2016 4* LB Devin Bush Jr. (Michigan commit)

RunInRed

Even that is difficult to figure out. Javy Mitchell will be a Senior (and likely starter) next year, but his point is well taken. We're going to ask a lot of young guys like Holland, Atkinson, Davis, and Darrell Williams.

And Mcbryde

It's funny how we don't have many LBs but we always seem to forget one of them when having these conversations. Williams, McBryde, Mitchell and Atkinson (my bad) have all taken turns getting completely forgotten.

Wow. I think I just validated everything Mikey has ever said on the subject.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pretty much Williams and mcbryde need to be good or we're in trouble. Gus have raved about both. Last year I said the same about Russell on d line. If he wasn't good we would be screwed

Even that is difficult to figure out. Javy Mitchell will be a Senior (and likely starter) next year, but his point is well taken. We're going to ask a lot of young guys like Holland, Atkinson, Davis, and Darrell Williams.

And Mcbryde

It's funny how we don't have many LBs but we always seem to forget one of them when having these conversations. Williams, McBryde, Mitchell and Atkinson (my bad) have all taken turns getting completely forgotten.

Wow. I think I just validated everything Mikey has ever said on the subject.

It's easy to forget 'em when they haven't done anything worthy of note. I don't see Mitchell as a starter. In his previous three seasons he's been a little-used situational guy. That a 215 pounder is put in on goal-line situations says something about the others.

Apparently most of Atkinson's freshman year has been consumed with trying him at safety. He's one that excelled at LB in high school. Hoping he can help us there.

Saw a tweet by KN saying AU leads for Bush now. Great news. We need LBs.

After the performance I saw from our LBs, especially Trey Williams when he came in for Cass, I'm on the Mikey-train. Sign 5 good ones if possible.

3 DCs in 4 years, nope that has nothing to do with it. 3-4 different defensive schemes... nope doesn't matter at all. Let's just recruit 5 Lbs every year and forget about managing attrition across the board. "We don't have no stinkin cap on signees in our fantasy world."

Here is the winning recipe.... Continuity, Development, Production, and watch the recruits come. We just want heads to roll till we run out of bodies.

Just my opinion here. I believe McBryde can be a really good lb in muschamp's defense. He is the smaller athletic type that can run and make plays. I believe he will make some impact in the 2 deep next year.

Atkinson was the guy Muschamp was talking about burning his redshirt at LB a few weeks ago. I'm glad we held off on that, but I think he's playing LB exclusively.

As for Mitchell, he's playing a lot right now. He's not a situational player, unless that term simply means "non-starter." He's Garrett's backup, and he's played in every game this season. I'll just go on record now and say it will be something of a surprise (not a huge one by any means) if he isn't starting next year.

I suspect the starters will be Javy Mitchell, Tre Williams, and Jeff Holland (LB/DE ala Cass). The rest of the rotation is anyone's guess.

I don't think you can move everyone. McBryde and Colbert was initially tagged as Safeties. With Dinson lost for most of next year (almost certainly), that could necessitate the move of Roberts or Ruffin back to CB or force Irvin to the edge. I've loved Rudy Ford at Nickel the last two games. That alignment gives us more speed in the back, but Irvin is part of the plans. That guy can play.

Regardless, my only (long-winded as usual) point is that we signed three Safeties last year, and now people are proposing two of them walk down to LB with the possibility that the other could be needed at CB. That's a recipe for a thin position group.

Atkinson was the guy Muschamp was talking about burning his redshirt at LB a few weeks ago. I'm glad we held off on that, but I think he's playing LB exclusively.

As for Mitchell, he's playing a lot right now. He's not a situational player, unless that term simply means "non-starter." He's Garrett's backup, and he's played in every game this season. I'll just go on record now and say it will be something of a surprise (not a huge one by any means) if he isn't starting next year.

I suspect the starters will be Javy Mitchell, Tre Williams, and Jeff Holland (LB/DE ala Cass). The rest of the rotation is anyone's guess.

Atkinson has played in every game on special teams. He had no redshirt to burn.

About Mitchell, we'll just have to wait and see next season. Maybe he'll still come in for goal line duty or I suppose he could shock me and become a regular.

I don't think you can move everyone. McBryde and Colbert was initially tagged as Safeties. With Dinson lost for most of next year (almost certainly), that could necessitate the move of Roberts or Ruffin back to CB or force Irvin to the edge. I've loved Rudy Ford at Nickel the last two games. That alignment gives us more speed in the back, but Irvin is part of the plans. That guy can play.

Regardless, my only (long-winded as usual) point is that we signed three Safeties last year, and now people are proposing two of them walk down to LB with the possibility that the other could be needed at CB. That's a recipe for a thin position group.

I've never heard mcbryde at safety

After the performance I saw from our LBs, especially Trey Williams when he came in for Cass, I'm on the Mikey-train. Sign 5 good ones if possible.

3 DCs in 4 years, nope that has nothing to do with it. 3-4 different defensive schemes... nope doesn't matter at all. Let's just recruit 5 Lbs every year and forget about managing attrition across the board. "We don't have no stinkin cap on signees in our fantasy world."

Here is the winning recipe.... Continuity, Development, Production, and watch the recruits come. We just want heads to roll till we run out of bodies.

Bad day?

I've never heard mcbryde at safety

McBryde is definitely an Lb. Colbert played a ton of LB in High School.

Bad day?

No! It was actually excellent. Thanks for asking!!! How was your's?

On McBryde, I've heard nothing about the kid at practice. I was basing my guess on his position on two things: (1) he said during recruiting that he expected to play Safety (http://www.montgomeryadvertiser.com/story/sports/high-school/football/2014/12/08/auburn-commit-mcbryde-hopes-fits-tigers/20120549/) and (2) Rivals has him listed as a Safety. I assumed they had a reason for doing that, but I fully recognize that could be a flawed assumption.

On Atkinson, I had no idea he'd been out there on special teams! Thanks for the info, Mikey. Never noticed him, but the participation charts don't lie.

• 1 month later...

Archived