2015 Spring Practice - Day 5

RunInRed

Coach Gus Malzahn's post-practice presser ...

Gus: Another good, physical practice. Just trying to get the guys to learn to practice and finish practice. "I like where we're at"

Gus on Sean White: He can really throw the football. He's very accurate, has a strong arm and understands trajectory.

Jonathan Wallace has made the full-time move to wide receiver.

Gus: J-Wall reminds me of Kodi Burns

Gus on H-back: Pettway and Laye are doing a good job, as is Chandler Cox. Double-training those guys at HB and TE

Gus on Marcus Davis: He's one of the more reliable players we have on offense. Believes this will be his year to take the next step.

Gus on Carl Lawson: He's got a football mind. He's a special player.

Gus on Khari Harding's situation at Tulsa w/ NCAA hardship waivers: I'm disappointed for him. He's a fine young man.

Gus on his daughter getting married: It's a big weekend and I'm really looking forward to it.

@AUBlog

*** Focus today: Full pads. "We're getting after it" and "we're going old school."

*** On why Auburn being much more physical with more hitting in practices this spring compared to the fall and previous spring practices under Malzahn: "The bottom line is getting our edge back. That's the most important thing."

http://www.al.com/auburnfootball/index.ssf/2015/03/live_updates_gus_malzahn_revie.html

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

LB Kris Frost ...

Frost on deciding factor coming back: Coaching staff we built is second to none. Potential for national championship is high.

Frost: Coming back was the right decision. Glad to be back and glad to get back to work.

Frost on Lance Thompson: It's great having him. He's another high-intensity guy. ... Loves that mentality.

Frost says he's working at Will and at the dime this spring.

Frost thinks 3rd LB that has a chance to step up is Justin Garrett. Tre' Williams up there. "He (Tre) learns faster than any young guy I've seen"

Frost believes Justin Garrett has been moved around so much because he can do so many different things on defense

Frost on defense improving: It's a day-by-day thing. Nothing is going to happen overnight.

@AUBlog

Frost on Deshaun Davis: "He has a lot of tenacity. ... I think he has a whole lot of potential to do great things."

@wareagleextra

Auburn's Kris Frost says defense has made "lot of progress" in spring. "Feel like being a year older, we've matured. We know what to expect"

@AUGoldMine

DT Montravius Adams ...

Mont Adams says he feels like he's ready to take his game to the next level this year.

Adams said he thinks chemistry got away from the team on defense last year. Had it at points, but sometimes it wasn't there.

@AUBlog

HB/TE Kamryn Pettway ...

Kamryn Pettway on transition to HB/TE: It's been a great transition. Just learning the plays and working hard.

Pettway: It wasn't tough at all. Knew it was the best way to get on the field.

Pettway: I'm alright with not getting a lot of carries. Just wants to help the team.

Pettway on Chandler Cox: He's a great athlete. "He's going to push me a lot" to bring out his best.

Pettway thinks the H-back position will see more throws this season.

@AUBlog

WR Marcus Davis ...

Marcus Davis on his spring: I feel pretty good. Definitely more comfortable coming in, ready to contribute and make more plays.

Davis on his biggest strength at WR: "Just running routes. I feel like I could get myself open."

Davis on Duke Williams: He's taking more of a leadership role now, letting his talents help develop other people around him to be great.

Davis said he's been working some at outside receiver, but mostly in the slot.

Davis said Ricardo Louis has also taken on a leadership role this spring.

Davis said his biggest goal this spring is winning the punt return job. Covets that opportunity.

Davis on Jason Smith at WR: He's a great athlete. They work together after practice to help polish his skills at WR.

Davis said he's very similar to Quan Bray. Feels like he could make plays in space like Bray did last year.

@AUBlog

I think Garrett has been misused in the same manner that Tristan davis was. Both would've been great if they were put at a position and left there as is neither truly reached their full potential.

I think Garrett has been misused in the same manner that Tristan davis was. Both would've been great if they were put at a position and left there as is neither truly reached their full potential.

Bird, how was Tristan Davis misused in your opinion?? Just curious..

I'm told Garrett is a super practice guy but disappears on game day.

That doesn't seem too far fetched as when he does actually get in games, when he's not hurt, his play never seems to back up all the hype he gets in the media from coaches. Maybe he's just a practice all-star. Maybe injuries have had something to do with it, either way I'm hoping someone can step up and be the 3rd LB.

That doesn't seem too far fetched as when he does actually get in games, when he's not hurt, his play never seems to back up all the hype he gets in the media from coaches. Maybe he's just a practice all-star. Maybe injuries have had something to do with it, either way I'm hoping someone can step up and be the 3rd LB.

It's like he forgets or gets too pumped up and gets out of position.

And AU is going to be LOTS better at the LBer position this year. CWM has been all over this. Trust me.

And I'm told grass is green.

lol...hey some guys are just like that. When the lights come on the moment is just too big for them. There are also plenty of examples of the opposite being true. Bad practice players but totally turn it on for games. Ronney Daniels comes to mind.

The funniest example I remember is Jabar Gaffney at UF. When he was blowing through the conference as a freshman, Spurrier was asked why he was never mentioned in practice reports and had a difficult time cracking the starting lineup. Spurrier's answer was something like, "He wasn't this good in practice."

A lot of guys put it together as seniors. I'm hoping Justin does that. He's got the talent to be an impact player. I hope he stays healthy and displays his ability.

The funniest example I remember is Jabar Gaffney at UF. When he was blowing through the conference as a freshman, Spurrier was asked why he was never mentioned in practice reports and had a difficult time cracking the starting lineup. Spurrier's answer was something like, "He wasn't this good in practice."

A lot of guys put it together as seniors. I'm hoping Justin does that. He's got the talent to be an impact player. I hope he stays healthy and displays his ability.

i remember that. he said, we didnt know he was this good until we put him in the game.

Devaroe Lawrence before coming to Auburn.

940676.jpg

Devaroe Lawrence at practice yesterday. :thumbsup:

1499543.jpg

Devaroe Lawrence at practice last week.

628x471.jpg

Finally, for those worrying about Duke Williams' weight, here he is at practice yesterday. Blubber you say ? :rolleyes:

Uhh no.

1499534.jpg

Stand by for the slanderous comments of Metafour and ChimesAU. Duke is fat and they know it. They know better than everybody, including the coaches.

Speaking of the H back role....does anyone have a good website or other link that really explains the role of that position in an offense like Malzahn's? Something with plays drawn up would be sweet.

Good competition at running back. Peyton seems ready to take the next step. So ready for the spring game and to see our guys out there breaking ankles and running through tackles

Speaking of the H back role....does anyone have a good website or other link that really explains the role of that position in an offense like Malzahn's? Something with plays drawn up would be sweet.

Hurry Up No Huddle Book by Gus Malzahn available on Amazon. It helped me.

Stand by for the slanderous comments of Metafour and ChimesAU. Duke is fat and they know it. They know better than everybody, including the coaches.

Antagonizing them certainly won't help.

No, but it sure is fun.

They know better than everybody, including the coaches.

You mean the coaches that have wanted him to lose weight for a full year now? They seem to agree with me and Chimes.

They know better than everybody, including the coaches.

You mean the coaches that have wanted him to lose weight for a full year now? They seem to agree with me and Chimes.

And so it begins...

Archived