CClLw8iWYAA1az5.jpg

via @AUGoldMine

Stephen Roberts ...

CClL0I7WEAA6Mal.jpg

via @AUGoldMine

Duke Williams ...

11082511_656080817829186_2634269531236667863_n.jpg

via @FootballAU

Auburn receiver Tony Stevens was on a scooter with his left lower leg in a boot at practice.

@bmarcello

CClNb72WMAArp1s.jpg

via @bmarcello

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tre' Williams and Deshaun Davis were working side-by-side at linebacker. Williams was in the middle, flanked by Davis and Derrick Moncrief during 7-on-7 action. Stephen Roberts and Joshua Holsey were the cornerbacks, with Tray Matthews and Rudy Ford at safety.
Nick Ruffin was second-team safety. Tim Irvin was working the nickel. Holsey and Irvin were in orange non-contact jerseys.
Receiver Tony Stevens wasn't practicing. AuburnUndercover reported on Saturday that Stevens left Saturday's scrimmage limping and did not return.
Gimel President lined up as an edge rusher and even lined up as the middle linebacker blitzing, with Williams moving outside in the same formation.
Shon Coleman, Devonte Danzey/Alex Kozan, Austin Golson, Braden Smith and Avery Young made up the first-team offensive line. Robert Leff, Tyler Carr, Xavier Dampeer, Jordan Diamond and Bailey Sharp made up the second-team offensive line.
JaViere Mitchell, Peyton Barber, Jonathan Wallace, Ruffin and Roberts were along the front line of the kickoff return unit. Stanton Truitt is still in an orange non-contact jersey.
The kickoff coverage unit featured Moncrief, Barber, Tre' Williams, Mitchell, Ford, Ruffin, Cassanova McKinzy, Holsey and Roc Thomas. The next coverage unit featured Matthews, Davis, Chandler Cox, Jovon Robinson, Kamryn Pettway, Ricardo Louis, Markell Boston, Kenny Flowers and Gray King.
Returning punts were Jason Smith, Marcus Davis and Roberts.
Cameron Toney wasn't practicing. He is still sitting out due to a concussion.

http://auburn.247spo...Day-12-36787378 (free content)

Coach Gus Malzahn's post-practice presser ...

Malzahn: "very pleased today. I felt like overall our guys had great energy." Says Thursday will be similar to today.

Malzahn: 12 minute quarters in first half, could be running in second half, no live special teams. No decision on teams yet

Malzahn says plan is to play on A-Day regardless of conditions. If current forecast holds I'm not sure what contingencies are.

@JamesCrepea

Malzahn said he challenged the team at the beginning of practice to make sure their level didn't drop in the final week of spring

Malzahn said that receiver Tony Stevens is "probably doubtful" for Saturday. He was on a scooter at today's practice w/a protective boot.

@wareagleextra

Malzahn says Auburn will split up the roster for A-Day on Thursday.

@JoelAEricksonAU

Gonna allow the defense to blitz on A-Day? CGM: "Oh yeah."

Weather looks bad Saturday, but Gus Malzahn doesn't care: "We're gonna play football. Put the ball down, have fun."

@bmarcello

Auburn's Gus Malzahn: "It has been a very physical spring, and we wanted it to be physical. Feel very good about where we're at."

@AUGoldMine

Shon Coleman ...

Auburn's Shon Coleman on Cam Newton visiting practice: "You're looking at greatness. He's a guy who set an example for everybody out here."

@AUGoldMine

Coleman says he has to improve his footwork. Cites Texas A&M and Georgia as games he played poorly.

@JamesCrepea

Coleman says he'd like to stay at Auburn as long as he can

Coleman: it's great having Alex Kozan back. He's a competitor

Coleman says the OL group is like a democracy: no single leader, but lots of veterans speaking up

@AUBlog

Coleman calls it a “blessing” where he is now and where he was five years ago battling cancer

@JHokanson

Melvin Ray ...

Melvin Ray has been working as an outside receiver and some in the slot. Said he's just working to prove he can be consistent out there

@AUBlog

Maurice Swain ...

