Some stupid stuff with welfare and Kansas

Texan4Auburn

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/kansas-bans-poor-people-from-spending-welfare-on-cruise-ships/ar-AAaqT94

The bill also prohibits welfare recipients from spending their benefits at certain types of businesses, including liquor stores, fortune tellers, swimming pools and cruise ships.

This is why cash shouldn't be allowed for one. Then if people are hitting up the atm's in liquor stores, fortune tellers and cruise ships why were they not looked into for fraud. Pools I can see, many public pools are pretty cheap places to go.

Then in Missouri

Missouri Republicans, for instance, are considering a bill to forbid food stamps from being spent on steak or seafood.

This is dumb also. While I would agree they shouldn't be buying 20 dollar porterhouse or lobster tails, you can buy packages of tilapia, cod, catfish, and salmon that provide many meals. Especially if you can use EBT at a Sam's (no clue if you can or not). I go to Winn Dixie and buy some sirloin cuts for between 4- 6 bucks and make stir fry or fajitas with those that provide multiple meals. A 85% lean ground beef is going to cost you that much. I would much rather those with legitimate need for assistance buy fish than soda's, chips, cookies etc that lead to a healthier diet and potentially lower costs in medically care.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

a lot of people that are poor lack budgeting skills or just common sense with money. they will spend money on wants and not needs. even with ebt cards they spend the money on expensive foods and then run short of food at months end.

giving money to the poor without restrictions has always caused problems. even with checks on how they spend the money or items they have been given, there are still problems.

i knew a school teacher who taught elementary school in a rural area. some of her students lacked decent shoes so she gave them shoes. one child wore the shoes at school but left them there. when asked why he did not wear the shoes home he said his father would sell the shoes for money to buy whisky.

http://www.msn.com/e...hips/ar-AAaqT94

The bill also prohibits welfare recipients from spending their benefits at certain types of businesses, including liquor stores, fortune tellers, swimming pools and cruise ships.

This is why cash shouldn't be allowed for one. Then if people are hitting up the atm's in liquor stores, fortune tellers and cruise ships why were they not looked into for fraud. Pools I can see, many public pools are pretty cheap places to go.

Then in Missouri

Missouri Republicans, for instance, are considering a bill to forbid food stamps from being spent on steak or seafood.

This is dumb also. While I would agree they shouldn't be buying 20 dollar porterhouse or lobster tails, you can buy packages of tilapia, cod, catfish, and salmon that provide many meals. Especially if you can use EBT at a Sam's (no clue if you can or not). I go to Winn Dixie and buy some sirloin cuts for between 4- 6 bucks and make stir fry or fajitas with those that provide multiple meals. A 85% lean ground beef is going to cost you that much. I would much rather those with legitimate need for assistance buy fish than soda's, chips, cookies etc that lead to a healthier diet and potentially lower costs in medically care.

This for sure, if you are going to eliminate anything, then eliminate Mtn Dew and all that other crap.

a lot of people that are poor lack budgeting skills or just common sense with money. they will spend money on wants and not needs. even with ebt cards they spend the money on expensive foods and then run short of food at months end.

giving money to the poor without restrictions has always caused problems. even with checks on how they spend the money or items they have been given, there are still problems.

i knew a school teacher who taught elementary school in a rural area. some of her students lacked decent shoes so she gave them shoes. one child wore the shoes at school but left them there. when asked why he did not wear the shoes home he said his father would sell the shoes for money to buy whisky.

My experience when working where EBT was accepted was different. They didn't buy the more expensive foods at all. They bought mostly junk and mostly processed premade stuff. Which is actually more of a reflection of the American diet. It was a rare occasion when you saw someone with a basket of just like chicken breasts, veggies, eggs, milk, fruit.

Of course there are those that will do what they can to get something other than food. Why if I see a beggar with children I will never give them money, I will buy food and give it to them though. Learn who wants what really quick by the look on their face when you drop some Subway's on them vs cash.

