More settled science....

japantiger

If a new theory turns out to be true, the universe may not have started with a bang.

In the new formulation, the universe was never a singularity, or an infinitely small and infinitely dense point of matter. In fact, the universe may have no beginning at all.

"Our theory suggests that the age of the universe could be infinite," said study co-author Saurya Das, a theoretical physicist at the University of Lethbridge in Alberta, Canada.

The new concept could also explain what dark matter — the mysterious, invisible substance that makes up most of the matter in the universe — is actually made of, Das added. [The Big Bang to Civilization: 10 Amazing Origin Events]

Big Bang under fire

http://news.yahoo.com/big-bang-deflated-universe-may-had-no-beginning-140017504.html

Hey, this is science working. Unlike supernatural explanations, it actually leaves room for competing theories.

This one might have merit. I wonder how it explains the CMB, the ongoing expansion of the universe and the observable elemental composition of the universe today.

Let's see how it pans out.

If a new theory turns out to be true, the universe may not have started with a bang.

In the new formulation, the universe was never a singularity, or an infinitely small and infinitely dense point of matter. In fact, the universe may have no beginning at all.

"Our theory suggests that the age of the universe could be infinite," said study co-author Saurya Das, a theoretical physicist at the University of Lethbridge in Alberta, Canada.

The new concept could also explain what dark matter — the mysterious, invisible substance that makes up most of the matter in the universe — is actually made of, Das added. [The Big Bang to Civilization: 10 Amazing Origin Events]

Big Bang under fire

http://news.yahoo.co...-140017504.html

CERN and their big toys always coming up with interesting theories...

Hey, this is science working. Unlike supernatural explanations, it actually leaves room for competing theories.

This one might have merit. I wonder how it explains the CMB, the ongoing expansion of the universe and the observable elemental composition of the universe today.

Let's see how it pans out.

I'm perfectly fine with the concept of infinity as a mathematical construct, it's applying it to nature that boggles my imagination.

But then, I don't get advanced physics. Too abstract for me.

I'm perfectly fine with the concept of infinity as a mathematical construct, it's applying it to nature that boggles my imagination.

Richard Feynman has your back:

I think I can safely say that nobody understands quantum mechanics.

I just want to play with some of those collider things they have.

I can't wrap my tiny little mind around dark matter but I know how to smash things.

I can't wrap my tiny little mind around dark matter but I know how to smash things.

Lhc27.jpg I wanna play with this big'un.

6.5TeV of sciency goodness per beam. :cool:

6.5TeV of sciencey goodness per beam. :cool:/>

I know I am just being a big kid and I don't care but I enjoy just looking at the pictures of those things. They remind me of Transformers. I also enjoy reading about their findings even if I can't fully grasp it.

Of course you know enough about my faith that the "Shiva" (destruction... I get it) statue at the front door creeps me out but I am sure they can find me a back door.

"Surely You Are Joking Mr. Feynman"

Nothing like a scientist with a sense of humor and irony! What a treasure he was.

I know I am just being a big kid and I don't care but I enjoy just looking at the pictures of those things. They remind me of Transformers. I also enjoy reading about their findings even if I can't fully grasp it.

Of course you know enough about my faith that the "Shiva" (destruction... I get it) statue at the front door creeps me out but I am sure they can find me a back door.

Wow. I didn't know that. That is kind of creepy. But cool.

6.5TeV of sciencey goodness per beam. :cool:

Y'all are freaked out by eastern deities? :laugh:

Well, this one reminds me of Bammers.

ask-ganesha.jpg

Y'all are freaked out by eastern deities? :laugh:/>

Maybe you are right. Being from the south I should be used to people with extra appendages. I have seen enough of Miley Cyrus' tongue that no hindu statue should ever bother me.

Y'all are freaked out by eastern deities? :laugh:/>

ask-ganesha.jpg

I see they have gotten better looking these days

ask-ganesha.jpg

Poor Ganesha (Shiva's child, BTW) can't help that the bamzos closely resemble olifaunts. ;D

Maybe you are right. Being from the south I should be used to people with extra appendages.

Wha do these all have in common?

Seraphim1.jpg

Tetramorph_meteora.jpg

Lg_Thrones_Angels.jpg

I have seen enough of Miley Cyrus' tongue that no hindu statue should ever bother me.

:lmao:

The universe never was said ( by science ) to have started with a bang.

The 'bang' was the cynical, sarcastic term by anti- inflation scientist who were making fun of the idea .

