Former trooper: don't run from police

cooltigger21

Orrin "Checkmate" Hudson, a Birmingham native and Alabama state trooper from 1986 to 1993 wrote an open letter telling blacks to not run away from police http://www.al.com/news/index.ssf/2015/04/former_alabama_trooper_to_blac.html#incart_most-commented_alabamafootball_article

Great advice. Glad he is a black guy or we would need ear muffs to stifle the racist screams.

Amen

I don't think anyone has advocated that running from police is a wise move. I'm a white guy and I wouldn't run or be disrespectful to a police officer. On the other hand, even if someone runs it does not give cops carte blanche to use excessive force or shoot at them. It gives them the right to chase and apprehend the suspect and use force sufficient to bringing them under control (i.e. putting them in handcuffs) and nothing more. We rightly expect police officers to not just be average, but to have better judgment and restraint than the average person.

Great advice. Glad he is a black guy or we would need ear muffs to stifle the racist screams.

....and Amen.

Titan...I think he would agree but what I read is him just saying don't take chances. Settle thing later and don't risk your life for anyone's mistake.

Unfortunately Titan if you read comments involving incidents there is a large number of people that advocate running from the police to avoid being killed or beaten. Some comments are just silly trolls of course, then some are dead serious. In the Houston incident I was amazed how many people actually justified running.

I wouldn't justify it. But I do understand the feeling of some that you're "damned if you do, damned if you don't." Guys get beaten senseless and crippled or shot even when they haven't resisted arrest. They (wrongly) figure their chances aren't any worse and they might get away.

Amen

Yeah ... Thanks for those racist comments ... :slap:

j/k ;)

I wouldn't justify it. But I do understand the feeling of some that you're "damned if you do, damned if you don't." Guys get beaten senseless and crippled or shot even when they haven't resisted arrest. They (wrongly) figure their chances aren't any worse and they might get away.

I would add that they also very likely have little faith in the criminal justice system to "settle things later" as PT put it.

Duck says quack, cow says moo, police say don't run from police.

How is this news?

Go ask every cop you know if they think anyone should run from the cops ever, see what answer ya get.

Simplistic, elementary scratch at larger issues with policing in America. Yes, let's put reform all on the public. Obey, shut your mouth, pay your fine, shut your mouth, don't video, shut your mouth. Tamir Rice didn't run, John Crawford didn't run, Eric Gardner didn't run, Freddie Gray didn't run.

Too funny.......

Why am I surprised that an article about a black cop genuinely concerned with blacks get such criticism and sarcastic responses? His advice doesn't cure all problems but what does it hurt?

Why am I surprised that an article about a black cop genuinely concerned with blacks get such criticism and sarcastic responses? His advice doesn't cure all problems but what does it hurt?

They can't help themselves. The liberals need victims so they can continue to bash police departments.

No, it's because it's somewhat akin to hearing advice like "Don't provoke a bully. Be agreeable and defuse the situation." While it might be good advice to avoid getting into fights, especially if the bully is way bigger than you, it doesn't address the problem of bullying. Black people aren't advising other black people to consider running because they're all criminals with something to hide. It's because police have broken trust with the black community and other minorities as well. They don't trust that if they behave and are respectful that they won't get their ass kicked anyway. They don't trust that the justice system will sort it all out after the fact in their favor if there's a mistake.

So yeah, it's good advice to be respectful to cops and not to run. But don't act as if these folks are lunatics for wondering if that will really make a difference. They've seen too much to believe that anymore.

No, it's because it's somewhat akin to hearing advice like "Don't provoke a bully. Be agreeable and defuse the situation." While it might be good advice to avoid getting into fights, especially if the bully is way bigger than you, it doesn't address the problem of bullying. Black people aren't advising other black people to consider running because they're all criminals with something to hide. It's because police have broken trust with the black community and other minorities as well. They don't trust that if they behave and are respectful that they won't get their ass kicked anyway. They don't trust that the justice system will sort it all out after the fact in their favor if there's a mistake.

So yeah, it's good advice to be respectful to cops and not to run. But don't act as if these folks are lunatics for wondering if that will really make a difference. They've seen too much to believe that anymore.

Can't argue with your premise, but I'd like to see the odds of running vs. not. Pretty sure I'd take the latter regardless of skin color.

In all three of the cases that have made national headlines within the past year, we see one common theme. The person that the police were dealing with would still be alive to make any claims of improper treatment had they not resisted. I've heard Cole tell his story and I know the cops around there were genuine a holes and corruption was rampant. It still is in places around the country and we dont need to make light of that. We have to fix that. Still though, If any person will follow the advice of this man you will be a whole lot more likely to come out of any encounter alive. You start running or arguing, you are not going to win that battle.

In all three of the cases that have made national headlines within the past year, we see one common theme. The person that the police were dealing with would still be alive to make any claims of improper treatment had they not resisted. I've heard Cole tell his story and I know the cops around there were genuine a holes and corruption was rampant. It still is in places around the country and we dont need to make light of that. We have to fix that. Still though, If any person will follow the advice of this man you will be a whole lot more likely to come out of any encounter alive. You start running or arguing, you are not going to win that battle.

I'll be damned!!!

WHY....WHY GOD do I agree with CT????

exactly. You can spread rhetoric and breed fear or you can give advice as to what to do that does not lead to a shooting almost all the time. The reality is you are not "damned if you don't run or resist".

Lol. Nobody has advocated running from police on this board. On this board nobody brought up race about that running incident. Majority of the time when race comes up it's the stupid some people would cry racism...then the even more stupid cosigner to it...

I agree if you adhere to everything swallow your pride sometimes you have a less likelihood of things going bad, I'm saying it shouldn't result to death though

Resisting does not give cops carte blanche to beat someone paralyzed or shoot them in the back from 30 feet away. When will you get it through your head that because of stories like cole's, that happen all to often all over this country, people fear police and do not trust them to treat them fairly? So they resist and they run. It's not the right thing to do or the best course of action. But a police officer still has the responsibility to use appropriate force, not just get his licks in because that black sonofabitch made them run.

This is a problem that is exacerbated by the fact that cops are the fattest occupation of them all. Why don't departments have weight and health standards? A lot of folks laugh when they see a fat cop. Don't. Those are the ones who'll shoot because their cankles prevent them from running.

Archived