Theist, Atheist, Agnostic. Teaching children.

Mims44

I bet Raptor would cut all of the lifeboats off the ship because there is no way in hell...well no way in nothing that the ship will sink! He is sure of it! :laugh:

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I bet Raptor would cut all of the lifeboats off the ship because there is no way in hell...well no way in nothing that the ship will sink! He is sure of it! :laugh:

Pascal's Wager

I can swim just fine. Not my problem if others can't.

Apparently,Raptor has been to the other side and has seen nothing. He is pretty sure about this. :laugh:

the-interstellar-bookcase.jpg

I just wanted to check out one book...

I bet Raptor would cut all of the lifeboats off the ship because there is no way in hell...well no way in nothing that the ship will sink! He is sure of it! :laugh:/>

Nice summation of your mindset.

I bet Raptor would cut all of the lifeboats off the ship because there is no way in hell...well no way in nothing that the ship will sink! He is sure of it! :laugh:/>

Yep. If more folks thought like that, there'd be fewer looking for help.

Yep. If more folks thought like that, there'd be fewer looking for help.

they'd be dead

They'd be dead by being more self reliant ? Really?

huh.

One day you, or someone you care about, may need a little help.

Really? You want to do down the road of absurd hypotheticals even further ?

They'd be dead by being more self reliant ? Really?

huh.

One day you, or someone you care about, may need a little help.

Really? You want to do down the road of absurd hypotheticals even further ?

You're right. It's absurd that you might care about another person. My apologies.

You're right. It's absurd that you might care about another person. My apologies.

Please, be clear. Any poor,gay, minority handicapped, non swimsuit model types...

Please, be clear. Any poor,gay, minority handicapped, non swimsuit model types...

AURaptor... You assume that all of us that have faith in the bible were complete misfits before we picked up the book and put trust in it.

I was taught that stealing, murder, etc... was wrong by my parents and social structure around me. As I became an adult I accepted these "moral guidelines" as truth. I made this decision on my own and without religion. My faith just confirmed and refined a truth that was clearly right.

Every football player that is offered a scholarship to Auburn knows the game of football. Why do we have coaches? Why do they need practice? Why do they scrimmage? These are all tools to refine their skills and develop new and better techniques.

There is an old proverb that is mainly used when trying to get people to eat healthy. "you are what you eat". This can spiritually be carried over into what goes into your mind as well. If one keeps a steady diet of scripture(Judea Christian scripture) it's hard to argue that they will not refine and improve what moral skills they currently have. Much like the analogy of the football players above. "Practice makes perfect improvement"

Even if I was to give into the idea that god is manmade, we have a book that chronicles the evolution of a group of people over the span of around 4000 years (in claim at least). This book concludes with the end product of this development. Jesus (Yeshua)!!! Again, even if I was to believe for one second that Yeshua is a man made fictional character the ideas expressed on "morality" set the bar far above any of it's time. I argue that it exceeds anything man could freely imagine today. My argument cannot be tested because I know with 100% certainty that the man Jesus (or imagination of a group of people about this fictional man) has molded even your moral view.

Most of us freely admit that we need to become better people than we are today. We can't all be as advanced as you are raptor. :poke:

AURaptor... You assume that all of us that have faith in the bible were complete misfits before we picked up the book and put trust in it.

Where have I ever said that ? That'd be never. Please, don't accuse me of stereo typing you while you project your own false stereo typical views onto me.

I was taught that stealing, murder, etc... was wrong by my parents and social structure around me. As I became an adult I accepted these "moral guidelines" as truth. I made this decision on my own and without religion. My faith just confirmed and refined a truth that was clearly right.

Yeah, we're taught all manner of things, but for me, seeing how doing those bad things affect others, whether it's people I know and love, or perfect strangers, is what really made an impact onto me how those things affect us all.

Every football player that is offered a scholarship to Auburn knows the game of football. Why do we have coaches? Why do they need practice? Why do they scrimmage? These are all tools to refine their skills and develop new and better techniques.

There is an old proverb that is mainly used when trying to get people to eat healthy. "you are what you eat". This can spiritually be carried over into what goes into your mind as well. If one keeps a steady diet of scripture(Judea Christian scripture) it's hard to argue that they will not refine and improve what moral skills they currently have. Much like the analogy of the football players above. "Practice makes perfect improvement"

Even if I was to give into the idea that god is manmade, we have a book that chronicles the evolution of a group of people over the span of around 4000 years (in claim at least). This book concludes with the end product of this development. Jesus (Yeshua)!!! Again, even if I was to believe for one second that Yeshua is a man made fictional character the ideas expressed on "morality" set the bar far above any of it's time. I argue that it exceeds anything man could freely imagine today. My argument cannot be tested because I know with 100% certainty that the man Jesus (or imagination of a group of people about this fictional man) has molded even your moral view.

Most of us freely admit that we need to become better people than we are today. We can't all be as advanced as you are raptor. :poke:

At least you admit that much.

Where have I ever said that ? That'd be never. Please, don't accuse me of stereo typing you while you project your own false stereo typical views onto me.

Yeah, we're taught all manner of things, but for me, seeing how doing those bad things affect others, whether it's people I know and love, or perfect strangers, is what really made an impact onto me how those things affect us all.

At least you admit that much.

LOL

Fair enough and I will change my assumption that was built over a long period of time from reading your posts on people believing in "fairy tales" and how you don't need no book.

If you know there is no god, do you see me as off just a little mentally because I claim to know there is a GOD? OR would you say that I just have a wild imagination?

