Defending Darwin

AUDub

Life is ever evolving. My question is....what started the Big Bang?

Why is there an is.

Evolution of life is just part of the the unknown. The universe is much bigger and more complex than we think. there is now a theory that there was no big bang. another theory says that there are multiverses and that we are aware of only one them. If multiverses really exist...

http://www.popsci.com/science/article/2013-09/big-bang-may-not-have-spawned-universe-after-all

http://arxiv.org/abs/1309.1487

http://www.wired.com/2014/08/multiverse/

What if we're all just apart of someone's dream, and as soon as they wake up we all just cease to exist?

Separate but also intriguing question. Thing is now they say there was no 'big bang', which started the Universe, though to be honest, I'm not caught up to speed as to how the new theory works. :gofig:/> Basically, the universe has always existed, though I don't know what happens to all those galaxies which are racing away from us now. Maybe they slow down, at some point, and there's a big crunch ? And it all just keep repeating ?

I am still trying to wrap my head around the idea of "dark matter". (With little progress.)

I heard, (on the radio), someone quote a number that our universe is less than 10% physical matter once you equate "dark matter" and all that other stuff in. Don't know if science backs that up or if it was just an idiot saying it but that is mind blowing to think about.

Of course it blew my mind when I worked for a company making Teddy Cubs and saw that Iron really was just that. Ground up Iron. I even had to get a magnet just to make sure. It is not hard to blow my mind is what I am saying. :sleeping:/>

Actually closer to 4% of the total mass-energy of the universe. ;)/>

Science!

4%.... That makes things so much easier for me to understand now. :drippingsarcasm7pa:

I am still trying to wrap my head around the idea of "dark matter". (With little progress.)

It's not a racist thing. Don't worry.

Why is there an is.

Evolution of life is just part of the the unknown. The universe is much bigger and more complex than we think. there is now a theory that there was no big bang. another theory says that there are multiverses and that we are aware of only one them. If multiverses really exist...

http://www.popsci.co...verse-after-all

http://arxiv.org/abs/1309.1487

http://www.wired.com.../08/multiverse/

Multiverse and the simulation hypothesis are two of my favorites to read about, people come up with some crazy ideas.

• 4 weeks later...

The reason I ask Bens, is because if that one thing was provable without a shadow of a doubt, you have to admit that that would be nuclear explosive as far as creationism vs. evolution goes. Solid proof of a common ancestor would change how everyone on this entire planet views our origin. It would throw the Christian church on its ears. The fact that it is still debated is proof that unmistakable solid proof of a common ancestor hasn't been found. Agree?

It isn't debated within the scientific community, not on any sort of appreciable level. For all intents and purposes, evolution is scientific fact. There's no doubt there is a common ancestor back there. We're too similar to our closest relatives for there not to be.

The reason I ask Bens, is because if that one thing was provable without a shadow of a doubt, you have to admit that that would be nuclear explosive as far as creationism vs. evolution goes. Solid proof of a common ancestor would change how everyone on this entire planet views our origin. It would throw the Christian church on its ears. The fact that it is still debated is proof that unmistakable solid proof of a common ancestor hasn't been found. Agree?

It isn't debated within the scientific community, not on any sort of appreciable level. For all intents and purposes, evolution is scientific fact. There's no doubt there is a common ancestor back there. We're too similar to our closest relatives for there not to be.

More "settled science" or consensus.

Not every dumbass with a crackpot theory is Galileo, dude.

Is gravity "merely a theory" or "settled consensus"?

Is the heliocentric model of our solar system "merely a theory" or "settled consensus"?

Is the germ theory of infectious disease "merely a theory" or "settled consensus"?

Is the atomic theory of matter "merely a theory" or "settled consensus"?

Is the Periodic Table of elements "merely a theory" or "settled consensus"?

Evolutionary "theory" is as sound as any of these. Now that we have the ability to read the genome of any species, the family tree and genetic history of a species vis-a-vis its ancestors becomes increasingly more transparent. Both the Pope and the Dalai Lama, two of the most notable and outspoken religious leaders on the planet, have defended evolution in recent years.

Is the heliocentric model of our solar system "merely a theory" or "settled consensus"?

Is the germ theory of infectious disease "merely a theory" or "settled consensus"?

Evolutionary "theory" is as sound as any of these. Now that we have the ability to read the genome of any species, the family tree and genetic history of a species vis-a-vis its ancestors becomes increasingly more transparent. Both the Pope and the Dalai Lama, two of the most notable and outspoken religious leaders on the planet, have defended evolution in recent years.

I get bored with these threads as they never seem to go anywhere.

It's hard to get to the discussions within evolution when in 10+ pages people are still trying to decide if there is evolution.

I get bored with these threads as they never seem to go anywhere.

It's hard to get to the discussions within evolution when in 10+ pages people are still trying to decide if there is evolution.

Baby steps, dude. Get 'em thinking first and the rest will come. :laugh:

Archived