Supreme Court poised to hear landmark gay marriage case

triangletiger

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The fix has been in on this one for a while.

Yeah, I think it's pretty much inevitable the direction this is going to go.

The climate of opinion has been so completely controlled by complicity between the militant LGBT community, the media and academia any ruling other than forcing the states to recognize the legality of gay marriages will be a shock to me. This is what happens when power becomes too centralized, despuite the fact, most americans favor protecting traditional marriage

If the ruling goes as expected, the GLBT will move the target toward forcing churches to accept them. That's the next step.

I dont see how a church can be forced to do that but you could be right

If the ruling goes as expected, the GLBT will move the target toward forcing churches to accept them. That's the next step.

TrekOhNoes.gif

I dont see how a church can be forced to do that but you could be right

These people don't care. First step is to force the hiring of non clergy employees. Second is to label sermons as hate speech and take away tax exempt status. Last is clergyman having to perform weddings and churches forced to allow their facilities. That's their ultimate goal. Whether they succeed or not is still up in the air. One thing is clear just having the 'right' to marry is not going to satisfy these people.

... most americans favor protecting traditional marriage

On what basis do you conclude this? Not these polls, I'm guessing:

http://www.pollingreport.com/civil.htm

Quinnipiac University Poll. April 16-21, 2015. N=1,353 registered voters nationwide. Margin of error ± 2.7.

"Do you support or oppose allowing same-sex couples to get married?" Support = 58%

ABC News/Washington Post Poll. April 16-20, 2015. N=1,016 adults nationwide. Margin of error ± 3.5.

"Overall, do you support or oppose allowing gays and lesbians to marry legally?" Support = 61%

Suffolk University/USA Today. April 8-13, 2015. N=1,000 adults nationwide. Margin of error ± 3.

"Do you strongly favor, favor, oppose, or strongly oppose allowing gays and lesbians to marry legally?" Favor = 51%

NBC News/Wall Street Journal Poll conducted by Hart Research Associates (D) and Public Opinion Strategies ®. March 1-5, 2015. N=1,000 adults nationwide. Margin of error ± 3.1.

"Do you favor or oppose allowing gay and lesbian couples to enter into same-sex marriages?" Favor = 59%

Gallup Poll. May 8-11, 2014. N=1,028 adults nationwide. Margin of error ± 4

"Do you think marriages between same-sex couples should or should not be recognized by the law as valid, with the same rights as traditional marriages?" Should = 55%

CBS News Poll. Feb. 13-17, 2015. N=1,006 adults nationwide. Margin of error ± 3.

"Do you think it should be legal or not legal for same-sex couples to marry?" Legal = 60%

CNN/ORC Poll. Feb. 12-15, 2015. N=1,027 adults nationwide. Margin of error ± 3

"Do you think gays and lesbians do or do not have a constitutional right to get married and have their marriage recognized by law as valid?" Do have a right = 63%

McClatchy-Marist Poll. Aug. 4-7, 2014. N=1,035 adults nationwide. Margin of error ± 3.

"Do you strongly favor, favor, oppose, or strongly oppose allowing gays and lesbians to marry legally?" Favor or strongly favor = 54%

Bloomberg National Poll conducted by Selzer & Company. March 7-10, 2014. N=1,001 adults nationwide. Margin of error ± 3.1.

"Do you support or oppose allowing same-sex couples to get married?" Support = 55%

Pew Research Center. Feb. 12-26, 2014. N=3,338 adults nationwide. Margin of error ± 2.

"Do you strongly favor, favor, oppose or strongly oppose allowing gays and lesbians to marry legally?" Favor = 54%

Public Religion Research Institute, conducted by Princeton Survey Research Associates. Nov. 12-Dec. 18, 2013. N=4,509 adults nationwide. Margin of error ± 1.7.

"All in all, do you strongly favor, favor, oppose, or strongly oppose allowing gay and lesbian couples to marry legally?" Favor or strongly favor = 53%

USA Today Poll conducted by Princeton Survey Research Associates International. June 27-30, 2013. N=1,003 adults nationwide. Margin of error ± 3.6.

"Do you think marriages between same-sex couples should or should not be recognized by the law as valid, with the same rights as traditional marriages?" Should = 55%

And finally, the "fair and balanced" Fox News Network:

Fox News Poll conducted by Anderson Robbins Research (D) and Shaw & Company Research ®. March 17-19, 2013. N=1,002 registered voters nationwide. Margin of error ± 3.

"Do you favor or oppose legalizing same-sex marriage?" Favor = 49%, Oppose = 46%, Unsure = 5%

I think the tool of choice will be tax exempt status. If anyone thinks this strategy isn't being put together right now, they've got their head so far in the sand they're hearing the muffled sounds of Chinese. Eventually the day will come where someone files a lawsuit and the argument will be that tax exemptions should be be granted to any organization that discriminates against LGBT people in any way. So if you won't allow them to use your church buildings for a wedding or the minister won't perform the ceremony, then your tax exempt status should be revoked. Nevermind that the reason for the tax exemption is to solidify they 1st Amendment - removing the cudgel of tax law from the hand of government to coerce religious institutions.

