A Letter From Black America

DKW 86

This thread is filled with tons of meaningless diatribes and zero solutions. The American way: scream and whine about issues and then look dumbfounded when asked what the solution should be. People in this country don't want solutions to problems, they want a cause to support to post a self-serving selfie on Facebook and Twitter about. People just need to shut up and fix themselves before you start trying to fix others.

what is your solution?

What is yours?

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Step 1.....get more black fathers staying around to help raise their kids rather than just Mom and grandma having to do it alone while they struggle to make ends meet.

Simpletons still arguing the micro issue I see.

The micro matters. How you live your days is how you live your life. I choose to live my life within the "rules" of society. Every day.

My personal safety has absolutely never been threatened by the police or anyone else. Not even close.

The micro matters. How you live your days is how you live your life. I choose to live my life within the "rules" of society. Every day.

My personal safety has absolutely never been threatened by the police or anyone else. Not even close.

Please take a number. I have enough old white guys lined up, waiting to insult me, my service and other things. I'll be with you as soon as I can. In the meantime, go to my old posts and read my thoughts on this subject.

And that was precisely what the author was trying to convey, that the Black Experience America is completely different from the White Experience America.

I'll give a good example: IMHO the crap they smeared Cam with would not have been 10% of what it was at the time if he had been White.

I fully contend that, specifically within the state of Alabama, his most egregious crime was being a YBM.

Please take a number. I have enough old white guys lined up, waiting to insult me, my service and other things. I'll be with you as soon as I can. In the meantime, go to my old posts and read my thoughts on this subject.

Read it again. Never an insult, service or otherwise.

Read it again. Never an insult, service or otherwise.

Being gun shy, I figured that's where you were heading. My apologies.

This thread is filled with tons of meaningless diatribes and zero solutions. The American way: scream and whine about issues and then look dumbfounded when asked what the solution should be. People in this country don't want solutions to problems, they want a cause to support to post a self-serving selfie on Facebook and Twitter about. People just need to shut up and fix themselves before you start trying to fix others.

what is your solution?

What is yours?

stop promoting the idea that this problem is bigger than it is.

what is your solution?

What is yours?

I would offer that the size of the problem is in the eye of the beholder. If I see something that is a huge problem, in need of fixing, I do something about it.

Mine has...I live within the "rules" of society as well

what is your solution?

What is yours?

I would offer that the size of the problem is in the eye of the beholder. If I see something that is a huge problem, in need of fixing, I do something about it.

I agree

The longer I live, the more I hate being a non-racist white....because I'll never get that benefit of the doubt. That is what pisses me off about this subject as much as anything. No, I don't know what it's like to be anything but white. That's not my fault. I didn't get a choice on that one (none of us do). I hate to see this stuff continue and the story above is an example of where I can't relate. But I'm not going to stand by and accept someone else's automated characterization of myself or others like me.

It's just something I can't take lightly.

You sure are getting upset about this.

Why are you taking it so personally? :dunno:/>

Because I've been directly involved with reverse racism and I don't appreciate the lack of an open mind about the topic. Being Southern born and white can come with a price in some circles.

Well, I am sorry that whatever you experienced scarred you so much. I am a Southern-borne white as well, but I certainly don't feel I have paid a "price" for it.

Anyway, do you think the writer of the essay in the OP lacked an "open mind" about the topic?

I think a lot of people lack an open mind about racism and race related issues. People take sides a lot of times regardless of the truth in many instances and race is no exception. Racism knows no boundary.....just pathetic opportunity.

What about the author of this essay? Do you think the writer of the essay in the OP lacked an "open mind" about the topic?

what is your solution?

What is yours?

What about trying to understand the perspective ordinary black people have on police bias?

Wouldn't that be a good start? Doesn't this open letter provide us a glimpse of that perspective?

what is your solution?

What is yours?

What about trying to understand the perspective ordinary black people have on police bias?

Wouldn't that be a good start? Doesn't this open letter provide us a glimpse of that perspective?

you must define "ordinary black people ". I know many who feel the exact same as i do.

what is your solution?

What is yours?

Well said.

If you're not the people subjected to discrimination or persecution how can you determine how big the problem is? Because your friends didn't tell you about it?

It is a problem, just not on the scale that it is portrayed to be. The media splatters it across newscasts so much, that you would think that it was the 1960's. Look at how many great things that the police do on a daily basis. You hardly hear about that. What people see on tv is what the majority tends to believe. With that mindset, yes, it looks like our country's entire police force is led by Bull Connor.

I disagree, I see stories of policemen doing great things all the time. But I do see what you're saying I feel the media does the same to young black males as well. Also on the opposite side of the argument constantly saying it's not a big problem makes it seem when people are treated unfairly that it's not a big deal IMO

I disagree, I see stories of policemen doing great things all the time. But I do see what you're saying I feel the media does the same to young black males as well. Also on the opposite side of the argument constantly saying it's not a big problem makes it seem when people are treated unfairly that it's not a big deal IMO

Well stated.

If you're not the people subjected to discrimination or persecution how can you determine how big the problem is? Because your friends didn't tell you about it?

I think we can all agree that it is very difficult for any of us to understand what it is like to walk in another persons shoes...especially when race is involved. You know what you know, I know what I know, and so on....

Only thing we can do is listen to each other and have empathy for each other. Minus agendas, political connections, resentment, etc. That goes for BOTH sides, maybe we could all learn something.

Only thing we can do is listen to each other and have empathy for each other. Minus agendas, political connections, resentment, etc. That goes for BOTH sides, maybe we could all learn something.

Amen!

what is your solution?

What is yours?

you must define "ordinary black people ". I know many who feel the exact same as i do.

Black people who are Al Sharpton, for example.

It is a problem, just not on the scale that it is portrayed to be. The media splatters it across newscasts so much, that you would think that it was the 1960's. Look at how many great things that the police do on a daily basis. You hardly hear about that. What people see on tv is what the majority tends to believe. With that mindset, yes, it looks like our country's entire police force is led by Bull Connor.

There's more of that defensive behavior. Do you feel you are paying a price for being white?

That is a good point and I will keep that in mind next time. And you are right, when the media shows nothing but rioting and keeps showing young black men in violent situations, it puts out the wrong impression. For every troublemaker, no matter the skin color, there are a hundred that are not troublemakers. It's all about perception with the media.

Archived