SEC Tourney Set - AU to play Miss St in 1st Round

RunInRed

• No. 13 Auburn vs. No. 12 Mississippi State.
  • Tip at 6 p.m. CT on SEC Network.
  • The winner plays No. 5 seed Texas A&M on Thursday.

B_jDR8BUwAAUa6q.jpg

Ole Miss v/s UK in the final. Going to be a tough matchup for us but we might can pull off an upset of MSU.

Let's just get it over with. If we lose this one we finish the last 15 games of the season at 2-13. Impossible to see improvement there. Even a win or two doesn't do anything for us in anyone's mind anymore. Hopefully BP is the recruiter we all think he is because it's damn near impossible to sell a rising program going 4-14 in league play. Depth issues or not, we had an extremely pathetic year and Id like to forget that ever happened asap.

Hopefully next year will be better but we look to have similar talent next year, if not less barring a few surprises. There will be greener pastures for BP available and hopefully he refuses them and sticks with AU long enough to turn it around. Another year like this and I won't be expecting him to want to stay. Hope I am wrong.

Let's just get it over with. If we lose this one we finish the last 15 games of the season at 2-13. Impossible to see improvement there. Even a win or two doesn't do anything for us in anyone's mind anymore. Hopefully BP is the recruiter we all think he is because it's damn near impossible to sell a rising program going 4-14 in league play. Depth issues or not, we had an extremely pathetic year and Id like to forget that ever happened asap.

Hopefully next year will be better but we look to have similar talent next year, if not less barring a few surprises. There will be greener pastures for BP available and hopefully he refuses them and sticks with AU long enough to turn it around. Another year like this and I won't be expecting him to want to stay. Hope I am wrong.

Ton of incoherence in there.

Ton of incoherence in there.

Nope. It's called ignorance which is not an excuse.

The games were fun, the environment electric most the time, and if it wasn't, CBP changed that.

Something about hoping recruiting may improve too. Total ignorance.

Negative nancy....but no doubt the season was disappointing. After that Xavier win I thought we could pull together a pretty good season. But it didn't happen. Not sure how much better we'll be next year but if Pearl can bring in his guys and get them to stay. Year 3 we could start making some noise.

I really believe this team would have won at least 4 or 5 more SEC games with Matt Atewe and Tahj Shamsid-Deen healthy all year.

I agree. There were so many games that were very close. Just a little more help might've been the difference.

Agree. Losing both players really hurt our chances this year, bur Mason missing several games.

It has been disappointing the lack of wins . but considering the lack of bodies, it would be great to win at least one game in the tournament. How long has it been since AU won a game in the tournament? At leas five?

You're like a broken record.

Maybe because we have lost 12 out of our last 14 games? Look back when we beat LSU. I was one of the most optimistic on here. Losing 12 of 14 is like watching a broken record hence the response continues. I also continually say I hope BP is here many years. I guess that's a broken record too. I think it's hilarious that anything on this site that is not over the top sunshine is attacked at a level even with a bammer. Ubless it is positive regardless of facts, it is labeled as negative and ignorant. Sometimes it's okay to say we suck. Losing 12 of the last 14 guarantees that we do, so why dress up a turd? Because it's the "Auburn way"? No thanks. When we suck, I'll actually admit we do. It doesn't make me negative, it makes me not blind. Carry on with your "man we looked good in that loss" mentality. I'll keep expecting better.

Clayton, that wasn't really directed at you, just the broken record part ;D

Maybe because we have lost 12 out of our last 14 games? Look back when we beat LSU. I was one of the most optimistic on here. Losing 12 of 14 is like watching a broken record hence the response continues. I also continually say I hope BP is here many years. I guess that's a broken record too. I think it's hilarious that anything on this site that is not over the top sunshine is attacked at a level even with a bammer. Ubless it is positive regardless of facts, it is labeled as negative and ignorant. Sometimes it's okay to say we suck. Losing 12 of the last 14 guarantees that we do, so why dress up a turd? Because it's the "Auburn way"? No thanks. When we suck, I'll actually admit we do. It doesn't make me negative, it makes me not blind. Carry on with your "man we looked good in that loss" mentality. I'll keep expecting better.