My experience when working where EBT was accepted was different. They didn't buy the more expensive foods at all. They bought mostly junk and mostly processed premade stuff. Which is actually more of a reflection of the American diet. It was a rare occasion when you saw someone with a basket of just like chicken breasts, veggies, eggs, milk, fruit.

Of course there are those that will do what they can to get something other than food. Why if I see a beggar with children I will never give them money, I will buy food and give it to them though. Learn who wants what really quick by the look on their face when you drop some Subway's on them vs cash.

Junk food is expensive processed foods. Chips, candy, snacks, etc. if they bought staple ingredients that require preparation, then they have more food and it usually is better food. However as you say people prefer the junk and they want to minimize in preparation. If they go to the food banks that most cities have, they don't hand out junk food.

Different culture that still values food preparation? Also by village I assume they are going to rural areas where there is less fast food or junk food available. The article states that the cost of sending food was more that sending cash. Government is never more efficient. If stores existed that could have the food on hand for delivery it might be more efficient.

Junk food is expensive processed foods. Chips, candy, snacks, etc. if they bought staple ingredients that require preparation, then they have more food and it usually is better food. However as you say people prefer the junk and they want to minimize in preparation. If they go to the food banks that most cities have, they don't hand out junk food.

By more expensive foods I thought you meant things like high end steaks and lobster or fruits that are out of season.

I think the argument between processed and ingredients is debatable depending on the food type. I can't locate the US version I saw but I remembered reading this one from Britain.

What they found: in 2012, 1000 kcal of “healthy” food cost approximately $12, while 1000 kcal of unhealthy food cost only $4. And while the mean price of all foods rose 35 percent over that 10-year period, the researchers found that “the price of more healthy foods was consistently greater than that of less healthy foods over the period 2002–2012, and that the absolute price gap between healthy and less healthy foods has grown over this period.”

http://www.newsweek.com/healthy-food-more-expensive-unhealthy-food-study-276161

But I do agree with you on several items though. Like those Stouffers premade Lasagna's. They run like 13-14 dollars. People buy those cause they don't want to do the preparation. You could probably lower that price, or go over dependent upon you ingredients. Like using 85% vs 97% meat. 2% cheese vs whole cheese. Same with the riccota. Whole grain whole wheat noodles vs regular.

Or those precut chicken strips for fajitas that cost like 7 dollars. Think you get 6-8 OZ a bag. You can go to Sams and get a package of 7-8 skinless breasts with each one averaging about 12oz for about 12-13 dollars.

Junk food depends on sales and brands also. Win Dixie always has those Louisiana chips (cant think of the name) 3bags for 2 dollars, and other brands buy one get one free all the time. Then there is always raman noodles. 24 count of those for what 3 dollars? Lol probably get 1000 of those at Sams for 10 dollars.

Then in Missouri

i don't think they are buying the steak to make stir fry and fajitas. You can buy plenty of lower cost food that is healthy. I agree about the cookies and such.

Then in Missouri

i don't think they are buying the steak to make stir fry and fajitas. You can buy plenty of lower cost food that is healthy. I agree about the cookies and such.

yes and no. beans, potatoes can be healthy and less expensive if you limit meats. chicken is healthier than beef anyway. maccarroni, romen noodles, potted meat, bologna, hotdogs, anything made in a factory, can be very inexpensive but very unhealthy if it is too often consumed.

Then in Missouri

yes and no. beans, potatoes can be healthy and less expensive if you limit meats. chicken is healthier than beef anyway. maccarroni, romen noodles, potted meat, bologna, hotdogs, anything made in a factory, can be very inexpensive but very unhealthy if it is too often consumed.

I said lower cost. I didn't say cheap. Buy chicken and turkey and buy whole fresh vegetables. It's better and you can get more for less money.

Then in Missouri

Guess it is a good thing that I said I and not They then when using an example of how steak cuts are availble and not just 15 dollars strips or porterhouses.

Please enlighten us all on the cooking uses and habits of steak within the collective there Picard.

Then in Missouri

I said lower cost. I didn't say cheap. Buy chicken and turkey and buy whole fresh vegetables. It's better and you can get more for less money.

exactly which whole fresh vegetables?

