Paul: Current criminal laws create situation 'somewhat like segregation'

AUUSN

It's hard to see inequality from the gated subdivision...

I bet there are more Gated Communities on the coasts than in the Heartland.

Just an aside here, but i have always felt that gated communities are at some level racist. I have to wonder just who you are trying to keep "out."

The answer is usually YBMs.

I can assure you I do not live in a gated community. But, maybe they are just trying to be proactive and protect there family and home from theft or other crimes...just maybe. A gate is the same as locked doors-windows and bars on windows...just MORE security than I can afford :-)

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just an aside here, but i have always felt that gated communities are at some level racist. I have to wonder just who you are trying to keep "out."

I can assure you I do not live in a gated community. But, maybe they are just trying to be proactive and protect there family and home from theft or other crimes...just maybe. A gate is the same as locked doors-windows and bars on windows...just MORE security than I can afford :-)

Tim, i never thought you did live in a gated community. I just see them being far more numerous on the the Left and Right Coasts, you know, where the Liberals are prone to live... ;-)

Rand Paul has always been for revamping the sentencing guidelines. I like him personally.

Tim, i never thought you did live in a gated community. I just see them being far more numerous on the the Left and Right Coasts, you know, where the Liberals are prone to live... ;-)

Got it. Just in a sarcastic mood. :-)

Paul isn't pandering, he's doing his level best to help the stale, moss-covered wing of the GOP find a way to appeal to someone other than geriatric whites who long for a return to a mythical fantasyland that only exists in their own minds. Any Republicans who wish to remain relevant anywhere outside the new Solid South would do well to listen. Its the same things h'e preached since he got elected. The spirit of liberty is alive and well, and will continue to flourish with or without faux patriots who claim to love it.

Paul isn't pandering, he's doing his level best to help the stale, moss-covered wing of the GOP find a way to appeal to someone other than geriatric whites who long for a return to a mythical fantasyland that only exists in their own minds. Any Republicans who wish to remain relevant anywhere outside the new Solid South would do well to listen. Its the same things h'e preached since he got elected. The spirit of liberty is alive and well, and will continue to flourish with or without faux patriots who claim to love it.

I am not a republican. I am Conservative. It does my heart good to hear someone speak well of a candidate in a clear-supportive way. Maybe I need to pay more attention to Senator Paul. Thanks!!

Those sentencing guidelines were put in place because of judges handing out a slap on the wrist to criminals who weren't first time offenders. Also they were being let out of prison after only serving a small portion of their sentence only to go back out and commit more crimes. Now it may have been an overreaction and some people may have gotten sentenced as a habitual offender for some small petty crime. It wasn't racist though. You can't say that because more blacks are in prison that the criminal justice system is racist. The blacks., younger men to be specific, are the ones committing these crimes more than any other segment of the population. I'm not opposed to taking a look at things and seeing what needs to be fixed and what we can to to prevent these young men from becoming a criminal in the first place. but we can't go back to what it was on defining crimes before these were put in place. I like Rand for the most part. He's certainly better than what the republicans have put in place recently. Actually it's the establishment wing of the party that has been pandering by supporting illegal immigration and amnesty.That's the John McCains and Mitt Romneys of the world, the ones they have been putting forth in recent elections. I'm certainly willing to consider Paul for the nomination for president. I'm like Tim. I'm conservative and right now that makes me as much or more of a target than the democrats.

It is amazing to see two people who are bragging about not believing in fairness, a fundamental component of basic right and wrong.

Yeah, it's pretty sad when the concept of fair is considered to be politically correct.

(But I am still shuddering over the prospect of WarTimmy raising children.)

Now this is a Republican! Sen. Rand Paul (R-Ky.) argued for criminal justice reform at a historically black college in Maryland on Friday, in what has become a staple of his message to young voters and minorities ahead of a potential presidential run in 2016.

Paul, who has frequently nodded to Martin Luther King, Jr.’s idea that there are “two Americas,” said in his speech at Bowie State University there’s one America where citizens are free to pursue their lives freely, and one where the federal government piles on with unnecessary laws, burdensome fines and regulations, and overly strict sentencing guidelines that contribute to keeping minority groups mired in poverty.

"Those of us who have jobs and have lived fairly privileged lives don’t know what it’s like to pay fines and penalties on top of other fines and how someone’s life can spiral out of control because of this,” Paul said. http://thehill.com/b...n-somewhat-like

Might as well include it all:

The Kentucky Republican argued that civil forfeiture and mandatory minimum sentencing laws must be reformed, and highlighted bipartisan bills he’s worked on to expunge the records of former criminals that would make it easier for them to find work.

