Cruz misses Lynch vote after railing against it

AUUSN

Presidential hopeful Sen. Ted Cruz (R-Texas) missed the vote on Loretta Lynch's nomination for attorney general despite being one of her most vocal opponents in the upper chamber.

Cruz, who had slammed GOP leaders for allowing the nomination to move forward, was the only senator to miss the vote.

While the senator’s whereabouts are unclear, it’s possible that he was flying back to Texas for a presidential fundraiser that is reportedly being held for him in Dallas.

"The Republican majority, if it so chose, could defeat this nomination," Cruz said Thursday. "But the Republican majority has chosen to go forward and allow Loretta Lynch to be confirmed."

Cruz also suggested that Republicans who supported Lynch would have to explain their votes back in their home states.

"I would note there are a few voters back home that are asking what exactly is the difference between a Democratic and Republican majority," he said. "That's a question each of us will have to answer to our constituents back home."

Lynch, who was nominated more than 160 days ago, was confirmed in a 56-43 vote on Thursday afternoon.

Cruz did vote against the Lynch nomination during a procedural vote earlier Thursday.

Cruz's office didn't immediately respond to a request for comment on where the senator was during the vote, but so far this year the Texas Republican has been one of the senators most likely to skip votes.

Between January and March, Cruz missed more votes than any other senator except Minority Leader Harry Reid (D-Nev.), who was at home recovering from an injury, and Sen. Marco Rubio (R-Fla.), another presidential candidate.

So far this month, Cruz has missed 20 of the Senate's 28 roll call votes, according to GovTrack.

http://thehill.com/blogs/floor-action/senate/239898-cruz-misses-lynch-vote-after-railing-against-it

This is why I think that sitting congressdummys should have to give up their seat if they're running for an executive office. I can't stand ANY (not just Cruz) legislators missing votes unless they are actively in a committee meeting. You know, doing their jobs, making laws, etc. Happened with Obama too...they have to start campaigning and it takes away from the thing we as a country are paying them to do.

To facilitate this, i'd also say there needs to be a method to take a "leave of absence" from your seat, rather than having to give it up completely. I don't care if they do or do not come back, really, I just want someone in the chair casting votes.

Hey, its official! Cruz is Officially Presidential Timber!

Obama making less than a quarter of Senate votes

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- Sen. Barack Obama has missed the most votes of any Democratic presidential hopeful in the Senate over the last two months, including a vote on an Iran resolution he has blasted Sen. Hillary Clinton for supporting.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/POLITICS/11/02/obama.missed.votes/

Archived