Jonathan Mincy - Falcons Minicamp

RunInRed

Of course we want Mincy to do well, but to say his play was anything but subpar last year is incorrect IMO.

The coaches of the SEC told you that your opinion is incorrect when they named Mincy to the second team of the All-SEC squad.

Seriously guys, where is all this hate coming from?

You're right. But the "hate" is coming from his play. He was on lots of WRs highlights. If you happened to search "Mincy" on twitter during AU games you would see that this sentiment was not limited to AUF.

No, the hate is coming from frustrations about the play of the defense, and he's just the one who garnered a vastly unfair amount of it. I saw mention of how much the issues with getting pressure on the QB had to do with the pass coverage earlier in this thread, and it befuddles me how few people understand that covering a receiver for even 5 full seconds is pretty danged difficult.

But here, let me break it down for those of you who still don't seem to get it: If the quarterback has all the time he wants to throw the ball, it doesn't matter how many people are covering because eventually one of the five receivers will get enough separation that making the completion becomes simple. After Carl Lawson went down, we had no one on the D-line with any kind of proven ability to get to the QB. Thus, to compensate, Ellis Johnson had to be creative with his blitz packages just to get heat in the backfield, and it worked for a while (remember being in the top 5 against TAMU? We were 7-1 at the time), but eventually the bubble burst. And when it did, everything else came crashing down with it.

Now, let us go back to your statement. It indicates your opinion is that because Auburn fans on other message boards besides just this one feel the same way about Mincy, you, and everyone else who is slamming him, are justified, even after I pointed out that the coaches (you know, the people who get paid to do the things that fans always seem to think they can do better) named him to the All-SEC Team.

That having been said, I agree with you that he should have been smarter than to have let himself get into the situation he did. I also agree that that situation has a lot to do with the negative opinions toward him...although I would argue most of those opinions were more because Auburn people didn't like that he besmirched the Tiger brand, not because they were concerned about him.

Nevertheless, don't you think it's time people start recognizing how much one single "mistake" like getting caught with weed neither defines him as a person nor has anything to do with his play on the field? Because once that happens, perhaps the blinders will fall off and people can stop questioning whether the Falcons lost their minds by signing a former Auburn player.

Church.

Go back and watch the KSU game. We had Lockett blanketed almost the entire game. And we had that Sexton kid blanketed, too. But we couldn't get to the freaking quarterback, so time and again Sexton had time to check back towards the QB. Watch the game again, and you'll see him running towards the QB every other time he caught the ball.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Probably should agree to disagree but the my opinion is greater than yours stuff don't work either way

I just hope Mincy does not line up against Cooper on Sunday's.

I don't imagine most fans would want most CBs lined up in single man against the premiere receiver in whatever league their team plays in.

Cooper abused every cornerback in the SEC. Dude was the 4th overall pick in the draft.

Vernon Hargreaves held his own, despite being pushed off most of the time in that game when he lined up against mr all world cooper. Lol

Suppose you'd want Coates over Cooper?

Yep, the alabama system won't work in the nfl.

Are we just going to ignore this or

As a matter of fact...

This post is hidden because you have chosen to ignore posts by war eagle6. View it anyway?

Loof is my hero.

Of course we want Mincy to do well, but to say his play was anything but subpar last year is incorrect IMO.

The coaches of the SEC told you that your opinion is incorrect when they named Mincy to the second team of the All-SEC squad.

Seriously guys, where is all this hate coming from?

You're right. But the "hate" is coming from his play. He was on lots of WRs highlights. If you happened to search "Mincy" on twitter during AU games you would see that this sentiment was not limited to AUF.

No, the hate is coming from frustrations about the play of the defense, and he's just the one who garnered a vastly unfair amount of it. I saw mention of how much the issues with getting pressure on the QB had to do with the pass coverage earlier in this thread, and it befuddles me how few people understand that covering a receiver for even 5 full seconds is pretty danged difficult. I'll agree that frustrations were about the play of the D. But I think he also had his share of miscues. The DL certainly didn't help him out as I had said earlier. It's a team effort, but he was still also responsible for giving up big plays. Everyone is to blame, it's just we're discussing Mincy here.

But here, let me break it down for those of you who still don't seem to get it: If the quarterback has all the time he wants to throw the ball, it doesn't matter how many people are covering because eventually one of the five receivers will get enough separation that making the completion becomes simple. After Carl Lawson went down, we had no one on the D-line with any kind of proven ability to get to the QB. Thus, to compensate, Ellis Johnson had to be creative with his blitz packages just to get heat in the backfield, and it worked for a while (remember being in the top 5 against TAMU? We were 7-1 at the time), but eventually the bubble burst. And when it did, everything else came crashing down with it.

I agree, see above.

