTSD from a sexual assault that occurred while in the military. PTSD is not exclusive to combat, but to any life- altering, traumatic event that affects the brain, such as car wrecks or bad childhood experiences. We have to think about what she is going through and realize that she is not mentally stable, hence the overreaction. The Facebook page and her sister are just making matters worse IMO.

If this were Jeremy Johnson and Carl Lawson, you guys would be singing a totally different tune. Don't lie and say you wouldn't. Stop freaking out. Have any of you ever called a woman a b****?

I have thought it but I don't think I have ever said that to a woman and I am not Sir Walter Raleigh or anything. I don't think its a fireable offense but part of the coaches job ought to be teaching these young men how to comport themselves. I feel sure that if they did what has been said a commensurate punishment will be meted out. Alabama might not be perfect but I like to think that most of us still hold on to a certain of chivalry when it comes to women. It's not too much to expect the players to conform at least to certain minimum standards of behavior.

I never said that they shouldn't be held accountable or that their actions were ok, I just addressed the hyper-sensitive, overreacting, pitchfork wielding, jump to conclusions crowd. They should apologize and that should be the end of it.

I saw what appeared to be her sisters twitter and she is tweeting and retweeting everything she can. It almost seems like a personal vendetta; much like that Selena Roberts thing. She seems much more interested in smearing Auburn than she does anything else.

Here is one of her tweets. Please don't start a tweet war with her. You can't win against someone like this. Talk about BS rhetoric.

@SEC Help us fight the bullying @CoachGusMalzahn allows players to humiliate and disrespect veterans #AuburnTigersOnNotice

2:30 PM - 17 Feb 2015

I have spoken with upper administration and the K9's for Warriors group will be invited to speak about this topic to our entire student athlete population. It can be a teaching moment for all involved.

I keep seeing people making excuses for both sides and wonder what in the world ever happened to plain old common sense. No, it's not okay to lash out at people (especially when they don't know about your backstory or your PTSD). But when did it ever become acceptable to call another human being a f@#$ing Bi*** (or whatever was said)? All of this could have been averted if someone..ANYONE had just taken the high road and walked away.

I know this is a media black eye now, but I hope Gus sees it as an opportunity and can make something good come from it.

therapy-harnessx.jpg

She is not a combat veteran but she suffers PTSD from a sexual assault that occurred while in the military. PTSD is not exclusive to combat, but to any life- altering, traumatic event that affects the brain, such as car wrecks or bad childhood experiences. We have to think about what she is going through and realize that she is not mentally stable, hence the overreaction. The Facebook page and her sister are just making matters worse IMO.

Absolutely!

There is a lot of hyperbole in her, her sister's and that organization's responses. I wouldn't be at all surprised if their version of the story is exaggerated. But something likely happened to provoke such an emotional response, and you'd hope that our players would generally be respectful towards people.

The players will be taught a lesson, but I can't imagine this is- or should be- a "fireable offense". If there is a broader culture problem within the football program, it will expose itself with other incidents (I do not consider the handful of minor infractions from the past 12 months to be representative of anything other than a normal group of 100-some-odd college dudes).

I'm upset any time our guys are disrespectful, but I'm not going to worry about the general state of our program over this.

Archived