State Dept. Bungles Another One?

Proud Tiger

Read the article dude. If you interpret what the article said or implies about Marines so be it. But I didn't write it and you can go on until hell freezes over but you can't find one thing I said negative about Marines. I know it, you know it,and others here know it. You only win in your warped mind and your overinflated ego won't allow you to be man enough to admit you are wrong. You are just a sore loser.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Read the article dude. If you interpret what the article said or implies about Marines so be it. But I didn't write it and you can go on until hell freezes over but you can't find one thing I said negative about Marines. I know it, you know it,and others here know it. You only win in your warped mind and your overinflated ego won't allow you to be man enough to admit you are wrong. You are just a sore loser.

The article didn't imply that because the article didn't say anything about classified material being left out for others to find. YOU are the one who lied and said that the article did say that. So I posted the entire article here and begged you to point it out. You couldn't. Thus through your deception and lies, you wound up accusing the Marines of not doing their job. You sure you want to continue this?

I said way back I misspoke about "secret" or classified info being left behind. The article say "sensitive" info.And as I said before that COULD be classified. Can you say it wasn't.......no and neither can I. So you can continue to sling your garbage if you want but you still can't say where I said one negative thing about Marines. Me Iie? No YOU lie!!!

You maybe an officer but you sure aren't a gentleman.

To answer your question....sure I will continue on as long as necessary to defend myself against your false accusations. Its cold outside and I have nothing better to do. But others have asked you, ......don't you have duties to take care of?.

Best thing that could happen is for a mod to lock this thread.

You have made a bid deal out of nothing and the link I posted still stands on it's own.

I said way back I misspoke about "secret" or classified info being left behind. The article say "sensitive" info.And as I said before that COULD be classified. Can you say it wasn't.......no and neither can I. So you can continue to sling your garbage if you want but you still can't say where I said one negative thing about Marines. Me Iie? No YOU lie!!!

You maybe an officer but you sure aren't a gentleman.

To answer your question....sure I will continue on as long as necessary to defend myself against your false accusations. Its cold outside and I have nothing better to do. But others have asked you, ......don't you have duties to take care of?.

Best thing that could happen is for a mod to lock this thread.

You said the article specifically mentioned MATERIALs. Why would you purposely try to deceive us? I know, to get your little jab in but what you did instead was accuse the Marines of a crime.

You are hopelessly stupid. You go on and on but can't show anyone where I accused Marines of doing anything wrong., let alone accuse them of a crime. Even the article didn't say anything bad about the Marines. The point of the article was about the chaos surrounding the evacuation but that apparently went over your head as your panties got in a wad. As I said way back....put up or STFU.

You are hopelessly stupid. You go on and on but can't show anyone where I accused Marines of doing anything wrong., let alone accuse them of a crime. As I said way back....put up or STFU.

You believed that Secret Materials were left out, not destroyed, in the open for others to see. You said it, not me. That is a crime. The Marines are in charge of destroying Classified Material at embassies around the world. Thus you have accused the Marines of committing a crime.

2nd time the call to back up the claim that anyone HERE has disparaged the Marines, and so far, nothing.

Best USN has offered up is twisted, contorted connecting of imaginary dots based upon a straw man of his own fertile mind.

Thank you Raptor. Note that he is now telling me what I believed. he is omnipotent.

Then why would you start this thread and continue to deceive us as to what the article actually said? What was your motivation? We all know. It was to blame the State Department. But what you did instead was accuse the Marines of a crime.

I posted an article about the chaos surrounding the evacuation of the embassy. The article seemed to place some blame on the DoS. I didn't specifically. I wasn't there and am not smart enough to know what happened. I guess you missed the question mark in the topic title. You still rant on but can't show where I accuse the Marines of doing anything wrong. After your all day long accusation it has become a figment of your imagination.

Then why would you start this thread and continue to deceive us as to what the article actually said? What was your motivation? We all know. It was to blame the State Department.

As the title of the OT quite plainly stated, from the start.

But what you did instead was accuse the Marines of a crime.

And here is where I think the OCD kicks in, and maybe worse.

No such accusation of the Marines appears in this thread, by PT or anyone, save you, USN. This is a claim made up ENTIRELY by you, pulled from the ether, or your own mind.

I wasn't arguing.

No kidding. :-\

Neither was Blue.

The only one arguing was USN, by claiming the Marines were being accused of crimes when no such thing was true.

USN was creating a straw man argument, and getting all bent out of shape over his imagined slight.

Perhaps USN made a logical deduction from what you did say.

Your were referring to possibly negligent actions when the Marines were the responsible ones for executing those actions. That's a fairly straightforward inference.

AUUSN......How many times do I have to say I retracted the word "secret." But the article does say sensitive material which MIGHT include classified info. Any intelligent person reading the article and the apparent chaos (also mentioned in several other articles I've read) would conclude that the lives of Marines and others were placed in danger.

Now you show me where I said ANYTHING disparaging about our Marines.

Here is the article. Please for the love of humanity show me where it states 'Material!?'

