Yahoo political reporter: Cruz talking about God given rights is bizarre

cooltigger21

Meridith Shiner believes that the idea of our rights are not God given but come from man. I know Yahoo isn't considered a major or mainstream news outlet but a lot of people, especially young people go to places like this for their news. I actually feel sorry for her because wherever she went to school, they really did her a major disservice. http://newsbusters.org/blogs/tom-blumer/2015/03/23/yahoo-political-reporter-cruz-talking-about-god-given-rights-bizarre

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Arguing who gives us rights is pointless. What matters is who protects those rights.

Man, and law created by man, does the best job at protecting those rights. Would we even need laws like the Bill of Rights if some supernatural force protected our rights?

Actually the wording is "endowed by their creator"

I've always thought that they were being forward thinking when writing this, since saying creator covers all bases. Any belief has a creator or creators.

It stops any argument that could have came up if they used God/YHWH/Elohim/Shiva/etc since that would have given license to others to restrict rights based on their belief system.

Actually the wording is "endowed by their creator"

I've always thought that they were being forward thinking when writing this, since saying creator covers all bases. Any belief has a creator or creators.

It stops any argument that could have came up if they used God/YHWH/Elohim/Shiva/etc since that would have given license to others to restrict rights based on their belief system.

OK Yeah. We're sort of splitting hairs but that's a good way to put it. I see more and more examples of the idea that these rights come from man rather than their creator.

Even if you don't "believe" in God...He believes in You. We are given or rights by THE Creator...

Even if you don't "believe" in God...He believes in You. We are given or rights by THE Creator...

THE Creator can give us rights, but they are irrelevant if man can take them away.

How relevant was "God a given rights to freedom" to slaves?

Who are you to speak for V'ger ?

God was kind of slow to warm up to women, too. ;D

You mean stupid ole man was slow to realize the obvious lesson from the Garden of Eden?

God was kind of slow to warm up to women, too. ;D/>

:-\

You have a better example of the treatment of slaves and women from 4000 years ago that you care to share?

:-\

You have a better example of the treatment of slaves and women from 4000 years ago that you care to share?

Throughout multiple threads I've posted quite a few from the Old Testament that clearly puts women below men.

:-\/>

Throughout multiple threads I've posted quite a few from the Old Testament that clearly puts women below men.

You have posted things that clearly shows that the GOD of Abraham sees a clear distinction between a man and a woman. Nothing more and nothing less!

There is nothing written that speaks of GOD putting women below men.

Old Testament. Why do people keep bringing up an old covenant that has been done away with?

Why are you so ashamed of the god written about in Exodus?

Old Testament. Why do people keep bringing up an old covenant that has been done away with?

If it holds no religious importance then it would not be included in your peoples holy book.

Looking through the old testament I don't even see notes alongside the scripture that says "ignore this, not for christian beliefs"

I'm not, but I am smart enough to understand why Jesus came here. And I understand the significance of what He did. The old covenant is of no value to me other than to give me a historical context of biblical figures and events and for me to derive wisdom from. I am under the New Covenant. Not the old.

If it holds no religious importance then it would not be included in your peoples holy book.

Looking through the old testament I don't even see notes alongside the scripture that says "ignore this, not for christian beliefs"

I didn't say that it wasn't important, I said that it has been done away with. The New Covenant replaced the old. Your second statement is just funny.

I'm not, but I am smart enough to understand why Jesus came here. And I understand the significance of what He did. The old covenant is of no value to me other than to give me a historical context of biblical figures and events and for me to derive wisdom from. I am under the New Covenant. Not the old.

So allow me to play devils advocate then.

The old testament testifies that GOD chose 3 people to lead Israel from bondage. 2 men and 1 women. The New Testament has Jesus choosing 12 apostles, then 1 replacement, and Paul with his 3 sidekicks. All male.

The old testament never says that women should remain silent yet the New testament does.

The old testament shows a women as a judge while the new testament shows a women washing feet.

The testament has entire books written around women while the new testament has not even a letter.

The Old Testament shows that women can claim inheritance and has laws that protect Women. The new is silent.

What say you?

So allow me to play devils advocate then.

The old testament testifies that GOD chose 3 people to lead Israel from bondage. 2 men and 1 women. The New Testament has Jesus choosing 12 apostles, then 1 replacement, and Paul with his 3 sidekicks. All male.

The old testament never says that women should remain silent yet the New testament does.

The old testament shows a women as a judge while the new testament shows a women washing feet.

The testament has entire books written around women while the new testament has not even a letter.

The Old Testament shows that women can claim inheritance and has laws that protect Women. The new is silent.

What say you?

What specifically are you referencing? Paul states in Galatians 3:28 There is neither Jew nor Greek, slave nor free, male nor female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus.

THE Creator can give us rights, but they are irrelevant if man can take them away.

How relevant was "God a given rights to freedom" to slaves?

if I read my Bible correctly, and I did, God freed some Jewish slaves too!! ;-)

Who are you to speak for V'ger ?

Who would listen to V'ger when the Cyclon God is speaking to us?

And with that, i am off to find something to occupy my mind...Yall are too funny .

V'ger? :lmao:

Archived