Grant fired at Bama

AURandy56

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Crean is a prospect because his school is trying to get rid of him anyway....but the rest....Marshall, Shaka and a couple of the other top rated coaches are top dog coaches at their schools...will never get fired and their recruits are the best known athletes on their campus. Basketball likely to always be a step-child program at Bama.

Since they'll have to drop mega-boo-coo dollars upgrading facilities and spend another fortune paying the most money ever for a top-notch head basketball coach....jus maybe perhaps.... the UA system board of trustees might ought to consider canceling their U@T program and let their successful basketball program take over the reigns for UA Basketball ?

They've already have developed the process and have a set precedent for such a deal.

Would Marshall be willing to go to Bama knowing that he will not be the top dog there like he is at Wichita State?

Maybe for enough money he could put up with being a guy that nobody recognizes when he walks across the campus. He's been at two "basketball" schools...would be a big change of pace coaching a sport at a school where his team ranks behind gymnastics, softball and football for national attention.

Would Marshall be willing to go to Bama knowing that he will not be the top dog there like he is at Wichita State?

Maybe for enough money he could put up with being a guy that nobody recognizes when he walks across the campus. He's been at two "basketball" schools...would be a big change of pace coaching a sport at a school where his team ranks behind gymnastics, softball and football for national attention.

At Alabama he'd be in the same spot as BP is at Auburn. Football will always be #1 but if they can develop a consistent program the support will be there. It will easily rise to #2 in the pecking order. They will turn out for a good team. Wimp was very popular while he was there.

At Alabama he'd be in the same spot as BP is at Auburn. Football will always be #1 but if they can develop a consistent program the support will be there. It will easily rise to #2 in the pecking order. They will turn out for a good team. Wimp was very popular while he was there.

I agree - Football is King at AU & UA. But both fanbases will fully support a winning product and will do it eagerly.

I agree - Football is King at AU & UA. But both fanbases will fully support a winning product and will do it eagerly.

^^This^^

I agree...it's possible get to #2...but if you've been #1 for most of your career....why go to a school where if you work your butt off and manage to bring in some talent you might get to #2. BP did well at UT because he is a super salesman...and their football program was in the toilet. #2 at Bama is going to be a long way behind #1..JMO....though UTk and UTx are both going to be looking for a coach come Monday and can match bama money and the football program / coach is not a legend to contend with. A bad time to be looking for a new coach ??

Comment on sports talk yesterday....IF bama gets a coach with Big5 experience it will be someone currently (or soon to be) out of a job. As someone noted on here a while back....all the stars were aligned correctly for AU to entice Bruce here.....if we were looking for a coach now, I doubt we would be able to even get an interview with a guy like him....JMO.

I agree...it's possible get to #2...but if you've been #1 for most of your career....why go to a school where if you work your butt off and manage to bring in some talent you might get to #2. BP did well at UT because he is a super salesman...and their football program was in the toilet. #2 at Bama is going to be a long way behind #1..JMO....though UTk and UTx are both going to be looking for a coach come Monday and can match bama money and the football program / coach is not a legend to contend with. A bad time to be looking for a new coach ??

Comment on sports talk yesterday....IF bama gets a coach with Big5 experience it will be someone currently (or soon to be) out of a job. As someone noted on here a while back....all the stars were aligned correctly for AU to entice Bruce here.....if we were looking for a coach now, I doubt we would be able to even get an interview with a guy like him....JMO.

3 million a year is hard to turn down. I doubt he leaves but if someone wants to throw that much money at you, then, you gotta listen.

3 million a year is hard to turn down. I doubt he leaves but if someone wants to throw that much money at you, then, you gotta listen.

That's true but Marshall is reportedly already making just less than $2 million at Wichita State....meanwhile, Texas is now in the hunt...got rid of Barnes today. They did not even wait until the buy-out price dropped next week....obviously have their eye on someone and don't want to be last to the party.

Should be fun to watch this bidding war for Marshall. Not sure who is even the "second" choice for the big boys if Marshall decides to stay where he is.

