AT&T fined $100M for throttling "unlimited data" plans.

MDM4AU

Dang.

I'm still grandfathered into Verizon's unlimited dataplan. I've gotten close to 40 gb and never experienced any throttling.

Dang.

I'm still grandfathered into Verizon's unlimited dataplan. I've gotten close to 40 gb and never experienced any throttling.

So am I. I'm one of the 200GB+ guys that uses it as my primary internet service. Oddly, Verizon's LTE is considerably faster than the only other form of broadband available to me (DSL). DD-WRT on a Buffalo router broadcasts the tethered signal throughout the house as a virtual interface.

So am I. I'm one of the 200GB+ guys that uses it as my primary internet service. Oddly, Verizon's LTE is considerably faster than the only other form of broadband available to me (DSL). DD-WRT on a Buffalo router broadcasts the tethered signal throughout the house as a virtual interface.

I was in the same boat when I lived in the boonies. There really was no option except satellite internet, which was a major no go. So 4G hotspot was a lifesaver.

And like you, even now, where we have Windstream DSL, the 4G LTE is still considerably faster. In fact, I'd go so far as to say my DSL is crap. If I ever need to download something in a hurry, I fire up the hotspot.

All wireless carriers throttle data speed. When, how long and why they throttle gets them into trouble with the regulators.

http://arstechnica.c...to-limit-usage/

Verizon: We throttle unlimited data to provide an “incentive to limit usage” Verizon Wireless tells FCC that throttling policy isn't for boosting revenue.

Verizon Wireless has told FCC Chairman Tom Wheeler that its policy of throttling unlimited data users on congested cell sites is perfectly legal and necessary to give heavy data users an incentive to stop using their phones so much.

Wheeler had sent a letter to Verizon accusing the company of throttling unlimited data users in order to make more money, presumably by encouraging users to purchase new data plans. "'Reasonable network management' concerns the technical management of your network; it is not a loophole designed to enhance your revenue streams," Wheeler wrote. Wheeler didn’t argue that throttling itself is never reasonable, but he called it “disturbing” that “Verizon Wireless would base its 'network management' on distinctions among its customers' data plans, rather than on network architecture or technology." Further Reading

It’s not just Verizon: All major US carriers throttle “unlimited” data

On AT&T, Sprint, and T-Mobile, top 5% of users are throttled to ease congestion.

"I know of no past Commission statement that would treat as 'reasonable network management' a decision to slow traffic to a user who has paid, after all, for 'unlimited' service," Wheeler added.

Verizon no longer sells unlimited data plans to new customers, though some customers still have them. Newer and pricier data plans with limits and overage charges aren’t throttled under this policy, even if customers are connected to congested cell sites and use just as much data as those with "unlimited" plans.

The policy, Verizon explained to Wheeler, “is narrowly tailored to apply (1) only at particular cell sites experiencing unusually high demand; (2) only for the duration of that high demand; and (3) only to a very small percentage of customers who are heavy data users and are on plans that do not limit the amount of data they may use during the month without incurring added data charges (and otherwise have no incentive to limit usage during times of unusually high demand)—and then only when the particular cell site serving those customers is subject to unusually high demand.”

The throttling is reasonable because it prevents heavy users from using so much data that other users get bad service, Verizon wrote. Verizon Senior VP Kathleen Grillo sent the company’s response (PDF) on Friday, and a Verizon spokesperson provided a copy to Ars today.

Verizon further explained that "a small percentage of the customers on these [unlimited] plans use disproportionately large amounts of data, and, unlike subscribers on usage-based plans, they have no incentive not to do so during times of unusually high demand. Rather than an effort to 'enhance [our] revenue streams,' our practice is a measured and fair step to ensure that this small group of customers do not disadvantage all others in the sharing of network resources during times of high demand."

They all do it, in various ways

The throttling policy applies to the top five percent of data users and is similar though not identical to policies implemented by AT&T, Sprint, and T-Mobile. T-Mobile says it throttles customers in the top five percent of users in each rate plan, while Sprint says it throttles the top five percent of all users.

