Baseball at LSU - game 1

Auburn out hitting LSU 8-5 thus far.

Yep. But Bregman and the LSU defense has been up to the task. Poche had a rare mediocre outing and AU did not take advantage.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yea, 1 and a half seasons is way too early for me to become a proponent of a coach being replaced, but I'll bite. I thought it was evident early in the season that the team had improved and was headed the right direction regardless of the final record. However, the mistakes are still there, becoming more evident and more consequential as the season continues and there hasn't really been inspired play from this team all season. Talent is deficient as it's always been for us in this conference the past way too many years and the gap between us and the top of the SEC is growing. Sunny deserves a third year, but if it's repeat of years one and two, go get a discount and finally go hire Casey Dunn, even if I've been in favor of a "big name" hire the times most people have favored Casey. I'm coming around to the thought. Sunny didn't endear himself to people last year, and hasnt put forth anything on the field to make up for that. You can be a jerk, I have no problem with not caudling players and not taking division within your team on how you want to do things, but you better have the results to back up your ego.

Wow, reading back through this I have made many snap judgments and over reactions in my CSG critique, but I don't care because that was really cathartic no matter how much of an overreaction it might have been haha :D

The team does not buy into Sunny. That's why we see no inspired play. I'm pretty sure it's hard for him to recover from his disastrous entry as a coach. The team has self confidence issues and it started then with the way he handled things.

He has a ways to go before he gets that behind him. He also needs to figure out the SEC. I'm not sure he gets it yet due to some of the decisions he makes.

Auburn continues to lose very winnable games and the team looks unhappy most of the time.

Players got to make plays. Not defending Sunny, but that's no excuse. You either want to be good or not. Relying on your coach for motivation is just a cop out. Sure, I'm pissed about AU Baseball and I'm not sure Sunny is the guy, but players have to want to play and go out there and give it their best. Disgusting program.

Well emt....that all starts with confidence. This team does not have it.

Sometimes you have to look in the mirror and tell yourself that you can be the difference no matter the environment.

We just lost an away game to what many could argue to be the best team in the nation, and we made them look pretty silly at the plate. 3 runs, 2 of them unearned. A positive can definitely be taken from this. I know no one is still searching for moral victories but just trying to shed a little light on the situation- we've got two more to get over the hump and steal at least one in Baton Rouge. Hopefully Keegan can pitch a gem tomorrow.

Even great teams have errors and wild pitches. It happens. And AU has improved the number of errors overall. But the buck still stops with the coach. He is not doing enough to prepare his team. And he is making coaching mistakes on top of all that. I'm not sure where he's headed with some of it. AU is close to being good but he just hasn't tied it all together. After next season if things aren't any better then he should be out the door.

We just lost an away game to what many could argue to be the best team in the nation, and we made them look pretty silly at the plate. 3 runs, 2 of them unearned. A positive can definitely be taken from this. I know no one is still searching for moral victories but just trying to shed a little light on the situation- we've got two more to get over the hump and steal at least one in Baton Rouge. Hopefully Keegan can pitch a gem tomorrow.

I can see your point....Cole Lipscomb for one for sure. I mentioned it earlier. He had a very good night. Auburn didn't get blown out.

I don't have much hope for tomorrow if Lange is pitching in Game # 2. It could be a pitchers duel and hits could be hard to come by. Auburn is not exactly bringing in the runs with anybody right now.

I think most of us were expecting a sweep. One win would have to be considered a very good weekend. Don't see it happening. Wish there was something about this team that could give us hope.

Well I have to say that I still support these hard working kids on the team. It's very difficult to play sports and attend classes at this level. I know they are disappointed in the way things are going also. There's always hope that things will turn around.

Well emt....that all starts with confidence. This team does not have it. That starts at the top. Just look at the softball team.

I think you are comparing grapes and grapefruit....the softball team was loaded with talent when Meyers arrived and look at the number of stars that he inherited....his is a team of mostly experienced players with national recognition.... whereas baseball team might have one all-SEC player ..on the squad. The difference in talent is night and day between baseball and softball.

Not making any judgements about the baseball team and their motivation but it's unfair IMO to compare the results of the two coaches.

I think it's unfair to judge the baseball team on talent considering their opportunity for development has been limited. Nothing was done for them last season. They have been distracted by all the upheaval and it was damaging. The softball team did not go through anything like that thankfully.

I do think they're better than what we're seeing. And sometimes teams can be inspired to play above their talent level.More than anything this team lacks something in the mental part of the game.

Look at what Bruce Pearl did with his team. Limited talent but the belief that they could play with anybody and compete. Different sport...I know.... but the coaching concept is the same.

I think it's unfair to judge the baseball team on talent considering their opportunity for development has been limited. Nothing was done for them last season. They have been distracted by all the upheaval and it was damaging. The softball team did not go through anything like that thankfully.

I do think they're better than what we're seeing. And sometimes teams can be inspired to play above their talent level.More than anything this team lacks something in the mental part of the game.

Look at what Bruce Pearl did with his team. Limited talent but the belief that they could play with anybody and compete. Different sport...I know.... but the coaching concept is the same.

Uh, what was our record?

Uh, what was our record?

There's way more to a team and program than the record. If that's all you can come back with then you clearly don't follow Auburn sports at all and its not worth anybody's time here to tell you the impact that Bruce Pearl has had in 1 year at Auburn.

Uh, what was our record?

There's way more to a team and program than the record. If that's all you can come back with then you clearly don't follow Auburn sports at all and its not worth anybody's time here to tell you the impact that Bruce Pearl has had in 1 year at Auburn.

Whatever dude. First, I wasn't talking to you. I was speaking to Miss I hate CSG. Secondly, by percentage, CBP had better talent than does CSG. If you followed AU sports you'd know that fact. Final points, I hate seeing the CSG bashing. Like CBP, CSG is a proven commodity. Lighten up a bit and let him do his job. More than any other D1 major sport, baseball demands superior talent. CSG does not have that at this point. Given that fact, I think he's doing quite well.

I don't hate CSG. He may be successful at AU. I certainly hope he is. But he did not handle himself well and it is not just my opinion. AU had to  have someone come in and soothe the troubled waters. That's public knowledge. It doesn't take a genius to know that things like that are hard on a team.

I was troubled by that because I know a couple of the players and their parents.

It's all been a distraction but things will maybe get better as time goes by and his recruits come in.

I was speaking to Miss I hate CSG.

Pretty sure she considers herself Miss Auburn athletics.

Let me lob one more obvious thing into the mix; D1 level baseball players, and more particularly their parents, are among the biggest prima donnas on the planet. Travel ball has seen to that. When the culture of the program is ridiculously inconsistent and specifically soft on the chosen, a radical shift to the other end of the spectrum is really going to piss off the mommas and daddies that paid more for travel ball and private lessons than they are re-couping in scholarship money. Not to mention the fact that old Sunny is wasting their prodigy's obvious first round talent. There may be no crying in baseball, but there's an unbelievable amount of whining.

One last, not so obvious item. I notice that miss IHCSG is "friends" with NightRanger. Begs the question, what's ex-CJP up to? Still teaching 'em how to throw 90 in San Diego?

Archived