Paul: Current criminal laws create situation 'somewhat like segregation'

AUUSN

Now this is a Republican! Sen. Rand Paul (R-Ky.) argued for criminal justice reform at a historically black college in Maryland on Friday, in what has become a staple of his message to young voters and minorities ahead of a potential presidential run in 2016.

Paul, who has frequently nodded to Martin Luther King, Jr.’s idea that there are “two Americas,” said in his speech at Bowie State University there’s one America where citizens are free to pursue their lives freely, and one where the federal government piles on with unnecessary laws, burdensome fines and regulations, and overly strict sentencing guidelines that contribute to keeping minority groups mired in poverty.

"Those of us who have jobs and have lived fairly privileged lives don’t know what it’s like to pay fines and penalties on top of other fines and how someone’s life can spiral out of control because of this,” Paul said. http://thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box/presidential-races/235662-paul-current-criminal-laws-create-situation-somewhat-like

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Any Paul voters here? -nice try-

Now this is a Republican! Sen. Rand Paul (R-Ky.) argued for criminal justice reform at a historically black college in Maryland on Friday, in what has become a staple of his message to young voters and minorities ahead of a potential presidential run in 2016.

Paul, who has frequently nodded to Martin Luther King, Jr.’s idea that there are “two Americas,” said in his speech at Bowie State University there’s one America where citizens are free to pursue their lives freely, and one where the federal government piles on with unnecessary laws, burdensome fines and regulations, and overly strict sentencing guidelines that contribute to keeping minority groups mired in poverty.

"Those of us who have jobs and have lived fairly privileged lives don’t know what it’s like to pay fines and penalties on top of other fines and how someone’s life can spiral out of control because of this,” Paul said. http://thehill.com/b...n-somewhat-like

Might as well include it all:

The Kentucky Republican argued that civil forfeiture and mandatory minimum sentencing laws must be reformed, and highlighted bipartisan bills he’s worked on to expunge the records of former criminals that would make it easier for them to find work.

Paul said the laws currently on the books have created a situation that is “somewhat like segregation.”

“There’s a racial outcome to this,” Paul said. “I don’t think it’s intentional, but it’s real, and we should do something about it.”

Paul pointed to two recent racially charged incidents that have provoked protests across the country as evidence of there’s "an undercurrent of unease.”

Ferguson, Mo., has been on edge since a white police officer fatally shot an unarmed black teenager after an encounter on the street last year. The incident led to a Justice Department investigation that found widespread abuses within the criminal justice system there and ultimately led to the resignation of the police chief.

And in New York City, protests erupted after a grand jury declined to indict a police officer responsible for the choke-hold death of Eric Garner, who was suspected of selling loose cigarettes on the sidewalk.

Paul blamed politicians for creating laws that lead to police harassment, and unnecessary fines and arrests.

“What reason do we have for politicians telling the police they have to take someone down for selling a cigarette that’s not taxed,” he said. “There are other ways … I blame the politicians, they write these rules.”

Paul has been outspoken about the racial unease that he sees permeating the country, and he’s long been an advocate for scaling back drug laws and reforming the criminal justice system. The Kentucky Republican is a sponsor on a new bill that would legalize medical marijuana on the federal level for states that have legalized it.

Paul has also talked at length about expanding the GOP’s appeal to the next generation, and many believe his libertarian-leaning views on issues like drug policy and criminal sentencing reform could appeal to a younger set of voters.

--------------------------------------

I think he is right on, and I am impressed.

Any Paul voters here? -nice try-

I might be. I like the guy.

I reject the view that, a law which impacts one group " inproportionally " is inherently racist. The idea that it's only 'fair' that all are impacted by a law equally is flawed . If some engage in a activity more than others, it stands to reason they'll be caught more than others. Some dislike the realities of the world. I say.. " tough " .

Yep. Gotta give him credit. He nailed it here.

That's the old disparate impact line of thinking. We hear it constantly from people like Al Sharpton, Eric Holder and their ilk. I like Rand Paul but on this he's wrong.

That's the old disparate impact line of thinking. We hear it constantly from people like Al Sharpton, Eric Holder and their ilk. I like Rand Paul but on this he's wrong.

He may be wrong, but in the game of politics, it may be a wise position to take. Like Obama and gay marriage. Or Gov Walker and corn subsidies. Iowa is stop one in 2016, and however wrong it is , the voters there simply will never take the proper path to stop getting massive govt $$$ for corn. Too much depends on it for their way of life, so he decides to let it ride, in hopes of bigger gains down the road.