AT&T is similar to Verizon in that it reserves its throttling for unlimited data users. But there’s one key difference: AT&T says that speeds are only affected for one billing cycle. Verizon applies its policy to the current “billing cycle and the following cycle." All of these policies apply only to congested cell sites.

Verizon has to follow different rules from the other carriers as a result of purchasing spectrum with special requirements. Wheeler asked Verizon how it can justify its throttling “consistent with its continuing obligation under the 700 MHz C Block open platform rules, under which Verizon Wireless may not deny, limit, or restrict the ability of end users to download and utilize applications of their choosing.”

Verizon’s response:

With network optimization, our customers continue to be free to go where they want on the Internet and to use the applications, services and devices of their choice. Although the policy may result in slowed throughput under the very limited circumstances described above, neither the C Block rules nor the Open Internet rules requires any particular minimum speeds, so long as providers are transparent with their customers. And here, Verizon Wireless is clearly apprising our customers that under certain circumstances, the speeds of a few heavy users may be temporarily slowed at congested cell sites in order to provide a great wireless experience to all of our customers.

Verizon also pointed out that the FCC's Open Internet Order "endorsed precisely this type of practice, using wireline cable modem service as an example." The FCC said in the order that "we agree that congestion management may be a legitimate network management practice. For example, broadband providers may need to take reasonable steps to ensure that heavy users do not crowd out others... For example, if cable modem subscribers in a particular neighborhood are experiencing congestion, it may be reasonable for a broadband provider to temporarily limit the bandwidth available to individual end users in that neighborhood who are using a substantially disproportionate amount of bandwidth."

The FCC isn’t necessarily limiting its scrutiny to Verizon. Wheeler “sent the letter to Verizon in light of their recent announcement, but our concerns are about the practice at issue, not one particular provider,” an FCC spokesperson told Ars. “We’re looking at whether other providers are engaging in similar practices.”

The FCC is considering a new set of net neutrality rules to replace its 2010 order, which was mostly struck down in court. But the FCC's current proposal largely exempts wireless carriers from rules that would apply to fixed broadband providers.

I never once went over my data plan limit. I wonder if I'll get some of that money?

All wireless carriers throttle data speed. When, how long and why they throttle gets them into trouble with the regulators.

Verizon: We throttle unlimited data to provide an “incentive to limit usage” Verizon Wireless tells FCC that throttling policy isn't for boosting revenue.

Verizon also went on to wisely scrap that plan: http://www.theverge.com/2014/10/1/6882339/verizon-calls-off-throttling-unlimited-lte-data

I was in the same boat when I lived in the boonies. There really was no option except satellite internet, which was a major no go. So 4G hotspot was a lifesaver.

And like you, even now, where we have Windstream DSL, the 4G LTE is still considerably faster. In fact, I'd go so far as to say my DSL is crap. If I ever need to download something in a hurry, I fire up the hotspot.

The only 4G I have encountered was in Washington DC. Apparently I get only 3G where I live.

I use Virgin Mobile which is cheap but a real pain. I am constantly having to disconnect and then re-connect to keep it working.

I am thinking of switching even if it costs more, so I am interested in anyone's experience with Sprint, Verizon, etc.

Verizon also went on to wisely scrap that plan: http://www.theverge....imited-lte-data

Verizon saw the writing on the wall and pulled back. One of the prepaid carriers TracFone, was fined $40 million by the FCC. http://venturebeat.com/2015/01/28/ftc-fines-tracfone-40-million-for-throttling-unlimited-data-plans/

Intresting that TracFone also owns SafeLink Wireless that provide free cell phones in the US. TracFone is also owned by a Mexican communications company mostly owned by Carlos Slim the richest person in the workd. The cellular phone business is wild.

land line broadband in dying, at least the DSL type is. The major land line carriers are not investing in it. AT&T and Verizon make more money on wireless and much less on their land line networks. A fixed station wireless broadband service is probably coming. There are rumors AT&T will move their U-verse TV customers to DirecTV once that merger is complete.

The only 4G I have encountered was in Washington DC. Apparently I get only 3G where I live.

I use Virgin Mobile which is cheap but a real pain. I am constantly having to disconnect and then re-connect to keep it working.

I am thinking of switching even if it costs more, so I am interested in anyone's experience with Sprint, Verizon, etc.

