An Israel Supporter Who Won't Be at the Prime Minister's Speech

homersapien

http://www.huffingto...=world&ir=World

An Israel Supporter Who Won't Be at the Prime Minister's Speech

Rep. Jan Schakowsky

After much thought, I have made the decision not to attend Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu's March 3 scheduled address before a joint session of Congress, while still hoping it will either be postponed to a more appropriate date or delivered in a closed session.

As a Jew, support for Israel is in my DNA. Throughout my nine terms in the U.S. House, I have advocated that Congress and the administration stand with Israel in a bipartisan way to protect Israel's security and very right to exist. I strongly agree with both the prime minister of Israel and the president of the United States that Iran can never be allowed to possess a nuclear weapon.

That is why I feel particularly anguished that the ill-advised invitation from Republican House Speaker John Boehner has managed to threaten, in my view, both the security of Israel and the historic bipartisan support in the Congress.

Much has been made of the ham-handed politics: inviting the prime minister to speak two weeks before his election and failing to consult with either the president or House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi. As much as I agree with those critics, I am more concerned about two lasting and serious consequences that could result from the prime minister's actions.

First is the scuttling of the delicate negotiations with Iran, the goal of which is to prevent Iran from building a nuclear weapon. The prime minister wants the negotiations to end, and his purpose in speaking to the Congress is to convince us that the president is about to agree to a deal that threatens Israel's existence. He believes the president is naïve in thinking that he and the P5+1 can achieve any agreement that will stop Iran from rushing toward a bomb.

The prime minister may be correct that no deal can be reached. In fact, President Obama and his negotiators go into this with eyes wide open. As the president has said, "A bad deal is worse than no deal." But even if there is only a small chance that an agreement can be reached that will prevent Iran from building, perhaps within months, a nuclear weapon, why not keep working at it? Having been briefed about some of the non-negotiables that the U.S. and our allies have put forth, I strongly favor letting the talks proceed unhindered. If the talks are to fail, let Iran be the party that walks away from the table rather than the United States. If the U.S. were the cause of the collapse, our allies in the carefully crafted P5+1 would drop their support for the sanctions regime, shattering the international effort to stop Iran.

What is the alternative to an agreement? Yes, the United States will increase sanctions. But does anyone doubt that Iran will build a nuclear weapon regardless of sanctions? Then the choices will be ugly: accepting a nuclear-weaponized Iran or accepting military action (i.e., war with Iran). For me it's obvious that we must give the negotiations a chance. And, in the meantime, Iran has essentially halted its weapons program under the Joint Plan of Action while the talks are ongoing.

My second concern is the damage that has been done to bipartisan support for Israel. This is not the first time that the Republicans have tried to divide the Democrats and paint themselves as the only true supporters of Israel. The reality is that, when it comes to tangible deliverables, the Obama administration has been unfailing in its cooperation with Israel -- more so than most, if not all, administrations over the last 40 years.

As columnist Doug Bloomfield notes:

• Obama has never embargoed arms to Israel as Reagan did to punish it for bombing Saddam Hussein's nuclear reactor. Reagan even joined with Iraqi diplomats in writing and passing a UN resolution condemning the Israeli attack.

• Obama never sought to delay or cut aid to Israel approved by Congress as both the Reagan and Bush 41 administrations did.

• President Ford ordered a "reassessment" of relations with Israel in 1975 because of what the administration called Israeli "intransigence" in negotiations with Egypt and Syria.

As an eight-year member of the House Intelligence Committee, I know for a fact that our security and intelligence agencies have never worked more closely, making it all the harder to swallow the prime minister coming to lobby our Congress, in the most public and heretofore prestigious settings, to reject U.S. efforts to peacefully eliminate the threat of nuclear weapons in Iran. As Meir Dagan, former head of Mossad, Israel's intelligence agency, said:

Netanyahu's position will not change the West's position on the Iranian issue, but his actions bring our relationship with the Americans to an extreme point and this might extract an unbearable price from us in the future.

In talking to my Democratic colleagues, I believe this is not an idle concern.

There is still time to reschedule or relocate the speech. Prime Minister Netanyahu, his ambassador to the United States, Ron Dermer, and House Speaker John Boehner should immediately rethink this dangerous mistake and follow the advice of former Ambassador Michael Oren, who said, "It's advisable to cancel the speech to Congress so as not to cause a rift with the American government."

And I would add, "So as not to bring Israel, the United States and perhaps the world closer to war with Iran."

Follow Rep. Jan Schakowsky on Twitter:www.twitter.com/janschakowsky

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dear Mr. Netanyahu....welcome to America.........the majority of Americans welcome your visit and are eager to hear your comments. We are always open to hear the viewpoints of other world leaders, especially from longtime allies. I'm not sure why a few are afraid to hear your comments., but I'm sure you know there are those who will always object to anything.

I would only hope that all members of our House, regardless of their political affiliation, treat you with respect and maybe learn something of value to the security of our country.

Dear Mr. Netanyahu....welcome to America.........the majority of Americans welcome your visit and are eager to hear your comments. We are always open to hear the viewpoints of other world leaders, especially from longtime allies. I'm not sure why a few are afraid to hear your comments., but I'm sure you know there are those who will always object to anything.

