Rand Paul, Reacting to Ted Cruz, Talks "Winnability

JoeBags7277

Rand Paul on Monday, in his first extensive comments since Ted Cruz officially announced his presidential candidacy, made the case that he’s the electable Republican candidate.

The Kentucky senator, hours after his Senate colleague jumped into the presidential race, suggested his more inclusive vision for the Republican Party makes him a more appealing general-election candidate.

Story Continued Below

“Ted Cruz is a conservative. But it also goes to winnability,” Paul said on Fox News’ “The Kelly File.”

The senator said that he didn’t watch much of Cruz’s Monday morning announcement and declined to take any major jabs at his likely rival. But he did suggest on several occasions that the party needs to do more than throw out “red meat” to its supporters and rally the conservative base — an apparent attempt to differentiate himself from Cruz, a darling of the conservative wing but a polarizing national figure.

“We kind of come from the same wing of the party. And if you look at our voting records, you’ll find we’re very, very similar,” Paul said. “I guess what makes us different is probably our approach as to how we would make the party bigger. And I’m a big believer that you should stand on principle and be true to your principles, but I also think that we should take those principles and try to bring in new people with them.”

2_lede__20140128js_sotu214-web_90x49.jpg

ALSO ON POLITICO

From backbencher to White House contender

MANU RAJU

Paul, all but certain to announce his presidential candidacy in two weeks’ time, touted polling data showing him doing well against presumptive Democratic nominee Hillary Clinton, in swing states and among independent voters. And he made reference to his outreach to the African-American community in Ferguson, at the NAACP and elsewhere — outreach he has said is necessary for the GOP to expand its base and win national elections.

“I’m the only one that beats Hillary Clinton in certain purple states. I’m the only one that also scores above all the other Republicans in whether or not I can beat her,” he said.

Cruz on Monday became the first official presidential candidate in the 2016 cycle, announcing his bid first with a tweet and then in a 25-minute speech at Virginia’s Liberty University, the world’s largest Christian university. The speech, peppered with religious imagery, was aimed squarely at the conservative wing as Cruz vies to become the base’s preferred alternative to establishment front-runner Jeb Bush.

Paul is expected to announce his candidacy on April 7 in Louisville, after which he will visit the first four presidential nominating states in four days: New Hampshire the day after, followed by South Carolina, Iowa and Nevada.

Asked about several apparent Paul supporters in the audience at Cruz’s speech, Paul smiled but said his team wasn’t responsible.

150323_ted_cruz_oil_getty_1160_90x49.jpg

ALSO ON POLITICO

Can Cruz win the oil primary?

ANDREW RESTUCCIA and ELANA SCHOR

“Some of those who were required wanted to make sure that just by having to be there, they weren’t expressing their support” for Cruz, Paul said, noting that appearance at the event was mandatory for Liberty University students. “But we were glad to see them there and organized and excited about the possibility of me running.”

Paul and Cruz, who are both angling for the anti-establishment and libertarian factions of the GOP, have frequently sparred through the media. Though they both supported each other on filibusters against Obama administration drone policy and the Affordable Care Act, they have publicly disagreed particularly on foreign policy, as Cruz has pegged Paul as being too reluctant on military intervention. Paul has also taken implicit swipes at Cruz for criticizing fellow Republicans, behavior which has earned the Texas senator scorn from several congressional Republicans.

Paul — who often uses his strong social media presence to troll his rivals — asked his followers to retweet “Stand With Rand” messages just minutes after Cruz finished his speech Monday morning.

Read more: http://www.politico.com/story/2015/03/rand-paul-reacts-ted-cruz-2016-announcement-116340.html#ixzz3VK2wBkVD

I like Rand Paul. Don't agree with him on everything. I might end up supporting him. I think he's wrong here. I know why he said it. He has to distinguish himself and draw a distinction between the two. I believe Cruz can inspire people if they will actually pay attention to him. Both men are good strong candidates.

Its interesting that Rand Paul is also a 1st term Senator a point, about which, most of us criticized Obama. Nevertheless, Cruz is a very smart guy and it should be very interesting seeing how he deals with the MSM that is already frothing at the mouth about his announcement.

My preference is a new face and a Washington outsider like Scott walker who has executive experience and has a proven ability to handle liberals. After all, Wisconsin is a very liberal state. However, my mind is open to whomever represents themselves best as the guy who can bring America back to its former greatness. That our great nation is in decline is a fact that is not even debatable.

