Baseball at Mississippi State...Game 1

Expect Thompson will start tonight....I think this is a team that will enable AU to score some runs. Would be nice to start the series with a win.

Well....Cole Lipscomb starting tonight...Thompson on Saturday. Interesting move...

cool night...possibility of rain...not very good baseball weather...small crowd...that's good for us I guess.

Robert took called 3rd strike....AU goes down with no hits or runs....one batter HBP left on.

Double play helps get AU out of some trouble from an opening walk....Cole L then gave up a single and a walk...before getting a fly to CF to end the inning...AU up 1-0 going to the 3rd

AU scores 2 with none out...got two on base and is now leading 3-0 thanks to Robert's double.

E-5....and AU has another run...now up 4-0, two on and no outs. safety squeeze brings in another run...now 5-0. two on and no outs. nothing hit hard but the runs are crossing the plate ...MSU been a bit helpful too.

Well AU get's a runner picked off, fielder's choice and a K....go to the bottom of the 3rd leading 5-0

Thanks for the updates. I'm having a lot of trouble with the internet feed. It's been hard to keep up. I don't know if it's weather related or if it's my crappy internet provider.

Thanks for the updates. I'm having a lot of trouble with the internet feed. It's been hard to keep up. I don't know if it's weather related or if it's my crappy internet provider.

Glad to help....figure most people are getting it on line...but not all.

AU got a solid lead....a bit of sloppy play by MSU helped us ...BUT...Cole is staked to a nice lead now.

nice play by Robert at 1B...got a double play to clear the bases...6-4-3....two down. Walk with two outs...CL having a little problem throwing strikes but has managed to avoid giving up any runs. ..thrown a lot of pitches....4 walks in 3 innings......and two DPs to bail him out. OK...gets a K....but he is not going many innings tonight at this rate.

AU goes 3 up and 3 down in 4th.....

MSU coming to bat trailing 5-0. Nothing hit hard off Lipscomb....most of his problems tonight have come from walks....but some timely defense kept runners from passing 2nd as far as I can recall. Don't think MSU has had a runner in scoring position yet tonight.

nice running catch by Ebert in LF near the foul line...best hit ball tonight by MSU...

CL gets SO #5....looking....nice slider

grounder to short....throw to first and AU out of the inning ...3 up and 3 down....

Ebert grounds out to 3rd on a very good throw...for out #1

Robert out on strikes

Logan...grounds out for out #3

Both pitchers seem to be in control at this point....cold night, very small crowd...not much energy out there now. CL just needs to keep throwing strikes.

3 up and 3 down in the bottom of the 5th...Lipscomb retired the last 7 MSU batters. giving up 2 hits tonight

AU goes to the 6th leading 5-0...

First two AU batters quickly go down.

MSU pitcher has retired about 10 in row now....AU looks like they are just trying to use up the innings without giving up any more runs...as noted earlier...not much energy or chatter by either team.

Going to bottom of 6th...AU leading 5-0

It's a good thing AU got a nice lead early because MSU has stopped the bleeding. CL has been solid for AU tonight and that's good to have on a Friday night.

And as I type....MSU gets s base runner.

MSU starts the bottom of the 6th with a single to right....

next batter pops to 2nd...runner holds.

Another K for CL...2 outs with runner on first.

Runner steals second....common occurrence this season against our pitching.

Runner in scoring position for the first time tonight.

Ball popped down the left field line to Ebert...runner stranded at 2nd.

AU up 5-0 going to 7th

Gilliken opens the 7th with a single....been awhile since we had anyone on base

AU has 5 hits at this point. MSU has 3hits......pitchers pretty much in control. The 2 MSU errors hurt them badly...whereas AU's defense has been perfect so far. AU only 3 LOBs at this point.

Grier bunts Gilliken to 2nd...would be nice to get another run....

Well...that's it...runner stranded at 2nd..going to bottom of 7th....Lipscomb still pitching a shutout.

Lipscomb just tossing that slider...perfect control lately and MSU not doing anything with him...3 hits and only one of them was hit hard.

MSU gets a double...first extra base hit...in scoring position with 2 outs.

Next batter pops to short center and that's it for the 7th

AU coming to bat in the 8th with the 5-0 lead.

Boy that was no fun...Logan fouled consecutive pitches off his left ankle/foot...limping around and belatedly decides to wear the protective guard. ..now hits a little flare to the 3rd baseman and Gray goes down swinging and we are off to the bottom of the 8th.

Lipscomb done for the night..Wengener (SP) comes in with a 5 run lead...just needs to throw strikes. Great job by Cole Lipscomb on the road.

Dang...he walked the first batter on 5 pitches....hate to see that

Strike out swinging and runner going down is called out by batter interference with catcher's throw...runner is called out as in "caught stealing" ...no argument by the MSU coach.

OK...out #3....and we go to the final (we hope) inning.

Archived