I have had Tmobile, ATT, Verizon and Sprint. Tmobile customer service was superb but their coverage was lacking some. Verizon was probably the best. My employer supplies me with a phone and they use ATT. I have had no issues with it except to say Verizon was a little better in my experience.

Sprint sucks bammer a**. Just sayin'...

Verizon is generally the best carrier in the southeast with regard to consistent coverage from basically anywhere to anywhere else. GSM carriers (AT&T and T-Mobile) tend to have decent to great service in cities and along main highway corridors. I live in rural southwest Georgia, and my only realistic choice of carrier is Verizon. AT&T and T-Mobile are effectively useless in my area beyond call and text functions, and even those cannot be counted on.

If you are looking for an unlimited data plan, you can only get it in the form of unlimited with asterisk. It will be subject to throttling after you reach a certain usage threshold, and that throttling will vary in severity. T-Mobile is likely your best bet relative to that.

Verizon also went on to wisely scrap that plan: http://www.theverge....imited-lte-data

Verizon saw the writing on the wall and pulled back. One of the prepaid carriers TracFone, was fined $40 million by the FCC. http://venturebeat.c...ted-data-plans/

Intresting that TracFone also owns SafeLink Wireless that provide free cell phones in the US. TracFone is also owned by a Mexican communications company mostly owned by Carlos Slim the richest person in the workd. The cellular phone business is wild.

The smaller carriers have figured out the magic recipe: let the big four companies that actually own networks eat all the infrastructure and operating costs while they lease and resell. Then they got caught paying leases to the big four based on one product, and selling another.

Verizon Wireless has told FCC Chairman Tom Wheeler that its policy of throttling unlimited data users on congested cell sites is perfectly legal and necessary to give heavy data users an incentive to stop using their phones so much.

Wheeler had sent a letter to Verizon accusing the company of throttling unlimited data users in order to make more money, presumably by encouraging users to purchase new data plans. "'Reasonable network management' concerns the technical management of your network; it is not a loophole designed to enhance your revenue streams," Wheeler wrote. Wheeler didn’t argue that throttling itself is never reasonable, but he called it “disturbing” that “Verizon Wireless would base its 'network management' on distinctions among its customers' data plans, rather than on network architecture or technology." Further Reading

It’s not just Verizon: All major US carriers throttle “unlimited” data

On AT&T, Sprint, and T-Mobile, top 5% of users are throttled to ease congestion.

"I know of no past Commission statement that would treat as 'reasonable network management' a decision to slow traffic to a user who has paid, after all, for 'unlimited' service," Wheeler added.

Verizon no longer sells unlimited data plans to new customers, though some customers still have them. Newer and pricier data plans with limits and overage charges aren’t throttled under this policy, even if customers are connected to congested cell sites and use just as much data as those with "unlimited" plans.

The policy, Verizon explained to Wheeler, “is narrowly tailored to apply (1) only at particular cell sites experiencing unusually high demand; (2) only for the duration of that high demand; and (3) only to a very small percentage of customers who are heavy data users and are on plans that do not limit the amount of data they may use during the month without incurring added data charges (and otherwise have no incentive to limit usage during times of unusually high demand)—and then only when the particular cell site serving those customers is subject to unusually high demand.”

The throttling is reasonable because it prevents heavy users from using so much data that other users get bad service, Verizon wrote. Verizon Senior VP Kathleen Grillo sent the company’s response (PDF) on Friday, and a Verizon spokesperson provided a copy to Ars today.

Verizon further explained that "a small percentage of the customers on these [unlimited] plans use disproportionately large amounts of data, and, unlike subscribers on usage-based plans, they have no incentive not to do so during times of unusually high demand. Rather than an effort to 'enhance [our] revenue streams,' our practice is a measured and fair step to ensure that this small group of customers do not disadvantage all others in the sharing of network resources during times of high demand."

They all do it, in various ways

The throttling policy applies to the top five percent of data users and is similar though not identical to policies implemented by AT&T, Sprint, and T-Mobile. T-Mobile says it throttles customers in the top five percent of users in each rate plan, while Sprint says it throttles the top five percent of all users.