Clayton, that wasn't really directed at you, just the broken record part ;D/>

I'll give you my take. Take it for whatever you want. Auburn hires Bruce Pearl. The atmosphere immediately changes from the Barbee era. I hear people talking about Auburn basketball, people actually CARING about Auburn basketball. That's a positive. Bruce Pearl is one of the better coaches in college ball, he recruits, he knows how to change a program around, and he's a likable guy who gets everyone pumped. I am in no way a sunshine pumper, our record shows anyone who doesn't follow AU basketball that we were pretty bad this year. But our record doesn't reflect the heart that these men had this year. Barbee couldn't get that in the four years he was here. Bruce did it in under a year. He literally changed a basketball program that no one cared about and morphed it into a program that has people talking. Just imagine for a second what BP can do in two years. Imagine what the returning guys can do in year two of his system. I'm optimistic. You should be too. Sorry for the long response. I've got a research paper due tomorrow and I'm too busy writing a paragraph on AU basketball. Good thing I'm majoring in sports journalism! ;)

Coach Pearl changed the culture for the better. I remember no more than 3-5 people ever even posted in Basketball threads some years. He changed hearts and minds. The winning will come, but you have to crawl before walking.

War Eagle!!

Folks keep talking about being optimistic ...and the future. Well, good for them. JMO but an optimist is a person who buys a Power Ball lottery ticket every week because he or she won a few hundred bucks several years ago. The odds of winning are several million to one....which means this is a decision that has nothing to do with logic.

Not saying our odds of a great season are one hundred million to one. And I'm happy that people are optimistic about the future of our basketball program....just as long as those folks don't think they are somehow being logical with their viewpoint...or that those who are wondering abut where the program is going are somehow not being logical. There is not much logic in sports....it's just a matter of getting it done.

No doubt BP is a heckuva salesman and has done a great job of whipping up crowd enthusiasm...but forget that....let's look at the talent we will be losing (which was pretty good) ....and talk about who will be playing next season that will make the team better than it was this season.

Folks keep talking about being optimistic ...and the future. Well, good for them. JMO but an optimist is a person who buys a Power Ball lottery ticket every week because he or she won a few hundred bucks several years ago. The odds of winning are several million to one....which means this is a decision that has nothing to do with logic.

Not saying our odds of a great season are one hundred million to one. And I'm happy that people are optimistic about the future of our basketball program....just as long as those folks don't think they are somehow being logical with their viewpoint...or that those who are wondering abut where the program is going are somehow not being logical. There is not much logic in sports....it's just a matter of getting it done.

No doubt BP is a heckuva salesman and has done a great job of whipping up crowd enthusiasm...but forget that....let's look at the talent we will be losing (which was pretty good) ....and talk about who will be playing next season that will make the team better than it was this season.

So optimism isn't logical?

Those that thought CBP could come in and blow the doors off in year one had their judgement clouded by CGM success in 2013. There is a seroius lack of talent and depth on this BB team. Guys that CTB recruited dropped like flies the entire time he was here. His best player was a leftover from the Lebo years.

Before the season, I had hoped for 1) being .500 in SEC play and 2) make it to the past round 1 of the SEC tourney (maybe even make it to round 3?). We still have a chance at #2. We won a couple of SEC games that we shouldn't have but lost more that we should have won. Injuries, Mason being out with his father, attrition, etc. could have made the difference but adversity hits every team...gotta play through it.

I'd love to see a run in the SEC tourney but, you're right, it won't matter for 2015 unless we win the whole thing. A nice run would help recruiting and the team psyche going into next year.

Logic BP brought in two really good players Mason and Bowers. Logic team played hard every game and were competitive. Logic we lost a big man Atwe before season began, we lost a PG early on, we lost Mason due to his fathers death. Logic we have a really good class coming in better then Auburn has recruited in years but will lose our two guards. Next years team will be bigger and have more depth but loosing Mason and Harrell may not be a lot better.

Logic if BP can pull one more class like one coming In next year we will finally have a good Auburn basketball team.

You can't build a program in one year

There are a few negative nancys in this forum. I am not trying to dress up a turd. We sucked this year record wise. However we made MAJOR strides off the court in fan enthusiasm alone. We are selling out games with a 12-19 team. That alone should be an optimistic sign.

People above mentioned the many hardships this team faced from the injuries to Mason's father to the lack of depth that Barbee left behind. These are all pretty good reasons to fold up the tent and mail it in. However this team never really gave up. Hell this past week we were 0-2 by a combined 5 points. Not that bad.

Give CBP at least three years to build a program before the pitchforks come out. I mean come on we gave the Lebo/Barbee clown show 10 years and neither one of them had near the resume that Bruce had coming into this job. Patience. Winning will ensue. And we can win next year too... I am excited about the players we have coming back and the new recruits.