So.....who are the guys you would empty the bank to get?

What about this Norte dame coach? They looking. good

He won't leave. They're in the ACC in all sports but football. That puts him in a good spot. ND is in one of the biggest basketball hotbed areas in the country.

He won't leave. They're in the ACC in all sports but football. That puts him in a good spot. ND is in one of the biggest basketball hotbed areas in the country.

Yep....Shaka from VCU is on most lists...after him and Marshall, I haven't heard any name that I could see a school paying $3M+ to get ....and the ones they would like to have are already making that kind of dough with "benefits" and are in winning situations with no need to prove that they can rebuild a program at a football school.

It's a bad time for a major school to be looking for a new BB coach IMO.

Yep....Shaka from VCU is on most lists...after him and Marshall, I haven't heard any name that I could see a school paying $3M+ to get ....and the ones they would like to have are already making that kind of dough with "benefits" and are in winning situations with no need to prove that they can rebuild a program at a football school.

It's funny how a lot of people, myself included, wanted Barbee gone a year earlier. If he had then we wouldn't have BP. It all just fell into place for Auburn to get BP. I am super excited for the future of Auburn Basketball.

From Forde's report:

Sources told Yahoo Sports that Marshall already had signaled Alabama not to waste its energy putting together a whopper offer for his services, because he had his eyes on Texas. So this conceivably could be a short courtship – if anything can get done simply in Austin.

Judging by events...Texas is ready to go. They dumped Barnes this weekend when they could have waited another week which tripped some trigger in his "buyout" and saved themselves some money. Now they may have negotiated that down but looks like they were VERY eager to get after Barne's successor.

http://longhorns.blog.statesman.com/2015/03/26/texas-ad-steve-patterson-pressuing-rick-barnes-to-make-changes/

It's funny how a lot of people, myself included, wanted Barbee gone a year earlier. If he had then we wouldn't have BP. It all just fell into place for Auburn to get BP. I am super excited for the future of Auburn Basketball.

I'm right there with you! Getting BP was the greatest thing in my lifetime for AU BB. I can not express how happy I am to have Coach Pearl.

Bruce Pearl got Grant fired. The bammers who what coach Pearl was doing in the SEC dance by beating Miss. State, LSU and Texas A&M. Plus we came VERY CLOSE to beating the turds in turdville. Battle, Bryant Jr and other bammers are scared of the mighty Pearl.

Bruce Pearl got Grant fired. The bammers who what coach Pearl was doing in the SEC dance by beating Miss. State, LSU and Texas A&M. Plus we came VERY CLOSE to beating the turds in turdville. Battle, Bryant Jr and other bammers are scared of the mighty Pearl.

Probably so...they were not happy with Grant but at least they were content with a trip to NIT or NCAA every now and then and also to beat AU regularly so there was not much push from the PTBs to move him out. But, when BP hit the state, he stole the media attention and the bammers could see that Grant was not going to be able to beat AU and BP.

Money is rarely an object over there so they will probably find the $$$ mark where their target no longer says "NO"...and get a pretty good coach. Maybe not who the blog alums are looking for, but a good coach none the less.

Marshall is staying at Wichita State. On my phone and can't get the link. The bammers are stunned that they got turned down.

This has been hell week down in updyke territory.

Nothing but bad news. And there's more on the way.

Karma is really on a roll.

More? Do tell... ;D/>

UAB has opened up a can of worms because the excuse for canceling football was said to be a financial one. That lead to people taking a look at the money. Also the UAB people are trying to get SACS involved. Yesterday Free UAB went to Montgomery and lobbied state lawmakers. It's getting to be s bigger mess and the more stuff that's getting published the worse bammer looks. Check out the article in Crimson White by bammer grad John Knox who is now a GA professor. He says in that article that bammer is in debt to the tune of 900 million. Free UAB posted it all over fb.

http://www.cw.ua.edu/section/opinion

And somebody wants the IRS to take a look at PBJ and his financial dealings and non-profits.

Archived