B. Feldman interviews CGM

mad4au

http://www.foxsports.com/college-football/story/auburn-tigers-gus-malzahn-notre-dame-lsu-big-ten-audible-podcast-042115

I really enjoyed this podcast and wanted to share. Gus' interview is at about the 40 min mark (you can fast forward to Gus though). The rest of it is ok also though. Interesting comment from the head man about the LB's at the 46 min mark.

War Eagle!!

Good listen -- thanks for posting, mad4au.

The comment about the linebackers is very interesting, given the scuttlebutt about Cass and KF. For those who haven't listened, Gus was asked if anyone stood out as having improved a lot. His answer: our linebackers.

The title makes it sound as if Gus is thinking of going to the pros. If you listen, though, you'll see that Gus just has confidence his offense would work in the NFL; he says he's extremely happy at AU and has "no ambitions" to head to the NFL "at this time."

I really liked Gus's comment that "Auburn ïs a good fit for me". Sounds like Gus he is pretty happy to be at Auburn which comes as no surprise to me. Auburn definitely has a different feel to it than any school I have ever visited or gone to. I hope he retires from AU. Great interview!!

If this goes how I see it, the rec and bama fans will pay high dollars to get Gus away from AU because he will force Nick Saban into early retirement before it's all said and done. The man is relentless about his system and it works, man I'm glad he's at AU

Wow. that's the most I have ever heard from Malzahn at one time.

I really liked the point of adjusting to your personnel - which is necessary in high school coaching - vs. focusing on your system. This strikes me as the greatest contrast with Sabin, who obviously recruits for his system and then sticks to the plan.

The state is blessed to arguably have the two best coaches in the college game. And Auburn is blessed that our's is on the ascendancy.

No problem peeps. I enjoyed the interview and felt there was a lot of good info to share. I'm really excited for this season and can't wait to see our improved defense and tweaked offense. This season should be fun to watch. War Eagle!!!!

Very good interview. Ultimately, what determines how good of a coach Gus is at AU will be the bottom line... wins on the field and not getting put on probation.

wde

Ultimately, what determines how good of a coach Gus is at AU will be the bottom line... wins on the field and not getting put on probation.

wde

47-17-1 and an SEC West championship along the way to being fired (or quitting) after starting 1-5 with your top two (three?) centers going down before taking a single snap in your final season says there's a wee bit more to it than that...

Ultimately, what determines how good of a coach Gus is at AU will be the bottom line... wins on the field and not getting put on probation.

wde

47-17-1 and an SEC West championship along the way to being fired (or quitting) after starting 1-5 with your top two (three?) centers going down before taking a single snap in your final season says there's a wee bit more to it than that...

. Love the "wee bit" reference.

wde

. Love the "wee bit" reference.

Caught that did ya? ;)

wde

Fair enough and valid point. However: you could see the wheels coming off of the "wee bit" wagon beginning in early 1996 and by as early as 1995 "wee bit's" off of the field exploits were being discussed.

wde

Gus is not going to the NFL. Not today, not tomorrow, and not ever. A couple of high profile SEC coaches that have tasted that drink, came away with a bad taste in their mouths. (Spurrier, Saban). and Harbo at Michigan not sure of the spelling) Gus' offense would work to a point, but would likely get his QB injured or worse. I think I am dead on correct about this.

Gus is not going to the NFL. Not today, not tomorrow, and not ever. A couple of high profile SEC coaches that have tasted that drink, came away with a bad taste in their mouths. (Spurrier, Saban). and Harbo at Michigan not sure of the spelling) Gus' offense would work to a point, but would likely get his QB injured or worse. I think I am dead on correct about this.

you can throw petrino in there too. But i disagree that their stints would deter gus or any others from trying it. They get paid an insane amount of money, then no matter how bad they do they get paid more to return to college than they were making when they left.

wde

Been reading this board for years but this is my first post. 47-17-1 does not sound that bad unless it is framed by the first 22 games where his record was 20-1-1. So 17-16 really sux and we should all be able to agree on that!

wde

Been reading this board for years but this is my first post. 47-17-1 does not sound that bad unless it is framed by the first 22 games where his record was 20-1-1. So 17-16 really sux and we should all be able to agree on that!

So you're saying the trend was a "wee bit" off towards the end?

“I don’t have any dreams or ambitions at this time,” Malzahn said. “I want to win championships here, and I want to be here for a while.”

Malzahn said Auburn is the right place at the right time for him as he heads into his third season.

“Auburn fits me,” Malzahn said. “I love Auburn. This fits me, and I’m blessed to be the head coach here. I enjoy getting up every day and going to work.”

Malzahn said Auburn’s “family feel” makes it special.

“It’s different,” Malzahn said. “There are a lot of people that cheer for each other. They separate the business side of football away from the personal side. That’s from a coach’s standpoint and a player standpoint. That’s just a feel.”

Feldman asked Malzahn if he could see himself at Auburn in 20 years.

“I’m happy,” Malzahn said. “This place fits me. I’m blessed to be here.”

But Malzahn said he believes his offense would work in the NFL.

“There’s no doubt,” Malzahn said. “You already see the game going that way. There is no doubt it would be successful.”

http://auburn.247sports.com/Bolt/No-NFL-dreams-or-ambitions-for-Malzahn-36994745

I hope Malzahn retires here. I hope he becomes the most winningest coach in Auburn history. What he's done for Auburn is incredible and I can't wait for football season to be back!

Archived