Charleston police officer shoots man in back

cooltigger21

CCEP2l9WIAAd8ce.png

Man, that's a staggering statistic.

Not really. How many of those are legit? This country is extremely diverse and incorporates a lot of backgrounds.

I'd like to know a lot more. Stats alone don't tell much

• Replies 487
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Now comes the hard part- getting a conviction out of our typically spineless juries.

For once, the "I feered fur muh life" line didn't work. Where would we be if this wasn't on video?

I would generally agree with that assertion, perhaps there will be enough pressure in this case for the prosecutor to aggressively try it. While I have not seen any video depicting the entire incident, the shooting is at least quite clear and indefensible. The officer's attorney will definitely have a difficult task in coming up with a justification for shooting a man in the back repeatedly.

he was too tired to chase him? Temporary insanity? Anyway,congratulations to the cop haters on finding a legitimate case to pounce on. It is a clear murder. I would have condoned chasing him down and roughing him up, but shooting him several times in the back is murder.

Smh

Good grief, the source is listed right there on the graph. The entire internet is at your fingertips.

"The FBI counts over 400 “justifiable homicides” by American police officers every year. This number includes only those shot while committing a crime. Reporting such shootings is voluntary, so the true number is surely higher. Even undercounting, America easily outguns other rich countries: in the year to March 2013 police in England and Wales fired weapons three times and killed no one.

Such comparisons should be read in context. America’s police operate in a country with 300m guns and a murder rate six times Germany’s. In recent years the New York Police Department (NYPD) was called to an annual average of almost 200,000 incidents involving weapons, shot 28 people and saw six of its officers shot (mostly non-fatally). Despite the headlines, it is one of America’s more restrained forces.

The more trigger-happy police departments tend to be found in smaller cities where fewer journalists live. Peter Moskos of John Jay College has come up with a measure to identify them, which checks the number of police shootings against the number of murders in a city. The places that stand out as having a lot of police shootings relative to the number of murders are Riverside, San Diego and Sacramento in California; and Tucson and Phoenix in Arizona.

In general, smaller police forces are less likely to have proper oversight. (This matters: half of America’s 12,500 local police forces have ten or fewer officers.) Larger jurisdictions can employ people whose job is to prosecute policemen. In Brooklyn (population 2.5m), the current district attorney made his name prosecuting an officer for sodomising a handcuffed Haitian immigrant with a broomstick in the lavatory of a police station. In a small town policemen are investigated by people they work with all the time. “The prosecutor is the guy who went to your kid’s confirmation,” says Mr Moskos. In the whole country, fewer than six officers were charged with murder or manslaughter each year, on average, between 2005 and 2011, according to Philip Stinson of Bowling Green State University. http://www.economist.com/news/united-states/21636044-americas-police-kill-too-many-people-some-forces-are-showing-how-smarter-less

CCEP2l9WIAAd8ce.png

do those countries have the "2nd amendment " to contend with? I don't think cops carry guns in Japan.

They do have screwdrivers, knives, bats, and such to contend with, and it doesn't seem to matter much in the US what weapon the victim is carrying, or even whether he has a weapon at all, for that matter. We have a problem in this country that desperately needs to be addressed.

CCEP2l9WIAAd8ce.png

Brit cops don't carry, do they? And France ... Sure could have used some armed cops before Muslims shot one dead in cold blood.

CCEP2l9WIAAd8ce.png

do those countries have the "2nd amendment " to contend with? I don't think cops carry guns in Japan.

They do have screwdrivers, knives, bats, and such to contend with, and it doesn't seem to matter much in the US what weapon the victim is carrying, or even whether he has a weapon at all, for that matter. We have a problem in this country that desperately needs to be addressed.

Do we? We don't have enough background information to know what the true story is. No necessarily disagreeing but it's not cut and dried. All we ever hear are the controversial ones or like this where the cop was clearly out of line.

CCEP2l9WIAAd8ce.png

Brit cops don't carry, do they? And France ... Sure could have used some armed cops before Muslims shot one dead in cold blood.

So what do we need when the police do the same? As far as your Muslim comment

Cole - do the same ? There is no " same " with regards to what happened in Paris at Charlie Hebdo.

Cop here is charged with murder. Not manslaughter. Not self defense. But murder. Based on the evidence.

What more would you want ?

The sad part is that the cop hand cuffed him while he was face down and bleeding out.

I could only go on what you offered in your post which said a Muslim shot one dead in cold blood. That was the same I was talking about

The sad part is that the cop hand cuffed him while he was face down and bleeding out.

Cop had already made the choice to lie. That was just the follow through.

Sad thing is, I don't know who'd want to take that job now.

I could only go on what you offered in your post which said a Muslim shot one dead in cold blood. That was the same I was talking about

If you missed the Charlie Hebdo reference , ... Idk. Now you know what I meant.

CCEP2l9WIAAd8ce.png

CCEP2l9WIAAd8ce.png

the Brits don't carry firearms. a few swat types do.

the Germans and Japanese do carry.

they also do not have the crime problems we do. however that is changing in Britain and germany due to immigration.

In the message I responded to there was no Charlie Hebdo reference so now you know as well

Comparing smaller nations with entirely different demographics / cultures is misleading & potentially deceptive .

In the message I responded to there was no Charlie Hebdo reference so now you know as well

Try & keep up then.

Muslims shooting cops on France ought to have been clear enough.

Cop had already made the choice to lie. That was just the follow through.

Sad thing is, I don't know who'd want to take that job now.

True, assuming no video, the cop would've looked better by society if he was seen trying to stop the bleeding, perform cpr, etc. I can understand cops having to kill criminals under self defense, but if you do, at least give the man some dignity while he is dying. This man wasn't attacked and he was fine to let Walter Scott bleed out, face down, handcuffed. Total POS

The sad fact is, this thread would have taken a much different path had there been no video...

So true

The sad fact is, this thread would have taken a much different path had there been no video...

So true

Would it? He shot the guy in the back. There is no way you can justify that video or not.

So true

Why is it sad? More evidence gives a clearer picture of what happened ?

What's really got USn sad is that all here agree that this cop is properly charged with murder.

Really bums ya out, huh ??

If all cops were wearing body cams, I doubt this happens. I just can't understand, in this age of technology, how this can't be a mandate. It is ridiculous.

May God bless the family of Walter Scott.

Amen

Archived