I would have preferred to see Cruz mature into a more seasoned, appealing candidate and give it a go in 2020 or 2024. So far, he's attempted many of the same tactics as Rand but gotten little to nothing in real results, and seems disinterested in reaching across the aisle on things he can agree with Democrats on, or at least should be able to. Hopefully that maturation would also mean a more humble foreign policy than what he's indicated to this point as well.

Its interesting that Rand Paul is also a 1st term Senator a point, about which, most of us criticized Obama. Nevertheless, Cruz is a very smart guy and it should be very interesting seeing how he deals with the MSM that is already frothing at the mouth about his announcement.

My preference is a new face and a Washington outsider like Scott walker who has executive experience and has a proven ability to handle liberals. After all, Wisconsin is a very liberal state. However, my mind is open to whomever represents themselves best as the guy who can bring America back to its former greatness. That our great nation is in decline is a fact that is not even debatable.

Obama is who he is because of his ideology. He'd be the same person and do the same things if he had been a two term governor. He's run circles around veteran politicians who have been in office for decades in some cases. It's a valid point to make but ideology matters more.

I would have preferred to see Cruz mature into a more seasoned, appealing candidate and give it a go in 2020 or 2024. So far, he's attempted many of the same tactics as Rand but gotten little to nothing in real results, and seems disinterested in reaching across the aisle on things he can agree with Democrats on, or at least should be able to. Hopefully that maturation would also mean a more humble foreign policy than what he's indicated to this point as well.

Cruz has plenty of appeal. His resume is off the charts when compared to another 1st term Senator that currently sits in the WH. He graduated Valedictorian from his HS, Cum Laude from Princeton and Magna Cum Laude from Harvard Law where his professors have been quoted as saying his brilliance is "off the charts." While at Harvard he was the American and National Debate Champion so the guy can definitely think on his feet. His telepromptor less speech yesterday has the left calling him a cheater already. He clerked under the Chief Justice of the Supreme Court and argued many cases to the Supreme Court as Solicitor General for the State of Texas.

The guy is ANYTHING but stupid so, it will be funny watching the left paint him as such like they do ALL conservatives.

Obama is who he is because of his ideology. He'd be the same person and do the same things if he had been a two term governor. He's run circles around veteran politicians who have been in office for decades in some cases. It's a valid point to make but ideology matters more.

Obama has successfully used his race with the assistance of the MSM to accomplish his agenda. How many times has it been claimed that disagreeing with him makes one a racist? A lot and the republicans are absolutely scared to death of that

Cruz has plenty of appeal. His resume is off the charts when compared to another 1st term Senator that currently sits in the WH. He graduated Valedictorian from his HS, Cum Laude from Princeton and Magna Cum Laude from Harvard Law where his professors have been quoted as saying his brilliance is "off the charts." While at Harvard he was the American and National Debate Champion so the guy can definitely think on his feet. His telepromptor less speech yesterday has the left calling him a cheater already. He clerked under the Chief Justice of the Supreme Court and argued many cases to the Supreme Court as Solicitor General for the State of Texas.

The guy is ANYTHING but stupid so, it will be funny watching the left paint him as such like they do ALL conservatives.

I never said he was stupid. It takes more than academic prowess to win the Oval Office, particularly for the GOP in this environment. Cruz hasn't demonstrated any willingness to broaden his appeal beyond those already predisposed to favoring him- Tea Partiers and Evangelicals. He cannot win without doing so.

I never said he was stupid. It takes more than academic prowess to win the Oval Office, particularly for the GOP in this environment. Cruz hasn't demonstrated any willingness to broaden his appeal beyond those already predisposed to favoring him- Tea Partiers and Evangelicals. He cannot win without doing so.

I never said I believed he could win. I did say it would interesting seeing him run his race because he IS a brilliant guy. I stand by that statement 100%

If believing in the principles that this country was founded on and following the constitution are not winning strategies then we are in serious trouble.

If believing in the principles that this country was founded on and following the constitution are not winning strategies then we are in serious trouble.

SO many people have lost sight of everything outside what the MSM tells them. They always try to shape the republican field to the left's benefit.

SO many people have lost sight of everything outside what the MSM tells them. They always try to shape the republican field to the left's benefit.

The problem is too many in the republican party have fallen for that narrative and are scared to death of what the media will say about them. They are stuck inside that beltway bubble and have no clue about what things are actually like in the rest of the country.

