SEC Basketball

AU64

uat just hired Avery Johnson. I did not see that coming. No idea what he's going to be like in the college game. Seems like a bit of a gamble for uat.

I think it's more desperation.

uat just hired Avery Johnson. I did not see that coming. No idea what he's going to be like in the college game. Seems like a bit of a gamble for uat.

We'll see. I think kids will want to play for him.

We'll see. I think kids will want to play for him.

Maybe....but.I bet most kids in HS today won't even know who he is....it's been 8 years since he coached a winning team.

Could turn out to be a good hire but I'm with Clayton on this....the kind of hire that is made because no experience college coach would take the job.

Time will tell though.

Bet they thought he would be a "name" hire ... But not to today's high school kids. 25 y/o and over will be familiar - sort of - but this screams a failed hire. I would think the transitioning between college and pro - either way - would be very hard and not easily successful.

We will find out over the next couple years.

I disagree, I think he HAS the name. Hi I'm coach Johnson, yea, I coached the mavs. Yea we did pretty good.

Wouldn't a recruit's parent counter with, "were you pretty good? How come you were out of coaching?" ;)

Most of the recruits watch NBA ball. He's all over ESPN or ABC during their headline games so it's not like the kids aren't familiar with him.

I disagree, I think he HAS the name. Hi I'm coach Johnson, yea, I coached the mavs. Yea we did pretty good.

Wouldn't a recruit's parent counter with, "were you pretty good? How come you were out of coaching?" ;)/>

Ha, if he's smart he start naming all the hall of fame coaches who were also fired in a variety of sports. The list would be long and include many giants of the sports world.

I don't think Avery is as far removed that kids won't even know who he is...but he still has to show he can recruit

I heard on ESPN Radio that Avery Johnson is extremely familiar with the AAU circuit (especially in Texas) and that should be a big advantage for him.

I think Petteway is a bigger factor for recruiting this year than anything that Johnson brings to the table. I was hoping he would be gone with Grant.

:(

• 2 weeks later...

Except for that year we had the best team in the league and the MVP and got booted in the first round by the 8th seed. Then the next year we got booted in the first round again and I got fired.

I can counter Avery easily and I'm sure Pearl can also. If your for just getting in and going home then Avery is your man, if you wanna go farther Pearl has the track record.

Except for that year we had the best team in the league and the MVP and got booted in the first round by the 8th seed. Then the next year we got booted in the first round again and I got fired.

I can counter Avery easily and I'm sure Pearl can also. If your for just getting in and going home then Avery is your man, if you wanna go farther Pearl has the track record.

The above could be true but consider that AJ has been on the job a couple weeks and he has lost 2 from his current team and not gotten a commitment yet....and praying that a 3* kid from Theodore re-commits. And think back to when BP arrived at AU and the immediate impact with recruits.

Not saying that AJ won't get his act together and eventually be successful, but the idea that he will light up their recruiting just isn't working out that way.

And meanwhile the big 5 or 6 ...Duke, UK, Az and a few others will skim the cream off the top of this year's class....again.... and the rest of the schools will be scrambling to sign a respectable class.

Archived