Avery Johnson New Coach at Bama

Texan4Auburn

Where did this hire come from? Does he have any ties to Bama?

This one makes no sense.

No NBA team would hire him and he wants to coach. Their courting of Marshall was very high profile. They struck out and needed a "name". Avery was the best "name" they could get. It may be a great hire. It is just as likely that it will be a clustermess.

This one makes no sense.

No NBA team would hire him and he wants to coach. Their courting of Marshall was very high profile. They struck out and needed a "name". Avery was the best "name" they could get. It may be a great hire. It is just as likely that it will be a clustermess.

This is right. They struck out and needed a "name" to at least appear to try and keep up with us and others. It's a band aid at best.

This one makes no sense.

I don't think he does but that is the part I like. His son plays at A&M. I definately did not see this coming but only time will tell. I know the NBA game is different from college but he was coach of the year with the Mavs.

I think it can a good hire for them actually. I think the mess that is the Brooklyn Nets didn't do Johnson any favors. He knows offensive basketball, for sure. I don't think him not having any connections to Bama prior should mean anything. Bruce Pearl didn't have any connections to AU before he got hired outside of beating AU's bball teams. Only thing that could burn Johnson would be his ability, or inability, to recruit. His time as a coach up till this point was 100% basketball and now his role and responsibilities are different. I used to be a fan of the guy but I hope Pearl crushes Johnson like Tuberville did to Mike Shula.

Edit: I didn't mention he had a successful and high powered run with Dallas, although he didn't give Marquis Daniel as much playing time as he should have!!

Quisey >> Josh Howard! Lol throwback rant

His last winning team was about 7 years ago and after he got fired about a month into the season at Brooklyn, in 2012 he's been waiting for another chance in the NBA but apparently the phone never rung.

If this works out well for bama, Battle will look like a genius but mostly likely this is the only guy that Saban would approve after Marshall turned them down. Will keep Saban's position as the only coach of consequence on the UAT campus.

I think it can a good hire for them actually. I think the mess that is the Brooklyn Nets didn't do Johnson any favors. He knows offensive basketball, for sure. I don't think him not having any connections to Bama prior should mean anything. Bruce Pearl didn't have any connections to AU before he got hired outside of beating AU's bball teams. Only thing that could burn Johnson would be his ability, or inability, to recruit. His time as a coach up till this point was 100% basketball and now his role and responsibilities are different. I used to be a fan of the guy but I hope Pearl crushes Johnson like Tuberville did to Mike Shula.

Edit: I didn't mention he had a successful and high powered run with Dallas, although he didn't give Marquis Daniel as much playing time as he should have!!

Nelson built that Dallas team not Avery. Avery just tried to keep running it the way Nelson did except letting defense slip for offense. Avery couldn't get them back together in Game 3... you know when Wade suddenly became the most protected player in the league since Jordan...... and Dallas dropped 4 straight.

The very next year Dallas had the leagues best record, the MVP in Dirk, were the number one seed and go down 4-2 to the 8th seed Golden State...........coached by Don Nelson. Then the following year they went down in the first round again.

Pretty much it was like Switzer inheriting the Cowboys after Johnson had built them and their chemistry.

He may turn out good for Bama. Could happen. He is personable and likeable which could work in recruiting.

Nelson built that Dallas team not Avery. Avery just tried to keep running it the way Nelson did except letting defense slip for offense. Avery couldn't get them back together in Game 3... you know when Wade suddenly became the most protected player in the league since Jordan...... and Dallas dropped 4 straight.

The very next year Dallas had the leagues best record, the MVP in Dirk, were the number one seed and go down 4-2 to the 8th seed Golden State...........coached by Don Nelson. Then the following year they went down in the first round again.

Pretty much it was like Switzer inheriting the Cowboys after Johnson had built them and their chemistry.

He may turn out good for Bama. Could happen. He is personable and likeable which could work in recruiting.

Good point. I totally forgot that his team lost to Don Nelson when he was at Golden State. Johnson definitely rode the coattails of Nelson and took advantage of Cuban's willingness to buy the best tools available.

I'm pretty sure Dallas didn't play D with Nelson there either.

But yeah, I mean if he was that good NBA teams would've been calling. As I said I think he can either be good or just be a flop. The recruit's parents will be familiar with him from his playing days, and the kids have seen him on ESPN as an analyst, which is a plus for recruiting. Lets see if he has what it takes to be a good college coach, though, where he's responsible for the players' behavior, etc.

I'm pretty sure Dallas didn't play D with Nelson there either.

But yeah, I mean if he was that good NBA teams would've been calling. As I said I think he can either be good or just be a flop. The recruit's parents will be familiar with him from his playing days, and the kids have seen him on ESPN as an analyst, which is a plus for recruiting. Lets see if he has what it takes to be a good college coach, though, where he's responsible for the players' behavior, etc.

Bleh I wrote that wrong. You are right Nelson was the offensive guy, Johnson tried to shift it the other direction and it messed with the players and the Mav's style.

Anyone catch Stephen A Smiths comments today. Course he did his usual bit about black coaches not being treated fairly, but man he laid into Alabama and stated they were not the caliber of program that a guy like Johnson should go to. He also mentioned multiple times that Johnson is going to have to contend with Pearl and I got the impression that he doesn't think Johnson can do it due to Alabama. They laid into Alabama's football culture also.

Usually I don't pay attention to Smith cause of most of the time it is him hating on something. Was just surprised on his comments about Alabama.

He also mentioned that many of the NBA players found Johnsons personality to be a act and it got old for them, but he thinks it might work in college.

Anyone catch Stephen A Smiths comments today. Course he did his usual bit about black coaches not being treated fairly, but man he laid into Alabama and stated they were not the caliber of program that a guy like Johnson should go to. He also mentioned multiple times that Johnson is going to have to contend with Pearl and I got the impression that he doesn't think Johnson can do it due to Alabama. They laid into Alabama's football culture also.

Usually I don't pay attention to Smith cause of most of the time it is him hating on something. Was just surprised on his comments about Alabama.

He also mentioned that many of the NBA players found Johnsons personality to be a act and it got old for them, but he thinks it might work in college.

kind of like Saba was. His personality doesn't cut it with professional players. He has college players at his mercy plus he has them for 4 years max. That may also work to help Johnson.

Archived