Softball vs. Tennessee - game 1

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

rhodes grounds to 3rd..throw to 2nd to get the lead runner. runner at 1st for Estell. Rhodes was just called out. Apparently she either left early or missed a base somehow or left 1st early.. not really sure. Not expecting an explanation from this broadcast crew. They likely have no way to get a definitive answer being up in the press box.

time wasn't called...Rhodes came back to the bag at 1st and touched it then advanced to 2nd and was immediately called out. I believe if she hadn't retouched 1st she would have been ok. Someone with better rule knowledge of softball will have to chime in on that one. I'll try to look it up later.

STRIKE OUT.. FINAL... Auburn defeats Tennessee 6-2. War EAgle... Game 2 tomorrow night at 6...:)

War Eagle....another game in the win column

Base running errors are going to take us out of this inning just like the 1st. Bases loaded double plays with runners caught off base on fly ball and line drive. UGH!!

neither were the fault of the base runners just unfortunate circumstances. On the first one if the center fielders drops the ball cooper is likely out at 2nd anyway. I realize it would have been 1 out and not 2 but just a no win situation there really for Cooper The 2nd one was just a hard line drive that happens. We've had our share of those on defense too.

Runners are supposed to make sure a line drive gets through the infield before they break. Cooper guessed the call wrong. She actually stopped half way and then thought the ball hit the ground and took off for 2nd instead of going back to 1st. But, you are right they were unfortunate circumstances but still base running errors.

time wasn't called...Rhodes came back to the bag at 1st and touched it then advanced to 2nd and was immediately called out. I believe if she hadn't retouched 1st she would have been ok. Someone with better rule knowledge of softball will have to chime in on that one. I'll try to look it up later.

The umpire blew the call. If time had been called, she would have been sent back to 1st. She never retouched 1st base after running through on the fielder's choice. The ball was live. That was a play we used when I coached if we thought we had a pitcher and infield that weren't paying attention.

Yep, blown call by 1st base ump.

Btw, are the announcers really that crappy. The guy simply would not shut up. The girl had some intelligent things to say from time to time but couldn't because the dude never stopped.

My favorite was "Walters gets her first strikeout of the evening" ... Well since it was the first batter she faced ...

Nice win, great atmosphere. The next two games should be fun.

The umpire blew the call. If time had been called, she would have been sent back to 1st. She never retouched 1st base after running through on the fielder's choice. The ball was live. That was a play we used when I coached if we thought we had a pitcher and infield that weren't paying attention.

Yep...and in this case neither umpire was paying attention to Rhodes after she crossed first base....and could not help each other out. The 2nd base ump made a very tentative safe sign when Rhodes got to the base but was looking at first pretty quickly wondering what happened and the first base ump was about as tentative in making the call....just assumed Rhodes had come back to the base. No ump paying attention to the play and no replay for them to check it out.

That stuff happens...got the win anyway and Walters finished up strong. She has been a very important addition to the team this year.

Base running errors are going to take us out of this inning just like the 1st. Bases loaded double plays with runners caught off base on fly ball and line drive. UGH!!

neither were the fault of the base runners just unfortunate circumstances. On the first one if the center fielders drops the ball cooper is likely out at 2nd anyway. I realize it would have been 1 out and not 2 but just a no win situation there really for Cooper The 2nd one was just a hard line drive that happens. We've had our share of those on defense too.

Runners are supposed to make sure a line drive gets through the infield before they break. Cooper guessed the call wrong. She actually stopped half way and then thought the ball hit the ground and took off for 2nd instead of going back to 1st. But, you are right they were unfortunate circumstances but still base running errors.

I would agree if it were a line drive. It wasn't. It was a fly ball in shallow center.

Yes she did retouch first. It was very clear on the replay that after she overran the bag at 1st, she went to the base, then broke for second. The only angle we had of the play was the camera behind home plate and it looked abundantly clear to me that she touched the base again. I have no idea if re-touching the base before breaking for 2nd is what got her called out or not. I'm trying to find it in the rule book, but not having any luck.

I would agree if it were a line drive. It wasn't. It was a fly ball in shallow center.

I was referring to Estell's line drive to SS that caught Malero off 3rd. And then referring to the short fly to CF.

I was referring to Estell's line drive to SS that caught Malero off 3rd. And then referring to the short fly to CF.

Yeah that was definitely a case of just getting caught in the moment and not letting the ball get through the infield.

Yes she did retouch first. It was very clear on the replay that after she overran the bag at 1st, she went to the base, then broke for second. The only angle we had of the play was the camera behind home plate and it looked abundantly clear to me that she touched the base again. I have no idea if re-touching the base before breaking for 2nd is what got her called out or not. I'm trying to find it in the rule book, but not having any luck.

Wrong, my friend. She never retouched 1st Base. You need to watch the replay again. She is clearly behind the bag when she breaks for 2nd. I tried to post the screen shot but it wouldn't let me for some reason.

Archived