I didnt know Netanyahu was an Auburn fan. I wonder if his screen name is AURaptor...

I know one thing......I have a hell of a lot more respect for him than I do a faux sailor.

Hey you forgot to sign your heart felt note. How about XOXO? Next time just keep it short. Dear Bibi, do you like me? Yes or No (circle one)

You seem confused, but what's new?

I expressed my opinion. You are entitled to your"s Chief.

Yawn.....good night.

Dont forget your prayers to Bibi...

Lots of jews in this country vote and support democratic even though democrats are the enemy of Israel and support their enemies. The psychology of that is fascinating. They are like all other liberals. That comes first in their life above all else.

Lots of jews in this country vote and support democratic even though democrats are the enemy of Israel and support their enemies. The psychology of that is fascinating. They are like all other liberals. That comes first in their life above all else.

Even other Jews are stumped. I heard Jackie Mason try to explain it once, and even he said it made no sense.

The only democracy in the middle east, why wouldn't you support them? Look at the other countries in the region, the human rights violations are terrible, and Iran is not to be trusted they have a track record proving they are not trustworthy.

The only democracy in the middle east, why wouldn't you support them? Look at the other countries in the region, the human rights violations are terrible, and Iran is not to be trusted they have a track record proving they are not trustworthy.

Liberals have distinct fondness for tyrants and dictators and such. They don't have a real good record on such things. They shrug off the human rights abuses because they love the total control these governments have. It makes them jealous.

Liberals have distinct fondness for tyrants and dictators and such. They don't have a real good record on such things. They shrug off the human rights abuses because they love the total control these governments have. It makes them jealous.

I personally believe it stems from their underlying belief that society can be made better , as they define it, and that power to make everything great and fair has to come from the top. They love the idea of communism, but just feel the right people haven't been in charge for long enough to bring about their utopian world.

But as Obama said " we are the people we've been waiting for " . Their messiah has finally arrived, in the flesh.

I personally believe it stems from their underlying belief that society can be made better , as they define it, and that power to make everything great and fair has to come from the top. They love the idea of communism, but just feel the right people haven't been in charge for long enough to bring about their utopian world.

But as Obama said " we are the people we've been waiting for " . Their messiah has finally arrived, in the flesh.

That sums it up perfectly. People aren't competent enough to take care of their own affairs in a responsible manner so they need government to make those decisions for them.

Democrats support Israel. Some of us just know when bibi is being bibi. This talk with congress is the same political campaign that we have seen before. Maybe he will bring more pictures.

You speak of "messiahs" yet support bibi coming to address the United States Congress? Smh

The WH has broken laws left and right. (Pun intended)...

You speak of "messiahs" yet support bibi coming to address the United States Congress? Smh

Bibi understands the nature of the threat which evidently you don't He lives it 24/7. It's easy for you over here in your safe little world to criticize him. You want him to make concessions but don't demand it of Hamas or Hezbollah. They will make a statement saying they recognize Israels right to exist and then 5 minutes later launch an attack but yet when Israel responds the libs descend upon them. Your support is all words but nothing substantive. They don't need platitudes. They need the United States to actually demonstrate leadership and do something.

Hey guess what? Bibi lives u der the protection of the Iron Dome we helped develop and fund!

"The United States is proud that the Iron Dome system developed in coordination with Israel and funded by the United States has saved countless Israeli lives," White House spokesman Josh Earnest said. "Continued bipartisan support for Iron Dome funding ensures Israel will retain vital defense against rockets and artillery in light of the enduring threats."

The Iron Dome system has brought down most, but not all, of the thousands of rockets fired by Hamas over the past month. Militants fired 119 rockets from Gaza toward Israel on Sunday alone, the Israeli military said.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/obama-signs-law-providing-225-million-for-israels-iron-dome-1407193842

I would only hope that all members of our House, regardless of their political affiliation, treat you with respect and maybe learn something of value to the security of our country.

Well said, Sir. :thumbsup: If Obama can make end runs around the constitution I see no reason why congress shouldn't make end runs around Obama.

What ever point you think you're trying to make , ya didn't.

Seriously, stop trying to be too cute here. What do you actually mean ?

What ever point you think you're trying to make , ya didn't.

Seriously, stop trying to be too cute here. What do you actually mean ?

The Jewish people are God's "Chosen People" HE never changed that. For clarification, I suggest you ask HIM.

Bibi understands the nature of the threat which evidently you don't He lives it 24/7. It's easy for you over here in your safe little world to criticize him. You want him to make concessions but don't demand it of Hamas or Hezbollah. They will make a statement saying they recognize Israels right to exist and then 5 minutes later launch an attack but yet when Israel responds the libs descend upon them. Your support is all words but nothing substantive. They don't need platitudes. They need the United States to actually demonstrate leadership and do something.

Safe little world???

I have been to Israel more times than I have been to some of my bordering states. I had planned on going with a ministry next week but things fell through at my work. Thinking that my views toward bibi reflects how I view Israel is comical. Do you not support America because of how you view our president?

Don't lecture me on giving bibi support when probably more than 50% of Israelis would love a capable competitor this election. The problem is most don't know if buji is that guy. We will find out here shortly who Israel wants.

Archived