Then in Missouri

Any whole fresh vegetables. Every grocer has a vegetable section where you can buy pretty much any kind of veggies you want.

Then in Missouri

Any whole fresh vegetables. Every grocer has a vegetable section where you can buy pretty much any kind of veggies you want.

right. and they are more expensive to buy and keep than frozen, canned or processed food.

Then in Missouri

right. and they are more expensive to buy and keep than frozen, canned or processed food.

Buy fresh in season. They will be cheaper. Check farmer markets also. Most people think they are more expensive, but I know that spot on Opelika Road across from Mandarin House has many fruits and veggies that are cheaper than grocery stores.

During off season you buy frozen. Just don't buy the frozen ones that have sauces added to them or the fruits that have added sugar. The frozen that have nothing added to them are just as good as the fresh.

Though for smoothies and yogurt I always keep a frozen 3lb bag of a blueberry, cherry, strawberry mix and a 3lb bag of pineapple, mango, peach, strawberry mix. Just make sure they don't add sugar. Both cost about 9-10 dollars at Sams.

Then in Missouri

Buy fresh in season. They will be cheaper. Check farmer markets also. Most people think they are more expensive, but I know that spot on Opelika Road across from Mandarin House has many fruits and veggies that are cheaper than grocery stores.

During off season you buy frozen. Just don't buy the frozen ones that have sauces added to them or the fruits that have added sugar. The frozen that have nothing added to them are just as good as the fresh.

Though for smoothies and yogurt I always keep a frozen 3lb bag of a blueberry, cherry, strawberry mix and a 3lb bag of pineapple, mango, peach, strawberry mix. Just make sure they don't add sugar. Both cost about 9-10 dollars at Sams.

that is why I said buy and keep. If you shop every day you can make it work. Stuff goes bad and that is money wasted. We do the same with smoothies buy fresh and before it's ruined freeze it. We eat a lot of fresh asparagus , zucchini, squash, cabbage. The asparagus is the only one that is expensive. But all of them are if you don't use it soon enough. Busy lives can't plan or stick to plans all week. People who live check to check can't chance to waste it.

Then in Missouri

that is why I said buy and keep. If you shop every day you can make it work. Stuff goes bad and that is money wasted. We do the same with smoothies buy fresh and before it's ruined freeze it. We eat a lot of fresh asparagus , zucchini, squash, cabbage. The asparagus is the only one that is expensive. But all of them are if you don't use it soon enough. Busy lives can't plan or stick to plans all week. People who live check to check can't chance to waste it.

Ah.. I see what you mean with buy and keep now. My bad.

I think that assistance should be given as a bridge to get you through until you find employment of some kind. I have no issue with my tax dollars helping those that fall on hard times as I know what that is like. But, I do have an issue with people who have no desire to work because it's easier to just sit around and get a check. There should be a requirement that you put forth effort.

I think that assistance should be given as a bridge to get you through until you find employment of some kind. I have no issue with my tax dollars helping those that fall on hard times as I know what that is like. But, I do have an issue with people who have no desire to work because it's easier to just sit around and get a check. There should be a requirement that you put forth effort.

agree. Just hard to differentiate between the two policy wise. Then the far right wing want to starve everyone.

Them damn lazy poor peoples done took all hour mony.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2015/04/07/new-gop-lie-food-stamps-on-cruise-ships.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+thedailybeast%2Farticles+%28The+Daily+Beast+-+Latest+Articles%29

Them libtards is all about given ever thing to the homos, the poor, and them ill legal imigrents. They hate Christians. They hate America.

I agree. Sadly we will now be called racists.......

I notice certain convenience stores and even grocery chains ( KROGER ) have decided to label more and more items with 'WIC accepted / approved '. I've also noticed that those store charge more for items I buy, so I've pretty much stopped frequenting any store which advertises WIC stuff. It's such a damn racket.

Does anyone honestly think that those on welfare need to be spending the people's money on tattoos and lap dances ?

Archived