Paul said the laws currently on the books have created a situation that is “somewhat like segregation.”

“There’s a racial outcome to this,” Paul said. “I don’t think it’s intentional, but it’s real, and we should do something about it.”

Paul pointed to two recent racially charged incidents that have provoked protests across the country as evidence of there’s "an undercurrent of unease.”

Ferguson, Mo., has been on edge since a white police officer fatally shot an unarmed black teenager after an encounter on the street last year. The incident led to a Justice Department investigation that found widespread abuses within the criminal justice system there and ultimately led to the resignation of the police chief.

And in New York City, protests erupted after a grand jury declined to indict a police officer responsible for the choke-hold death of Eric Garner, who was suspected of selling loose cigarettes on the sidewalk.

Paul blamed politicians for creating laws that lead to police harassment, and unnecessary fines and arrests.

“What reason do we have for politicians telling the police they have to take someone down for selling a cigarette that’s not taxed,” he said. “There are other ways … I blame the politicians, they write these rules.”

Paul has been outspoken about the racial unease that he sees permeating the country, and he’s long been an advocate for scaling back drug laws and reforming the criminal justice system. The Kentucky Republican is a sponsor on a new bill that would legalize medical marijuana on the federal level for states that have legalized it.

Paul has also talked at length about expanding the GOP’s appeal to the next generation, and many believe his libertarian-leaning views on issues like drug policy and criminal sentencing reform could appeal to a younger set of voters.

--------------------------------------

I think he is right on, and I am impressed.

Wasnt it you that laughed at me supporting Paul, a few months ago?

Not that I recall, I suppose it's possible though. But not likely.

I admit there are a few people on this forum I don't respect as persons, you're not one of them.

In general, I try to focus on the post not the person.

I feel the same about Paul.

DKW is an Old man with a bad case of CRS...

:dunno:

Fixed it.

Sorry, I still don't get it. CRS? It's gotta be "something" syndrome?

CANT

REMEMBER

STUFF...lol

It is amazing to see two people who are bragging about not believing in fairness, a fundamental component of basic right and wrong.

Yeah, it's pretty sad when the concept of fair is considered to be politically correct.

(But I am still shuddering over the prospect of WarTimmy raising children.)

You crossed a line there. YOU are not allowed to speak of my children in any way shape form or fashion. Ever. Do not do it again. Feel free to slam me as you do everyday anyway. I could care less. But , you may never mention my children. You will not be told again. Carry on with your usual garbage. Nobody cares anyway.

The over riding problem you have is you do not understand the fact that "fair" is only a concept. Its just an idea and people have different ideas about what it is, meaning, that it has no objective reality. A good example is the people of Ferguson, Mo. don't thnk its fair that Ofc Wilson wasn't convicted of murder..

Fairness is not a component of right and wrong. Those are issues of morality and ethics.

The over riding problem you have is you do not understand the fact that "fair" is only a concept. Its just an idea and people have different ideas about what it is, meaning, that it has no objective reality. A good example is the people of Ferguson, Mo. don't thnk its fair that Ofc Wilson wasn't convicted of murder..

Fairness is not a component of right and wrong. Those are issues of morality and ethics.

Well stated Blue. Thanks and have a great evening!!!

Sure Blue. Whatever you say. Treating people unfairly has nothing to do with one's morality or ethics. :-\

Sure Blue. Whatever you say. Treating people unfairly has nothing to do with one's morality or ethics. :-\

Who is the final arbiter of what is fair treatment? You? And, yes, treating people the way you want to be treated has everything to do with ethics and morality

Fairness is in the eye of the beholder.

ding ding ding. itchy posts about fairness like its existence is objective and the same for everybody. Does he really believe any of the s*** he posts?

Fair does not mean equitable. Life is not fair. NEVER will be. Life is what you make of it.......

Fairness is in the eye of the beholder.

When you get to the pearly gates, try that one on God.

Really? That's your come come back? What we're talking about is the concept fair does not exist in an absolute sense and you seem to totally miss that point. Its relative just like everything else in life and, as a result, what's fair is a relative measure based on individual perspective. Now. I realize you lefties think you know whats fair for EVERYBODY because you know whats best for everyone anyway and, furthermore, insist on being the final arbiters of what's fair. In that context, fairness becomes a political issue.

Archived