But hey, it makes a fine name for a T.V. show. :thumbsup:

Maybe you are right. Being from the south I should be used to people with extra appendages.

Wha do these all have in common?

I have seen enough of Miley Cyrus' tongue that no hindu statue should ever bother me.

:lmao:/>

I am going to guess these are all some gnostic Christian drawings. I had to look the eyed covered ring picture up because I was not sure. Ophanim is the name old trusty wiki gives it. I am so glad that I don't make graven or mental images of visions written from the prophets of the bible. It tends to cloud any attempt to interpret the meaning.

I love reading Ezekiel 1 and chapter 10 to people on a really clear starry night. Funny what you can see just laying flat on the earth and opening your eyes.

If you take time to look over a period of time you will see, what some call, Leo, The Eagle, Aquarius, and Taurus like a four spoke wheel just staying in a perfect dance.

It's sad most people don't take the time to learn basic Hebrew instead of betting all their chips on the King James translation of a translation. The Hebrew word "ayin" is an interesting word. A simple translation does mean "eye" but this is a "vision". Not going to bore you nonbelievers but if you replace "eye" with "star" the picture starts to get a little clearer.

The cliff notes of Ezekiel 1...

"Out of its middle came the likeness of four living creatures"

"they didn’t turn when they went, each one went straight forward" (staying on course)

"As for the likeness of their faces, they had the face of a man, and all four had the face of a lion on the right side, and all four had the face of an ox on the left side, all four also had the face of an eagle" (wobble baby wobble baby wobble)

"Each one went straight forward, where the spirit, she was to go, they went, they didn’t turn when they went"

And just call I think it's cool....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FA-JYtxcdhM

You should try using some binoculars when sky gazing. It's amazing what we cannot see with the naked eye.

I'll do you one better. Had a slightly older model of this guy for 5 or 6 years. All you have to do is point it north and finding anything becomes a snap.

ds2114ats_lnt_2.jpg

Been a pretty good 4.5inch reflector. It was great when we lived out in the boonies.

Yeah, but my point is that binoculars are pretty common and most people don't think about using them for star gazing.

You make a great point about light pollution. It's pervasive. You really have to make an effort to find "dark" sky.

One of the best trips my wife and I made was to the McDonald Observatory in the Davis mountains of Texas. We got to stay at the same inn where the professional astronomers stayed and got to look through one of their telescopes.

http://mcdonaldobservatory.org/

Yeah, but my point is that binoculars are pretty common and most people don't think about using them for star gazing.

You make a great point about light pollution. It's pervasive. You really have to make an effort to find "dark" sky.

One of the best trips my wife and I made was to the McDonald Observatory in the Davis mountains of Texas. We got to stay at the same inn where the professional astronomers stayed and got to look through one of their telescopes.

Yeah buddy. Now you are talking my language. I have had a smaller pair of Celestron binoculars for a good while. My wife surprised me with a really good sized (25x100) Celestron just last month, with a tripod thank goodness.

I have never been to a really nice observatory but I will put McDonald on my bucket list. Thanks

I have been a huge star gazing geek for as long as I can remember. My earliest childhood memories was loving to go camping just to catch glimpses of meteors. I even set my alarm a few weeks ago to see Jupiter put on a nice light show.

With all the time that I have spent watching meteor showers and observing the order and movement of stars and planets my most exciting moment came by pure chance. I was coming home from work in August of 2013 on a very clear sky just before sunrise. The moon was about 30 degrees above the horizon and as I turned on a road heading due west and topped the hill and look up just in time to see a fireball streaking over Alabama. (I live in Columbus GA) Wonderful green tail with fragments like a roman candle and was just as bright as the moon. Probably not much less than 1/10 the size of the moon but the excitement and thrill may have me telling big fish stories. It lasted from a few degrees just left the center of my view until it disappeared over the horizon. A few media outlets said that it landed in the woods of North Alabama. I will never forget it!!!

That's probably the only thing I miss about living on a mountain out in the middle of nowhere. It's nice living closer to town, but it's not particularly great for stargazing.

That's probably the only thing I miss about living on a mountain out in the middle of nowhere. It's nice living closer to town, but it's not particularly great for stargazing.

My new binoculars are basically useless anywhere around my home. I do have a nice spot on a friends land that is an hour south from where I live that is nice. It's flatland so it does not compare to being on a mountain but it's the best South GA can give me.

Archived