Small Example of My Concern With Religious Freedom

Texan4Auburn

So Orthadox Jewish men do not want to sit next to women that are not their wives due to religion. Which is a issue on a airplane.

So instead of getting on the airplane, making a fuss,delaying departure and making others move to accommodate the religion the individuals should take some responsibility themselves. If the seat has assigned seats then make the issue known when purchasing the ticket. If it doesn't then arrive early to be one of the first to board the plane so you can choose your seat first. Then accept that there are women that are going to be pissed cause they are asked to move cause their gender doesn't mesh with your religion.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/04/10/us/aboard-flights-conflicts-over-seat-assignments-and-religion.html

Still asking others to conform to your religious beliefs when they shouldn't have to, in a normal situation where one should know that the potential of being near women is a real possibility. Plus women will still get mad knowing the individual has a issue sitting next to them due to their gender regardless of who is asked to move.

Like the one lady. Her husband has issues with flying, they know that, thus they make sure he gets a aisle seat. Still he was expected to accommodate by changing seats.

People just need to learn that there are two sides to religious freedom.

I am not trying to argue with you on the topic. I have been asked to move from my aisle seat to accommodate folks on a 12+ hour flight not by the staff but by another passenger and turned them down because I was sitting in the aisle seat and they wanted me to trade into their middle seat in another row. I didn't because I need to move around on long flights like that and I choose my seats early when I can to get an aisle or window. I agree that if their beliefs can be easily accommodated then fine but if not then it is their problem and not all others.

So Orthadox Jewish men do not want to sit next to women that are not their wives due to religion. Which is a issue on a airplane.

So instead of getting on the airplane, making a fuss,delaying departure and making others move to accommodate the religion the individuals should take some responsibility themselves. If the seat has assigned seats then make the issue known when purchasing the ticket. If it doesn't then arrive early to be one of the first to board the plane so you can choose your seat first. Then accept that there are women that are going to be pissed cause they are asked to move cause their gender doesn't mesh with your religion.

http://www.nytimes.c...d-religion.html

I would agree...let it be known at the time of purchase that you have this requirement. It's not really any different from requesting a vegetarian meal for religious reasons. If you don't tell them up front, they can try to accommodate you but might not be able to.

Thank you to both of you for seeing and agreeing that it is a two way street. I'd buy both of you a shot if you drank, or a non alch beverage of your choice, and War Damn.

Thank you to both of you for seeing and agreeing that it is a two way street. I'd buy both of you a shot if you drank, or a non alch beverage of your choice, and War Damn.

I'll take their shots if they don't.

I'll take their shots if they don't.

:hellyeah: On the original post, I think this situation is not one where you can really claim religious freedom to make such a demand.

It's a valid post, Texas. I for one think that the principals of religious freedom has been distorted at times over the last few years. The founders wanted people to be protected from government in their homes and their congregations. They also wanted government protected from religion which is why we have the separations in the COTUS. I think we are in a period of hyper activism, and the courts are now in the position to decide what is or isn't religious freedom.

Archived