AT&T is similar to Verizon in that it reserves its throttling for unlimited data users. But there’s one key difference: AT&T says that speeds are only affected for one billing cycle. Verizon applies its policy to the current “billing cycle and the following cycle." All of these policies apply only to congested cell sites.

Verizon has to follow different rules from the other carriers as a result of purchasing spectrum with special requirements. Wheeler asked Verizon how it can justify its throttling “consistent with its continuing obligation under the 700 MHz C Block open platform rules, under which Verizon Wireless may not deny, limit, or restrict the ability of end users to download and utilize applications of their choosing.”

Verizon’s response:

With network optimization, our customers continue to be free to go where they want on the Internet and to use the applications, services and devices of their choice. Although the policy may result in slowed throughput under the very limited circumstances described above, neither the C Block rules nor the Open Internet rules requires any particular minimum speeds, so long as providers are transparent with their customers. And here, Verizon Wireless is clearly apprising our customers that under certain circumstances, the speeds of a few heavy users may be temporarily slowed at congested cell sites in order to provide a great wireless experience to all of our customers.

Verizon also pointed out that the FCC's Open Internet Order "endorsed precisely this type of practice, using wireline cable modem service as an example." The FCC said in the order that "we agree that congestion management may be a legitimate network management practice. For example, broadband providers may need to take reasonable steps to ensure that heavy users do not crowd out others... For example, if cable modem subscribers in a particular neighborhood are experiencing congestion, it may be reasonable for a broadband provider to temporarily limit the bandwidth available to individual end users in that neighborhood who are using a substantially disproportionate amount of bandwidth."

The FCC isn’t necessarily limiting its scrutiny to Verizon. Wheeler “sent the letter to Verizon in light of their recent announcement, but our concerns are about the practice at issue, not one particular provider,” an FCC spokesperson told Ars. “We’re looking at whether other providers are engaging in similar practices.”

The FCC is considering a new set of net neutrality rules to replace its 2010 order, which was mostly struck down in court. But the FCC's current proposal largely exempts wireless carriers from rules that would apply to fixed broadband providers.

Hah! That's interesting.

I have had Tmobile, ATT, Verizon and Sprint. Tmobile customer service was superb but their coverage was lacking some. Verizon was probably the best. My employer supplies me with a phone and they use ATT. I have had no issues with it except to say Verizon was a little better in my experience.

Sprint sucks bammer a**. Just sayin'...

Thanks. I am not sure which of the major carriers that Virgin "piggy-backs" off of, but I think it may be Sprint.

Dang.

I'm grandfathered into an unlimited dataplan with Verizon as well; with the broadband plan. Still use the USB broadband when i'm traveling with family. Never giving that up. lol. They are ALWAYS calling and sending me promotions to upgrade so i'll have to change my plan. I'm like NOPE...and just go on ebay and buy a new USB.

I use Metro PCS. They are on T-Mobile's network. Haven't had any issues thus far except for certain spotty areas. Not incredibly expensive either.

I use Metro PCS. They are on T-Mobile's network. Haven't had any issues thus far except for certain spotty areas. Not incredibly expensive either.

Thanks. Never heard of them. I'll look them up.

The limiting thing for me is they must utilize a provider that uses the cell phone tower that is relatively close to my house. That's the only source from which I can get a signal.

Thanks. Never heard of them. I'll look them up.

The limiting thing for me is they must utilize a provider that uses the cell phone tower that is relatively close to my house. That's the only source from which I can get a signal.

Go to metropcs.com and click on their coverage map. You can enter your zip to see if you would be in a good coverage area.

One upside to TMobile is that if your only issue is getting a good signal when you're at home, they are big time into WiFi calling, meaning that you are able to make calls over your internet connection at home via WiFi if you don't get a strong cell signal. If fact, it works anywhere you are able to get on WiFi. Now, that's not helpful if you drive in a lot of stretches that has spotty coverage with TMo, but if they have good coverage for you except for your home or office, as long as you have access to WiFi, you can make calls, get online, stream music, etc.

Well my Verizon coverage is not cheap but I have had no issues with this type of activity and it picks up pretty much everywhere, which is what I need as much as anything else. It's not an unlimited plan so I can't just stay on it 24/7 watching video.

Archived