I understand the premise behind au64's concerns. I disagree with it but I don't think he is being negative. He just doesn't see us much better next year. He thought we should have a better record with ... Top returning scorer in country, top scorer in sec, top juco player, d1 transfer guard, 3 returners with lots of sec minutes, etc...

I think there are rebuttals to the concerns but I wouldn't blast folks for having wanted more this year from these players.

There are a few negative nancys in this forum. I am not trying to dress up a turd. We sucked this year record wise. However we made MAJOR strides off the court in fan enthusiasm alone. We are selling out games with a 12-19 team. That alone should be an optimistic sign.

People above mentioned the many hardships this team faced from the injuries to Mason's father to the lack of depth that Barbee left behind. These are all pretty good reasons to fold up the tent and mail it in. However this team never really gave up. Hell this past week we were 0-2 by a combined 5 points. Not that bad.

Give CBP at least three years to build a program before the pitchforks come out. I mean come on we gave the Lebo/Barbee clown show 10 years and neither one of them had near the resume that Bruce had coming into this job. Patience. Winning will ensue. And we can win next year too... I am excited about the players we have coming back and the new recruits.

While you make some valid points, 0-2 by 5 points is directly misleading. We lost to the worst team in the SEC and another team we had already beat at their house. Take a larger picture...we lost the last 9 games by an average of 14.3 points and the last 14 games by an average of 10. 0-2 against the worst team in the SEC and a team we already beat does not define "not bad". It's actually pretty darn terrible. I'm not a negative nancy either. I give credit where credit is due. BP will likely be the best coach we've ever had at AU. Even so, I'm not into kissing butt for a 4-14 season. To be the best coach we have ever had, not only the talent has to improve. I give a pass this year as he was out of coaching for a while, but we need to see at least some improvement next year on the court or his recruiting prowess may not be enough to land top talent. basketball is the easiest sport to turn around time-wise so I expect better results next year as should everyone. Nobody has pitchforks out and Bruce will be given atleast 6 years to get this thing rolling should he want to stay. The question people should be asking is if he will want to stay after another terrible year or two...

The question people should be asking is if he will want to stay after another terrible year or two...

This is a much more viable question to ask than anything I have seen so far. Losing can wear on a coach's psyche, even with one with the charisma and energy that Bruce possesses. Should that happen, I wouldn't be surprised or fault Bruce if he wanted to go elsewhere.

However, it is a still loaded with negativity. It is assuming that we will suffer another 12-20 (4-14) type season next year +/- the year after that which I do not (and a lot of the others on here) believe will transpire. This team had a few too many hurdles to climb to ever be truly a threat to be a tourney team. At best with the roster coming into this season we were an NIT hopeful. Then top on the injuries and personal leave and the best this team realistically could have performed was .500 level. That leaves our coaching staff to fault for the 4 or 5 games that we lost that we should have won on paper. Hopefully with a full year back in coaching and also working with this staff, the 2015-16 season will be better for the players and Bruce Pearl. I do not expect another season this abysmal record-wise. I would be shocked if we finish below .500 next year actually. Maybe not much better than .500, but I do believe we will gradually improve based off the foundation CBP has set and his track record for building programs in the past.

Wow. Why would anyone think AU would be a contender in 2015 just makes no sense to me. The program was in complete shambles. How could anyone meet that unrealistic goal?

CBP managed to put some pieces back together in his first season. In most games AU was at least competitive. The team played hard and we could be proud of their effort.

Give the guy some time. He deserves that much.

Think about how bad this team would have been if CBP didn't bring in Bowers. He was the only player on the team that could rebound, we might have been skunked in SEC play. This was a very difficult season as it looked like we had a shot at an NIT appearance type year until these last 10 games or so. Though on fans, players and coaches.

I do think this MSU game could be a bit of momentum going into the offseason if we can get a win. A stepping stone of something AU hasn't been able to accomplish in a long time. So I've got my school colors on today ready to route for our boys tonight.

As for next year, with an offseason to improve, Reed should be a decent player at center and with Atewe back he can provide depth there (or vise versa). That allows Cim to move to 4 where he belongs. Granger, Purifoy, and Lang will provide some nice wing players, and TSD and Canty man the back court. Depthh provided by signees and we have an UPGRADE in talent over this season even with the loss of Harrel and Mason.

Expectations for next season should be an overall .500 season with an NIT berth. Anything better would be a nice surprise.

Archived