It's really hard to reconcile your certainty in no god and not viewing believers as different in some way. (Sorry again as my choice of misfit was a little strong)

Fair enough and I will change my assumption that was built over a long period of time from reading your posts on people believing in "fairy tales" and how you don't need no book.

If you know there is no god, do you see me as off just a little mentally because I claim to know there is a GOD? OR would you say that I just have a wild imagination?

It's really hard to reconcile your certainty in no god and not viewing believers as different in some way. (Sorry again as my choice of misfit was a little strong)

To jump in with my 2cents.

It's easier for me to admit the possibility of a supreme being than it is for me to believe all the stories of the Bible.

And I would guess I'm not an outlier in that.

It's easier for me to admit the possibility of a supreme being than it is for me to believe all the stories of the Bible.

you are correct. I do believe there is a supreme being. i dont disbelieve the stories of the BIble, just not convinced enough to argue for it of have my government based on it. i am trying tho.

Here's one that should trouble even the most devout Biblical literalist. Noah's Ark. God tells Noah of Earth's impending doom, and instructs him to gather one pair of each species on the planet along with his family and load them on the Ark, and no one else. If this event happened as described, are we all the products of incest?

Here's one that should trouble even the most devout Biblical literalist. Noah's Ark. God tells Noah of Earth's impending doom, and instructs him to gather one pair of each species on the planet along with his family and load them on the Ark, and no one else. If this event happened as described, are we all the products of incest?

Yes. Kissing cousins at that! Noah and his wife took three sons and their wives. (for the record, I believe there was a flood but not globally. However the story is to be a representation of something bigger)

Here is the irony... Do you care to explain to me how the earth got populated without incest?

Then we have Psalm 104 and the actual language it was written in. Psalm 104 eliminates the flood story from being global. Some can disagree but that is the story and I am sticking to it.

The Hebrew words which are translated as "whole earth" or "all the earth" are {kol} (Strong's number H3605), which means "all," and {erets} (Strong's number H776), which means "earth," "land," "country," or "ground." We don't need to look very far in Genesis (Genesis 2) before we find the Hebrew words {kol erets} used and translated differently.

"The name of the first is Pishon; it flows around the whole [kol] land [erets] of Havilah, where there is gold." (Genesis 2:11)

"And the name of the second river is Gihon; it flows around the whole [kol] land [erets] of Cush." (Genesis 2:13)

Obviously, the description of kol erets is modified by the name of the land, indicating a local area from the context. In fact, the term kol erets is nearly always used in the Old Testament to describe a local area of land, instead of our entire planet. However, there are many more examples of where kol erets is used without reference to any specific land, although the context clearly indicates a local area.

For example, in Genesis 11 (the Tower of Babel) the text says, "the whole [kol] earth [erets] used the same language." We know that this reference is not really to the earth at all (and certainly not to the "whole earth"), but to the people of the earth, who all lived in one geographic location. It wasn't until later that God scattered the people over the face of the earth.

There are many other examples of where kol erets actually refers to people rather than the geography of the "whole earth":

Shall not the Judge of all [kol] the earth [erets] deal justly?" (Genesis 18:25) (God judges the people of the earth, not the earth itself)

Now behold, today I am going the way of all [kol] the earth [erets], and you know in all your hearts and in all your souls that not one word of all the good words which the LORD your God spoke concerning you has failed; all have been fulfilled for you, not one of them has failed. (Joshua 23:14) (Joshua was going the way of all people in the earth, whose ultimate destiny is death.)

And all [kol] the people of the land [erets] entered the forest, and there was honey on the ground. (1 Samuel 14:25) (The words "the people of" are added to the English, since they are not found in the Hebrew. The actual translation would be "all the land entered the forest," obviously referring to the people and not to the land itself moving into the forest.)

While all [kol] the country [erets] was weeping with a loud voice, all the people passed over. (2 Samuel 15:23) (Obviously, the earth cannot weep with a loud voice.)

I think books are fine. Even the bible. Though I admit, I'll likely never read it cover to cover. Still, I don't doubt it's a significant collaboration and collection of history and folk lore.

Why would you care ? Thing is, I get the draw to such belief. If we lived in Egypt in the time of the Pharaohs, how could most of us deny the significance of Ra , as we stood in the shadows of the great pyramids ? Point is, our views are shaped by the world in which we live.

Some folks like to watch The Walking Dead. I don't. Does that make them weird and me not weird ? :gofig:

To each their own.

If you go back and read some history books and scientific literature aufaninga, you will find that there are many instances of evidence that before the flood, the continents hadn't split into what they are today, and were in fact, one single continent. The bible speaks of the land allowing the fountains of the deep to break forth. In some instances this is referred to as oceans, but in Genesis 7:11 it means water from the depths of the ground. So, the flood was in fact global.

If you go back and read some history books and scientific literature aufaninga, you will find that there are many instances of evidence that before the flood, the continents hadn't split into what they are today, and were in fact, one single continent. The bible speaks of the land allowing the fountains of the deep to break forth. In some instances this is referred to as oceans, but in Genesis 7:11 it means water from the depths of the ground. So, the flood was in fact global.

Not only that but archaeologists have through the years noted that at a certain depth, they find a clean layer where there is nothing but just earth. This goes all around the world. You find that there were palm trees in the arctic regions. The earth changed drastically after the flood. The continents were split apart at creation. The continental shelf came from the raising of the land after the flood.

A lot of religious books cover a great flood.

It was likely that this event happened, traumatized a lot of people, and the story of it was passed down orally for many generations until written language became a thing.

The Enuma Elish for example is one of the oldest texts ever found, and it also speaks about the great flood.

And to a page back about incest, it is generally assumed by theists/atheists that incest occurred quite often in the human race.

Also, cannibalism:)

Archived