Theist, Atheist, Agnostic. Teaching children.

Mims44

Don't have kids yet. I'd raise them like I was raised I imagine. My cousin is actually a pretty well known pastor nationally, I won't mention her name because any insults towards her wouldn't be good...physical correction sure worked on me lol. Wasn't scared of anybody or anything the hood but was terrified of my little mom and grand mom. Just the thought of disappointing my grand da was enough to discipline me as far as he goes

I wish more kids felt this way.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

...Now my 3 year old son, being the sponge he is, always starts his conversations with "Father, I need to talk about it" whenever he wants something. He works it like a champ and gets that Mutant turtle almost everytime....

Man, I know that feeling. All three of my girls (and my wife) have found my soft spot and hammer it whenever they want something.

I am reminded of an aphorism about dogs: "You are either training your dog, or your dog is training you."

Guess it applies to kids too. ;D

I will admit that if Allah, or Vishnu, or Buddha et al. send their Holy Spirit to reveal themselves to me then I would probably believe that they were real also.

I'm not trying to pry, but are you really going to leave us hanging? ;D

...Now my 3 year old son, being the sponge he is, always starts his conversations with "Father, I need to talk about it" whenever he wants something. He works it like a champ and gets that Mutant turtle almost everytime....

Man, I know that feeling. All three of my girls (and my wife) have found my soft spot and hammer it whenever they want something.

There's a joke in the Navy that if you are a P-3 Pilot / crewman or have been on a Ship with an Aegis radar, all you'll have is girls. Well, I was on two Aegis ships and all I have are girls...

Nuke Bubblehead...boy.

I am reminded of an aphorism about dogs: "You are either training your dog, or your dog is training you."

It really does. Once they find out what works they'll hammer it.

Kids are perceptive as heck, man.

Okay, I be the wacko. I was mostly a pretend Christian for 40+ years, and until recently, would have agreed that it would be good to teach your kids to be open to all things. However, everything changed when God revealed HisTruth to me. Once you know the truth, you cannot reasonably teach anything else.

I've often thought about this, and what route I would take with my kids. Most people who find God do so at a later age and there is some sort of epiphany involved. I've often thought if this happened to me would I immediately change the way I taught my children towards that religion... or would I try and re-create my own experiences in them so that they reach their own epiphany?

My ex is a very headstrong atheist and wants our kids to be the exact same,

She seein' anyone ?

She seein' anyone ?

She's insane, so likely seeing multiple people... who aren't really there.

She seein' anyone ?

:laugh:

Duly warned.

Okay, I be the wacko. I was mostly a pretend Christian for 40+ years, and until recently, would have agreed that it would be good to teach your kids to be open to all things. However, everything changed when God revealed HisTruth to me. Once you know the truth, you cannot reasonably teach anything else.

I've often thought about this, and what route I would take with my kids. Most people who find God do so at a later age and there is some sort of epiphany involved. I've often thought if this happened to me would I immediately change the way I taught my children towards that religion... or would I try and re-create my own experiences in them so that they reach their own epiphany?

I definitely had an epiphany in spirit and awareness. (I have said before and I will say again that I have never seen nor heard anything) I Don't think I could give justice to my experience in this forum. Eye opening is my short description of it.

Even with that, I will only "expose" my children to my faith and understanding. Faith cannot be imposed. I will impress habits into them but if they choose to reject them as they get older I will not make them feel any anxiety toward it.

I want them to experience the rest that came into my life on their own.

He will call (most of you he has already called but you keep plugging your ears), and if you turn to his call, he will show himself to you. (LOL!!!)>>It will not be some big glowing bearded Zeus looking man but he will show himself and you will know it without seeing or hearing a thing in this physical world that we know. Now I feel like a 2 year old waiting to see Yeshua in the flesh. Something I can see, touch, and hear.

I see him but just not yet!

Maybe I will "expose" my kids to enough of his love and truth that they will listen eagerly for his call. I was stubbornly hitting the snooze button every time.

It really does. Once they find out what works they'll hammer it.

Kids are perceptive as heck, man.

Well, that figures. So are dogs. ;D

Interesting thread...I grew up a Hindu and brought up our kids the same. We had christians and muslims growing up as friends and neighbors and we have tried to teach our kids to be very open about religion.

I joke that Hinduism is a religion of hundreds of gods, so there is no issue with Jesus, Allah or Buddha, we will accept them all.

Interesting thread...I grew up a Hindu and brought up our kids the same. We had christians and muslims growing up as friends and neighbors and we have tried to teach our kids to be very open about religion.

I joke that Hinduism is a religion of hundreds of gods, so there is no issue with Jesus, Allah or Buddha, we will accept them all.

My best friend for about two years while i was in elementary was from India. His dad was an MD and they eventually moved away. But Chandan and me were inseparable back then. His mom was a very very devout Hindu with a small worship area in the den. Opened my eyes greatly.

She seein' anyone ?

:laugh:/>

Duly warned.

Sounds like a match! ;)

She seein' anyone ?

:laugh:/>

Duly warned.

Sounds like a match! ;)

Curious as to how she knows none of those imaginary folks aren't Jesus, God, or Casper, the Holy Ghost. But oh well. :gofig:

She seein' anyone ?

sounds like a match to me.

Yeah, I only see those who exist in this plane of existence. Sorry.

And that FOX news sticks strictly to facts and is "fair and balanced". No doubting you are a completely right thinking person.

And that FOX news sticks strictly to facts and is "fair and balanced". No doubting you are a completely right thinking person.

Ya know I almost put a no obama talk PS on my original post lol

So, you are openly admitting you are secondary and third plane intolerant then?

Freakin Planist! Where's my moral outrage card, i need to go protest something...

:lmao:

Ya know I almost put a no obama talk PS on my original post lol

LOL

My sarcasm got the best of me and I could not resist. Bad form :sad2:

Freakin Planist! Where's my moral outrage card, i need to go protest something...

:lmao:/>

:laugh:

:lmao:

If the other planers have a problem with my views, they're more than welcome to tell me to my face. Which they can't do , as they don't exist.

Archived