Its times like this where I can't figure out if you are all just excellent trolls.

most americans favor protecting traditional marriage

What the heck polls are you looking at? http://www.pollingreport.com/civil.htm

Edit: NM, looks like qf beat me to it.

I think the tool of choice will be tax exempt status. If anyone thinks this strategy isn't being put together right now, they've got their head so far in the sand they're hearing the muffled sounds of Chinese. Eventually the day will come where someone files a lawsuit and the argument will be that tax exemptions should be be granted to any organization that discriminates against LGBT people in any way. So if you won't allow them to use your church buildings for a wedding or the minister won't perform the ceremony, then your tax exempt status should be revoked. Nevermind that the reason for the tax exemption is to solidify they 1st Amendment - removing the cudgel of tax law from the hand of government to coerce religious institutions.

Look, if the IRS won't police blatant politicking, something which is already against the law and should result in automatic stripping of tax-exempt status, I don't think they'll have much luck with this angle either.

Either way, that would be an interesting argument, and I would not be surprised to see it come up in courts. Of course, if we got rid of it across the board, then at least that cudgel gets applied equally...

Look, if the IRS won't police blatant politicking, something which is already against the law and should result in automatic stripping of tax-exempt status, I don't think they'll have much luck with this angle either.

Either way, that would be an interesting argument, and I would not be surprised to see it come up in courts. Of course, if we got rid of it across the board, then at least that cudgel gets applied equally...

why should churches be forced vto be silent on political atters?

There are some key differences. First, the IRS is possibly the most hated agency in government. So they don't have the force of public opinion, much less Hollywood or the news media in their corner. Second, the politicking thing - even if it wasn't the IRS contesting it - rightly or wrongly rings in some people's minds as falling under free speech. They remember the key role the black churches played in the civil rights movement for instance and there was blatant politicking there too. They are loathe to bring much pressure on the matter.

Conversely, the LBGT lobby is sympathetically viewed and the issue is framed as an emotional one. It has garnered the unblushing support of societal elites in media, academia and culture. So the threat is much greater than anything the IRS would do on the politicking laws.

And of course, it wouldn't be applied evenly. It would be used as a coercive tool to force compliance or make you pay financially. And for smaller churches, it would really be a Hobson's choice - comply and compromise your faith or resist and have to close your doors. The argument wouldn't be to remove all tax exemptions from churches - just those meanies that won't let the lesbian couple get married there.

why should churches be forced vto be silent on political atters?

Because that's what lets them be tax exempt? Don't look at me, it's an IRS rule. I believe the theory is that churches are tax exempt because they are apolitical entities having nothing to do with government. If they want to be involved with government, then they are more than welcome to be involved, they just have to be taxed like everyone else.

And of course, it wouldn't be applied evenly. It would be used as a coercive tool to force compliance or make you pay financially. The argument wouldn't be to remove all tax exemptions from churches - just those meanies that won't let the lesbian couple get married there.

My contention is that we do away with tax-exempt status for churches entirely, and then churches can say whatever they would like. Or, we can leave it like it is, and churches can be not a part of the political process, but in return don't give money to the government. We can't half-ass this, either way, because (as you say) it will be used unfairly and inequitably.

Its times like this where I can't figure out if you are all just excellent trolls.

most americans favor protecting traditional marriage

What the heck polls are you looking at? http://www.pollingreport.com/civil.htm

Edit: NM, looks like qf beat me to it.

I wouldn't worry about it, Auctoritas. Facts are not diminished by repetition.

Of course, in the greater view, it really doesn't matter how many people want to 'protect' traditional, heterosexual marriage. First of all, no one is attacking heterosexual marriage. No matter what the Supreme Court decides, heterosexuals will still be free to marry the oppositely-gendered adult of their choice, to hold the same religious view of marriage they've always held, and will enjoy all the benefits of government sanctioned marriage they already enjoy.

Secondly, basic rights do not require the approval of a majority. Jefferson spoke of "inalienable" rights in the Declaration of Independence, rights that no government has the authority to deny. The authors of the Constitution made sure it would take two thirds of Congress (or a convention called by 2/3rds of the states) and ratification by three fourths of the States to amend that document as a protection against a "dictatorship" of the simple majority.

I don't care if the people voted 99% to 1% to re-legalize slavery, disenfranchise women, re-institute Jim Crow laws, imprison homosexuals, outlaw a free press, or permit the practice of only one particular state religion, I could never agree to such. And if the government is going to be in the marriage recognition business, I could never agree it had the right to limit my marital choices based on the race, religion, or anatomy of my intended spouse.