I reject the view that, a law which impacts one group " inproportionally " is inherently racist. The idea that it's only 'fair' that all are impacted by a law equally is flawed . If some engage in a activity more than others, it stands to reason they'll be caught more than others. Some dislike the realities of the world. I say.. " tough " .

"Fair" is one of my least favorite words. Our children were not allowed to utter it.......unless they were speaking of hog calling contest or cotton candy affairs. :-)

Paul is NOT a Republican, He is a Libertarian and the GOP is his only his realistic way to run for Pres. He won't be the nominee IMHO.

"Fair" is one of my least favorite words. Our children were not allowed to utter it.......unless they were speaking of hog calling contest or cotton candy affairs. :-)

That's why I put ' ' around it. It doesn't mean what it use to mean.

The Left think that equality is more important than freedom. Even if the former trumps the latter.

The Left think that equality is more important than freedom. Even if the former trumps the latter.

My example "the wages of Sin is Death". That is fair. I am thankful God is not a fan of fair either :-)

My example "the wages of Sin is Death". That is fair. I am thankful God is not a fan of fair either :-)

I am thankful for the fact that my God is kind, compassionate, loving, and ultimately fair in His grace.

I am thankful for the fact that my God is kind, compassionate, loving, and ultimately fair in His grace.

We do not disagree. As Christians we are to be far more than fair to all as God is FAR more than fair to us!! Fair is not even a minimum.

It is amazing to see two people who are bragging about not believing in fairness, a fundamental component of basic right and wrong.

Sorry you mis-understood. Or that I mis-stated. Fair is a low standard. We can all do better. At least we Should purpose to do so. And,yes, I do look in that "mirror" as a constant reminder...

It's hard to see inequality from the gated subdivision...

you have a huge case of white guilt by proxy....sad...But I am happy for you. Not many can afford that hated ,I mean gated, subdivision abode of yours...

you have a huge case of white guilt by proxy....sad...

Nope. I have witnessed suffering in this world beyond what you gated subdivision dwellers could ever imagine. Paul has a point. You have an agenda...

you have a huge case of white guilt by proxy....sad...But I am happy for you. Not many can afford that hated ,I mean gated, subdivision abode of yours...

It's nothing but a lonely troll.

It's nothing but a lonely troll.

Oh boy, here they come.

you have a huge case of white guilt by proxy....sad...

Nope. I have witnessed suffering in this world beyond what you gated subdivision dwellers could ever imagine. Paul has a point. You have an agenda...

You have a lot of hate issues and I feel sorry for you. What a sad way to live one's life. Have a good evening though.......

"Those of us who have jobs and have lived fairly privileged lives don’t know what it’s like to pay fines and penalties on top of other fines and how someone’s life can spiral out of control because of this,” Paul said. http://thehill.com/b...n-somewhat-like

Might as well include it all:

The Kentucky Republican argued that civil forfeiture and mandatory minimum sentencing laws must be reformed, and highlighted bipartisan bills he’s worked on to expunge the records of former criminals that would make it easier for them to find work.

Paul said the laws currently on the books have created a situation that is “somewhat like segregation.”

“There’s a racial outcome to this,” Paul said. “I don’t think it’s intentional, but it’s real, and we should do something about it.”

Paul pointed to two recent racially charged incidents that have provoked protests across the country as evidence of there’s "an undercurrent of unease.”

Ferguson, Mo., has been on edge since a white police officer fatally shot an unarmed black teenager after an encounter on the street last year. The incident led to a Justice Department investigation that found widespread abuses within the criminal justice system there and ultimately led to the resignation of the police chief.

And in New York City, protests erupted after a grand jury declined to indict a police officer responsible for the choke-hold death of Eric Garner, who was suspected of selling loose cigarettes on the sidewalk.

Paul blamed politicians for creating laws that lead to police harassment, and unnecessary fines and arrests.

“What reason do we have for politicians telling the police they have to take someone down for selling a cigarette that’s not taxed,” he said. “There are other ways … I blame the politicians, they write these rules.”

Paul has been outspoken about the racial unease that he sees permeating the country, and he’s long been an advocate for scaling back drug laws and reforming the criminal justice system. The Kentucky Republican is a sponsor on a new bill that would legalize medical marijuana on the federal level for states that have legalized it.

Paul has also talked at length about expanding the GOP’s appeal to the next generation, and many believe his libertarian-leaning views on issues like drug policy and criminal sentencing reform could appeal to a younger set of voters.

--------------------------------------

Wasnt it you that laughed at me supporting Paul, a few months ago?

I bet there are more Gated Communities on the coasts than in the Heartland.

Just an aside here, but i have always felt that gated communities are at some level racist. I have to wonder just who you are trying to keep "out."

The answer is usually YBMs.

Archived