Orlando City Lions MLS first game

augolf1716

I know I late posting this but 62,000 for the first game 1-1 draw with Kaka scoring OCL first ever MLS goal. OCL won last night against Houston 1-0. Good start......

ORLANDO, Fla. —

Orlando City Soccer hosted fellow MLS newcomer NYCFC Sunday afternoon in one of the final games in the opening weekend of the league's 20th anniversary season.

Orlando City’s first game as a Major League Soccer team ended in a 1-1 draw Sunday with Kaka scoring for the Lions in the 90th minute.

The Brazilian superstar bounced a free kick off a defender and into the back of the net. It was Orlando City's first goal in Major League Soccer.

New York City Football Club was the first to score. Mix Diskerud, who also plays midfield for Team USA, curved the ball into the side of the net, just past the outstretched arms of Orlando City goalkeeper Donovan Ricketts.

The total attendance was 62,510, making it the ninth-largest crowd ever for an MLS game and the second-largest crowd ever for an inaugural MLS game, officials said.

Lions' officials announced earlier this week it had sold out of 62,000 tickets at Citrus Bowl Stadium for the debut of the league's 19th and 20th franchises.

I was at the Orlando City's first game. Great to see the large turnout in Orlando. The fans were really into the match even though there were a lot of casual fans there like myself. It was kind of like a big time college football game in terms of excitement. Biggest difference was that many fans did not understand all of the rules such as off sides and I could drink beer both outside and INSIDE the stadium :)

Archived