Asking liberal Dems. to obey the constitution is like asking atheists to obey the ten commandments. They do when it suits them.

The problem is too many in the republican party have fallen for that narrative and are scared to death of what the media will say about them. They are stuck inside that beltway bubble and have no clue about what things are actually like in the rest of the country.

Hell, that affliction isn't limited to just inside the beltway. There are people here whose mind is already made up they would never vote for Ted Cruz and I have to believe 100% of that sentiment is driven by the fact that Cruz had the fortitude to stand up to a President that wanted a govt shut down so he could blame it on republicans. Those same ninnies were saying Cruz's stunt was the end of the republican party until they picked up 9 seats in the Senate and 12 in the House less than a year later. I have no idea what is going to happen but I would welcome ANYONE to the WH who actually sees the Constitution as a guide line of action and not an impediment to be trampled all over.

Hell, that affliction isn't limited to just inside the beltway. There are people here whose mind is already made up they would never vote for Ted Cruz and I have to believe 100% of that sentiment is driven by the fact that Cruz had the fortitude to stand up to a President that wanted a govt shut down so he could blame it on republicans. Those same ninnies were saying Cruz's stunt was the end of the republican party until they picked up 9 seats in the Senate and 12 in the House less than a year later. I have no idea what is going to happen but I would welcome ANYONE to the WH who actually sees the Constitution as a guide line of action and not an impediment to be trampled all over.

Amen to that one. We've got some good people for this election. Now if we can just keep from using up all our ammunition on each other. Too many times conservatives get all wound up over one or two issues and just won't support a particular candidate because of that and they'll set out to destroy that individual. I could easily support Cruz, Paul, Carson or Walker without any reservation whatsoever.

My main concern with Cruz is he is a first term Senator. Look what's happened with the last one we elected.

Like I said earlier PT, it's not so much the lack of experience as it is the principles of the individual. Nothing that has gone on during the last 6 years would be any different had Obama been a governor or served two terms in the Senate.

I have to disagree. Governors bring the most to the table because of their experience as chief executive of a state. Everything else being equal, I will take a governor over a senator any day.

I can understand that but still the fact remains that the most important part is the beliefs of the individual. Obama did everything he did because he is who he is, because of his ideology. He would have done exactly the same thing had he been governor of Illinois for two terms. It's a valid argument to make about being a governor but I look at the principles of the individuals first and then to other things.

If either actually did that, you'd have a point. Tea-o-cons care about fidelity to the Constitution when it suits them, and most Evangelicals are all about freedom of religion for me, but not for thee.

If either actually did that, you'd have a point. Tea-o-cons care about fidelity to the Constitution when it suits them, and most Evangelicals are all about freedom of religion for me, but not for thee.

Oh really now and how did you come to that conclusion. Yes some do but most? I'll have to call bs on that one.

Oh really now and how did you come to that conclusion. Yes some do but most? I'll have to call bs on that one.

Most people who criticize what the Tea Party is all about dont have a clue what they're talking about. As far as religion goes, i dont think I have ever heard or seen an evangelical have a problem with anybody's religion unlike Obama and those on the left who insist that people betray the fundamental tenets of their religion to support abortion.

Most people who criticize what the Tea Party is all about dont have a clue what they're talking about. As far as religion goes, i dont think I have ever heard or seen an evangelical have a problem with anybody's religion unlike Obama and those on the left who insist that people betray the fundamental tenets of their religion to support abortion.

I was there in its infancy when it was still coalition based and focusing on reducuing the size and scope of government. I was at the state house for the inaugural tax day rally when state politicians were booed and heckled off the stage. From there, the focus shifted to gaining GOP control of the house, promoting a theocratic agenda, along with getting involved in divisive social issues, and finally, electing Mitt freaking Romney, in no particular order. No movement can do such things and maintain bipartisan, populist appeal.

If you don't know any Evangelicals who feel that way, you certainly weren't raised in a family like mine. The minute I strayed off the reservation, embraced freedom for everyone to peacefully believe what they will, and started thinking for myself was the minute I became the black sheep. Where are you at Christmas time when the faux War on Christmas rhetoric ramps up every year? Its rooted in the ironclad belief that they are right and the opinion of all others are secondary.

Your right. If only for the media, everyone would love Republicans. :rolleyes:

Archived