If anyone is interested, SCOTUS released audio of the arguments today for the first half (question 1). http://www.supremeco.../2014/14-556-q1

They will release the second half on the second question later today.

Thanks for the link.

Probably won't have time to listen to the whole thing, but I'm sure both Fox News and MSNBC will give me an accurate "fair and balanced" summary soon enough. :rolleyes::big:

On what basis do you conclude this? Not these polls, I'm guessing:.....

He was talking about real 'muricans. ;D

Quinnipiac University Poll. April 16-21, 2015. N=1,353 registered voters nationwide. Margin of error ± 2.7.

"Do you support or oppose allowing same-sex couples to get married?" Support = 58%

ABC News/Washington Post Poll. April 16-20, 2015. N=1,016 adults nationwide. Margin of error ± 3.5.

"Overall, do you support or oppose allowing gays and lesbians to marry legally?" Support = 61%

Suffolk University/USA Today. April 8-13, 2015. N=1,000 adults nationwide. Margin of error ± 3.

"Do you strongly favor, favor, oppose, or strongly oppose allowing gays and lesbians to marry legally?" Favor = 51%

NBC News/Wall Street Journal Poll conducted by Hart Research Associates (D) and Public Opinion Strategies ®. March 1-5, 2015. N=1,000 adults nationwide. Margin of error ± 3.1.

"Do you favor or oppose allowing gay and lesbian couples to enter into same-sex marriages?" Favor = 59%

CBS News Poll. Feb. 13-17, 2015. N=1,006 adults nationwide. Margin of error ± 3.

"Do you think it should be legal or not legal for same-sex couples to marry?" Legal = 60%

"Do you think gays and lesbians do or do not have a constitutional right to get married and have their marriage recognized by law as valid?" Do have a right = 63%

McClatchy-Marist Poll. Aug. 4-7, 2014. N=1,035 adults nationwide. Margin of error ± 3.

"Do you strongly favor, favor, oppose, or strongly oppose allowing gays and lesbians to marry legally?" Favor or strongly favor = 54%

Bloomberg National Poll conducted by Selzer & Company. March 7-10, 2014. N=1,001 adults nationwide. Margin of error ± 3.1.

"Do you support or oppose allowing same-sex couples to get married?" Support = 55%

Pew Research Center. Feb. 12-26, 2014. N=3,338 adults nationwide. Margin of error ± 2.

"Do you strongly favor, favor, oppose or strongly oppose allowing gays and lesbians to marry legally?" Favor = 54%

Public Religion Research Institute, conducted by Princeton Survey Research Associates. Nov. 12-Dec. 18, 2013. N=4,509 adults nationwide. Margin of error ± 1.7.

"All in all, do you strongly favor, favor, oppose, or strongly oppose allowing gay and lesbian couples to marry legally?" Favor or strongly favor = 53%

USA Today Poll conducted by Princeton Survey Research Associates International. June 27-30, 2013. N=1,003 adults nationwide. Margin of error ± 3.6.

Fox News Poll conducted by Anderson Robbins Research (D) and Shaw & Company Research ®. March 17-19, 2013. N=1,002 registered voters nationwide. Margin of error ± 3.

"Do you favor or oppose legalizing same-sex marriage?" Favor = 49%, Oppose = 46%, Unsure = 5%

Maybe I made a leap but the last time I am aware that it was actually voted on it was Proposition 8 in California where the voters elected to protect traditional marriage and the San Francisco Circuit of the Supreme Court over ruled the vote.That ruling itself did a lot toward manipulating the climate of opinion. Complicity from many quarters has led to the current "in favor" status...that's precisely what the objective was all along.

Maybe I made a leap but the last time I am aware that it was actually voted on it was Proposition 8 in California where the voters elected to protect traditional marriage and the San Francisco Circuit of the Supreme Court over ruled the vote.That ruling itself did a lot toward manipulating the climate of opinion. Complicity from many quarters has led to the current "in favor" status...that's precisely what the objective was all along.

The vote on Prop 8 was in 2008. I think the views on this issue have shifted in this country quite a bit since 2008.

The vote on Prop 8 was in 2008. I think the views on this issue have shifted in this country quite a bit since 2008.

While I understand Blue's point, it's also a fact that voting results don't necessarily reflect the opinion of all the people.

But I suppose one could make the case it reflects the opinion of the people who really matter. ;)

I'll say it also depends on region and state. What's popular in Oregon, California or New York isn't necessarily the same in Texas, Wyoming, South Carolina or Indiana. South Carolina's marriage law passed with 78% of the vote. Outside of a small handful of states (7 or 8?), none of the states where gay marriage is now legal was made that way by popular vote. It was imposed on them by the federal courts. There's also a big difference in what people will say to a pollster on the phone versus what lever they will pull in the privacy of the voting booth.

ya reckon? cant get anything past you, can I?

Archived