Maurice Swain on deck now. Said things are coming along well and that the defensive front can be "one of the best in the nation"

Swain: There's no down days with Coach Muschamp

Swain on possibly playing in the rain Saturday: I love the rain. Said most football players do

@AUBlog

Maurice Swain said coming to Auburn from JUCO was like going "from a pond to an ocean." Good comparison.

Swain can't wait for Saturday. "I've been dreaming of this for a long time."

@wareagleextra

What was Cam eating in that last pic? Is it an uncrustable?

Yep. I know because my wife loves them, which drives me crazy. They're just overpriced pb&j sammiches.

Yep. I know because my wife loves them, which drives me crazy. They're just overpriced pb&j sammiches.

I hope Cam can afford them

4957dfc5.jpg

Glad to see Kozan back out there.

ABSOLUTELY...really missed him last season.

Gimmel President working some middle linebacker? Interesting...very interesting.

The worry wart Canuck equates rain with pulled hamstrings. Just get out of A Day without any more injuries, guys. I hope Gus lets Jason Smith have a snap or 2 against the first team D.

I hope Cam can afford them

Hey, if you got it, flaunt it.

Gimmel President working some middle linebacker? Interesting...very interesting.

And Tre Williams too based on what that one report said - granted it looked a little like a 2nd string linebacker lineup but the secondary looked like all starters so who knows? Interesting that Williams moved inside and Davis moved outside since they are basically suited for the opposite positions. May be Muschamp and Thompson mixing it up so they can cross-train at the different spots, but I wouldn't be surprised if this is to send a message to Frost and McKinzy. Based on what WDEWDE said in a post a while back, Muschamp wasn't all that impressed with either of them at the beginning of Spring.

What kind of tooth paste and tooth brush did he use after eating it?

And Tre Williams too based on what that one report said - granted it looked a little like a 2nd string linebacker lineup but the secondary looked like all starters so who knows? Interesting that Williams moved inside and Davis moved outside since they are basically suited for the opposite positions. May be Muschamp and Thompson mixing it up so they can cross-train at the different spots, but I wouldn't be surprised if this is to send a message to Frost and McKinzy. Based on what WDEWDE said in a post a while back, Muschamp wasn't all that impressed with either of them at the beginning of Spring.

Cass has work ethic issues and KF isn't fully utilizing his abilities like we all know he can. Muschamp has been really disappointed.

Cass has work ethic issues and KF isn't fully utilizing his abilities like we all know he can. Muschamp has been really disappointed.

where are you getting this info from?

where are you getting this info from?

PM me

that really stinks. Especially since they came back for this. We need them to play well next year if we are going to make a run.

that really stinks. Especially since they came back for this. We need them to play well next year if we are going to make a run.

To follow up on that:

http://www.al.com/au...rns_cassan.html

Every one of Cassanova McKinzy's offseasons at Auburn have been defined by change.

First he had to pick up Brian VanGorder's scheme as a freshman. Then Ellis Johnsonasked McKinzy to move from the middle to the weak side in a new scheme in 2013, only to move him back to the middle again last season.

Now it's Will Muschamp's scheme, and McKinzy's responsibilities in the middle are once again changing.

"I feel like I'm at a learning stage right now," McKinzy said. "When I get everything and adapt to it -- I'm trying to take constructive criticism and do the things the coaches want me to do -- but I think I'm having a pretty productive spring."

He's learning both inside linebacker positions in Muschamp's scheme.

Muschamp likes his linebackers to be able to handle both the middle and the weak side.

"It's really interchangeable, to be honest," linemate Kris Frost said. "I can go out and play Mike just as well as Cass can go out and play Will. "

The key to this transition will be his ability to drop into pass coverage. McKinzy's always been at his best coming forward; he's been replaced as Auburn's Dime linebacker when the Tigers go to six defensive backs in each of the past two seasons.

Muschamp, who challenged his linebackers early in camp by praising all four -- McKinzy, Frost, wants McKinzy to be more than just a run stopper.

"He's trying to make me cover and be more vocal, which I don't mind," McKinzy said. "I don't mind showing a lot more things that I can do -- (whether it's) stopping the run or playing the box."

Once McKinzy finds his comfort level, he usually rises to the top of the depth chart.

McKinzy has made 29 starts over the past three seasons, and no Tiger has made more tackles than the past two years than McKinzy's 166 or more tackles-for-loss than his 19.

Archived