Internal State Department emails reviewed by Fox News reveal that as security unraveled in Yemen, U.S. personnel were scrambling to finalize their exit plan and were so uncertain about what would happen that procedures for safeguarding sensitive information were bypassed -- with permission from Washington.

The unclassified emails reveal staff on the ground in Yemen, as well as senior department executives in Washington, were concerned the evacuation might go bad and left a communication network running at the embassy in case staff had to return. The emails point to uncertainty on the ground amid fast-moving developments, even as the Obama administration downplayed any irregularities.

"It wasn't hasty," State Department spokeswoman Jen Psaki insisted on Fox News' "The Kelly File" on Feb. 12, a day after the evacuation.

But one email reviewed by Fox News showed genuine concern -- even panic -- in Washington, that an unclassified system exposing emails and day-to-day operations was left up and running at the embassy in Sanaa.

"We need to quickly think about the plan for destroying/sanitizing the OpenNet data that is still in Sanaa," the email from a supervisor said.

"I am a little worried it is still out there."

That referred to a main communication link with Washington, known as OpenNet. The emails show that system -- at what was one of the most heavily guarded U.S. embassies in the Middle East -- was not shut down, in what was described to Fox News as a break in standard practice.

On Feb. 8, Ambassador Matthew Tueller -- with the approval of Under Secretary Patrick Kennedy, one of the State Department's most senior executives -- ordered staff to leave the OpenNet link up, in case the evacuation plan failed and they had to return to the embassy for an indefinite period.

But the worried email sent three days later showed the ramifications of leaving the system exposed, and it urged officials to implement a plan to destroy or clean up that data "as soon as possible."

The U.S. joined Britain and France last week in pulling out of Yemen, closing their embassies and removing staff amid a civil war driven by Iran-aligned Shiite rebels. Yemen is also home to one of the most dangerous Al Qaeda affiliates, and the U.S. pullout has raised questions about the future of the U.S. counterterrorism program there.

But the fact that sensitive information was left at the compound raises additional questions.

Fox News is told that after the U.S. team fled, it took three days to remotely access and delete the remaining data. Servers containing financial information, as well as passport and visa requests with personal information, also had to be cleared.

Tony Shaffer, a former military intelligence officer now with the London Center for Policy Research, explained how the information left unguarded at the compound could have posed problems.

"If they are able to exploit it, that is say break it open and potentially analyze it and categorize it this will give them a great deal of information about how U.S. embassies function," he said.

Psaki, speaking with Fox News, acknowledged that not everything went as planned.

But, she said, "We've been planning these for weeks and everybody was following the proper protocol put in place for the advance."

Psaki's claim that there was a long-standing plan conflicts with email traffic, just days before the evacuation, requesting further guidance and instruction on closing the embassy.

Also, by Feb. 8, three days before the evacuation, the emails clearly show the plan was to leave on commercial air, and not a U.S. military aircraft, which would have allowed the Marines at the post to take their weapons with them. During the evacuation, military personnel had to destroy or render inoperable their weapons before boarding the aircraft. There is no evidence the State Department tried to charter out to a U.S.-controlled airbase that would have allowed the Marines to stay armed.

Asked about the emails on Wednesday, Psaki said: "We successfully moved our personnel out. And I think that's what everybody should be focused on."

Catherine Herridge is an award-winning Chief Intelligence correspondent for FOX News Channel (FNC) based in Washington, D.C. She covers intelligence, the Justice Department and the Department of Homeland Security. Herridge joined FNC in 1996 as a London-based correspondent.

But one email reviewed by Fox News showed genuine concern -- even panic -- in Washington, that an unclassified system exposing emails and day-to-day operations was left up and running at the embassy in Sanaa.

"We need to quickly think about the plan for destroying/sanitizing the OpenNet data that is still in Sanaa," the email from a supervisor said.

That referred to a main communication link with Washington, known as OpenNet. The emails show that system -- at what was one of the most heavily guarded U.S. embassies in the Middle East -- was not shut down, in what was described to Fox News as a break in standard practice.

On Feb. 8, Ambassador Matthew Tueller -- with the approval of Under Secretary Patrick Kennedy, one of the State Department's most senior executives -- ordered staff to leave the OpenNet link up, in case the evacuation plan failed and they had to return to the embassy for an indefinite period.

But the worried email sent three days later showed the ramifications of leaving the system exposed, and it urged officials to implement a plan to destroy or clean up that data "as soon as possible."

But the fact that sensitive information was left at the compound raises additional questions.

Fox News is told that after the U.S. team fled, it took three days to remotely access and delete the remaining data. Servers containing financial information, as well as passport and visa requests with personal information, also had to be cleared.

Tony Shaffer, a former military intelligence officer now with the London Center for Policy Research, explained how the information left unguarded at the compound could have posed problems.

"If they are able to exploit it, that is say break it open and potentially analyze it and categorize it this will give them a great deal of information about how U.S. embassies function," he said.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

AUUSN, Not trying to be confrontational but, are you parsing words when you state electronic media isn't material? Also curious about your thoughts on Mr. Shaffer's comments. Do you think there is a remote possibility this could cause problems as he suggests?

No adults in the State Dept either...

You might feel at home, then.

