Petraeus Sentenced To Two Years Probation

Proud Tiger

Meanwhile in an alternate universe: "Judge sentences Manning, Snowden to probation, a modest fine for sharing secrets with journalists - wishes them luck"

Letting your mistress who was an academy graduate and intelligence corps major in the U.S. Army Reserve who was after investigations later prompted to LTC read his classified notebooks is not the same as handing over classified information to Wikileaks. Both are wrong, but giving top secret info to Wikileaks is really wrong.

And General Officers really should be able to find better looking mistresses and girlfriends.

There is no wrong, really wrong, or super duper really wrong when it comes to handling classified material.

I've seen the disciplinary results of mishandling classified information several times. The punishment always related to the situation.

Who said giving classified material was his REAL mistake?

That's not against the law.

Actually it can be under article 134 of the UCMJ.

That'd be cold to charge a retiree. :laugh:/>

they would have apply the ucmj prior to discharge. one of the reasons deserters are not given discharges. if they come back later they are still subject to the ucmj and are then tried for desertion under a military court.

Didn't say it was. That's the reason a lot of us haven't served jail time

No. That is absolutely wrong. This man was DCI. He had a SERIOUS, inexcusable lapse in judgement. He allowed himself to compromise classified information.

We should forgive him but, to excuse, dismiss his mistake is a mistake.

I still say he got away with it. Hope no one is acting like the poor pitiful guy is actually getting reasonable punishment for his crimes. Ha! Probation... :rolleyes:/>

Anyone know if he still gets his retirement pay?

4star pay with the time in he had.... gotta be a decent sum.

yes he would still get all pay and benefits based on his rank at retirement. the only way that would change is for the secretary of the army to form a review board of 4 star general officers to make a recommendation on reducing his rank in retirement. it has been done before, but not likely in this case. pretraeus was forced to resign from the cia and now has a federal conviction, so i think thats the end of it.

No. That is absolutely wrong. This man was DCI. He had a SERIOUS, inexcusable lapse in judgement. He allowed himself to compromise classified information.

he was a 4 star general when this happened, he was the dci when it became public and he was forced to resign from the cia.

he was a 4 star general when this happened, he was the dci when it became public and he was forced to resign from the cia.

I do not mean to question or doubt you but, do you have a link to information. Everything I have read indicates the term of the affair is unknown but, indicates that it began after he left command in 2011. The emails from Broadwell to Kelly seem to indicate otherwise, also.

I do not mean to question or doubt you but, do you have a link to information. Everything I have read indicates the term of the affair is unknown but, indicates that it began after he left command in 2011. The emails from Broadwell to Kelly seem to indicate otherwise, also.

right

he allowed her to see the classified information while he was a four star general.

he apparently started his affair with her just after he became the director of the cia in 2011

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2015/04/23/timeline-general-david-petraeus-paula-broadwell-jill-kelley/26245095/

either of the above would force him out of the cia job. the affair was a political embarrassment and could also have been used to blackmail pratraeus, so he had to leave the cia. since he was out of the army they used the federal court for the charge concerning classified information. if he had not had the affair, the classified information part would probably never have been discovered. he'd still be at cia.

right

he allowed her to see the classified information while he was a four star general.

he apparently started his affair with her just after he became the director of the cia in 2011

http://www.usatoday....elley/26245095/

either of the above would force him out of the cia job. the affair was a political embarrassment and could also have been used to blackmail pratraeus, so he had to leave the cia. since he was out of the army they used the federal court for the charge concerning classified information. if he had not had the affair, the classified information part would probably never have been discovered. he'd still be at cia.

Maybe I missed it but, I did not see that in the timeline.

Regardless, too many people who claim to be concerned about the security of the country seem to want to dismiss his actions. The DCI can not compromise himself like this. Thank goodness Broadwell was not an agent for a foreign government.

Archived