You'd answer the door.....;) joke. Lol

You'd answer the door..... ;) joke. Lol

A good one I might add. Witty.

AUUSN......You are just nitpicking to avoid the reality of what happened. Remember your erroneous comment about weapons?

Accusing our Marines of committing a crime? You are FOS. Did you even read my OP about putting our Marines in danger? I had dinner in Auburn Tuesday evening with an old Maine buddy from NROTC days. You couldn't carry his jock strap.

Carry on if you like with your crap. I'm fixing to go enjoy a walk around the Auburn campus on a nice crisp morning. I for sure won't waste any more time with you.

Hey Stry.....you need to talk your frend into getting the Stry Spirit.

Sounds like you could use a refresher yourself. ;)

You'd answer the door.....;)/> joke. Lol

Not if I checked the peephole. ;)/>

Or the closed circuit camera and inferred? :)

AUUSN......How many times do I have to say I retracted the word "secret." But the article does say sensitive material which MIGHT include classified info. Any intelligent person reading the article and the apparent chaos (also mentioned in several other articles I've read) would conclude that the lives of Marines and others were placed in danger.

Here is the article. Please for the love of humanity show me where it states 'Material!?'

Internal State Department emails reviewed by Fox News reveal that as security unraveled in Yemen, U.S. personnel were scrambling to finalize their exit plan and were so uncertain about what would happen that procedures for safeguarding sensitive information were bypassed -- with permission from Washington.

The unclassified emails reveal staff on the ground in Yemen, as well as senior department executives in Washington, were concerned the evacuation might go bad and left a communication network running at the embassy in case staff had to return. The emails point to uncertainty on the ground amid fast-moving developments, even as the Obama administration downplayed any irregularities.

"It wasn't hasty," State Department spokeswoman Jen Psaki insisted on Fox News' "The Kelly File" on Feb. 12, a day after the evacuation.

The U.S. joined Britain and France last week in pulling out of Yemen, closing their embassies and removing staff amid a civil war driven by Iran-aligned Shiite rebels. Yemen is also home to one of the most dangerous Al Qaeda affiliates, and the U.S. pullout has raised questions about the future of the U.S. counterterrorism program there.

Psaki, speaking with Fox News, acknowledged that not everything went as planned.

But, she said, "We've been planning these for weeks and everybody was following the proper protocol put in place for the advance."

Psaki's claim that there was a long-standing plan conflicts with email traffic, just days before the evacuation, requesting further guidance and instruction on closing the embassy.

Also, by Feb. 8, three days before the evacuation, the emails clearly show the plan was to leave on commercial air, and not a U.S. military aircraft, which would have allowed the Marines at the post to take their weapons with them. During the evacuation, military personnel had to destroy or render inoperable their weapons before boarding the aircraft. There is no evidence the State Department tried to charter out to a U.S.-controlled airbase that would have allowed the Marines to stay armed.

Asked about the emails on Wednesday, Psaki said: "We successfully moved our personnel out. And I think that's what everybody should be focused on."

Catherine Herridge is an award-winning Chief Intelligence correspondent for FOX News Channel (FNC) based in Washington, D.C. She covers intelligence, the Justice Department and the Department of Homeland Security. Herridge joined FNC in 1996 as a London-based correspondent.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

AUUSN, Not trying to be confrontational but, are you parsing words when you state electronic media isn't material? Also curious about your thoughts on Mr. Shaffer's comments. Do you think there is a remote possibility this could cause problems as he suggests?

The first sentence in your response uses the word "unclassified". It then goes on to discuss OpenNet, which has been covered already. It does not illustrate any classified information. As the resident network engineer in the thread, there is a great distinction between classified and unclassified networks.

The first sentence in your response uses the word "unclassified". It then goes on to discuss OpenNet, which has been covered already. It does not illustrate any classified information. As the resident network engineer in the thread, there is a great distinction between classified and unclassified networks.

Did I misread?

"But the fact that sensitive information was left at the compound raises additional questions. Servers containing financial information, as well as passport and visa requests with personal information, also had to be cleared."

"If they are able to exploit it, that is say break it open and potentially analyze it and categorize it this will give them a great deal of information about how U.S. embassies function,"

Did I misread?

"But the fact that sensitive information was left at the compound raises additional questions. Servers containing financial information, as well as passport and visa requests with personal information, also had to be cleared."

Was sensitive information passed about on an unclassified network? Is the issue that a potentially unsecured PC, on an unsecured network, was left behind? If that is the case, I have already explained how WAN's are terminated on this end, without giving anyone's access to resources contained therein. The hard drive has whatever the hard drive would have had on it without sensational news stories blowing it up, which is likely not much. The software required to successfully recover such information is neither cheap or easy to use.

Did I misread?

Was sensitive information passed about on an unclassified network? Is the issue that a potentially unsecured PC, on an unsecured network, was left behind? If that is the case, I have already explained how WAN's are terminated on this end, without giving anyone's access to resources contained therein. The hard drive has whatever the hard drive would have had on it without sensational news stories blowing it up, which is likely not much. The software required to successfully recover such information is neither cheap or easy to use.

Are you saying the administrations concerns were not warranted?

Archived