Now, let us go back to your statement. It indicates your opinion is that because Auburn fans on other message boards besides just this one feel the same way about Mincy, you, and everyone else who is slamming him, are justified, even after I pointed out that the coaches (you know, the people who get paid to do the things that fans always seem to think they can do better) named him to the All-SEC Team.

No, my point was actually that the opinion wasn't some sort of "targeting" of Mincy in here, as many people also felt his play could've been better. But you're right he was named to an All-SEC team so the coaches obviously thought enough about him, but he still gave up a lot of plays along with the rest of the guys, which made me want to see more out of his play, at least in my opinion.

That having been said, I agree with you that he should have been smarter than to have let himself get into the situation he did. I also agree that that situation has a lot to do with the negative opinions toward him...although I would argue most of those opinions were more because Auburn people didn't like that he besmirched the Tiger brand, not because they were concerned about him.

I think you touch on a very real possibility there. Seems like some realllly don't like having to "endure" trash talk from rival fans at the water cooler about player behavior lol.

Nevertheless, don't you think it's time people start recognizing how much one single "mistake" like getting caught with weed neither defines him as a person nor has anything to do with his play on the field? Because once that happens, perhaps the blinders will fall off and people can stop questioning whether the Falcons lost their minds by signing a former Auburn player.

True, but in my opinion, I really just thought it was funny b/c of how I personally assessed his game last season.

(Just putting that stamp above to indicate it's a response to your post without including all of the text.)

I will submit that Mincy was not perfect in his play, either, but how many comments on this topic have disparaged him as being unworthy of even consideration for the NFL? Sure, he had busts, but most of them were either caused by or highlighted because of the failings of getting pressure on the QB.

And FTR, I don't like the targeting of Mincy by Auburn people anywhere, so if I were active on other boards, I would be saying the same thing. I know full well how many people have been down on Mincy, much the same as so many were down on Neiko Thorpe...who is still on an active roster in the NFL now. That doesn't make it right.

Probably should agree to disagree but the my opinion is greater than yours stuff don't work either way

I hope you weren't responding to Tiger and me, because we were talking things out rationally...if I have an opinion, then naturally I am going to think more of it than any other opinion. That doesn't mean the other opinion is invalid, nor that it is lesser than mine, only that I see more truth in my own. Discussing differences of opinion is the only way to really exchange ideas; if I can make a point from within my opinion that someone else has not thought about, then as long as they are willing to consider that point, their thoughts on the matter have expanded even if they still disagree with me. And the same goes for me, as well, because there have been plenty of times when I will be in a discussion and even without my overall opinion being changed, I'll find truth in someone else's which expands my own understanding of the issue.

Besides, what is the point of getting on message boards, if not to go back and forth about the merits of different ideas and opinions?

FWIW, There were many time where Mincy looked like he was burnt because others missed their assignments

It may be unfair to criticize jm. He was not great,but if we had a better option jm wouldn't have been getting beat. I wish him well .

I just hope Mincy does not line up against Cooper on Sunday's.

I don't imagine most fans would want most CBs lined up in single man against the premiere receiver in whatever league their team plays in.

Cooper abused every cornerback in the SEC. Dude was the 4th overall pick in the draft.

Vernon Hargreaves held his own, despite being pushed off most of the time in that game when he lined up against mr all world cooper. Lol

Suppose you'd want Coates over Cooper?

Yep, the alabama system won't work in the nfl.

Are we just going to ignore this or

As a matter of fact...

This post is hidden because you have chosen to ignore posts by war eagle6. View it anyway?

Loof is my hero.

He should b

(Just putting that stamp above to indicate it's a response to your post without including all of the text.)

I will submit that Mincy was not perfect in his play, either, but how many comments on this topic have disparaged him as being unworthy of even consideration for the NFL? Sure, he had busts, but most of them were either caused by or highlighted because of the failings of getting pressure on the QB.

And FTR, I don't like the targeting of Mincy by Auburn people anywhere, so if I were active on other boards, I would be saying the same thing. I know full well how many people have been down on Mincy, much the same as so many were down on Neiko Thorpe...who is still on an active roster in the NFL now. That doesn't make it right.

:clap:

That's fair. There was a lot of frustration directed towards last years team considering all the talent that was coming back from a national runner up team and Mincy received, fairly or unfairly, a huge portion of it.

Any updates on how things are going with the Falcons?

Dan Quinn trolled local media by saying he'd give Hershel Walker a tryout. Sorry, this is not the info you are looking for.

Defense swarming: The defense came down with a number of impressive pass break ups and interceptions — a sign the players are digesting the playbook and starting to react more naturally.

Two defensive backs who stood out were Jonathan Mincy and Ricardo Allen. Mincy, a UDFA cornerback out of Auburn, was flying all over the place, made at least three PBUs and held his own against Jones during one-on-ones.

http://www.atlantafalcons.com/news/blog/article-1/Five-Things-to-Know-From-Day-2-of-Minicamp/44177f35-71f7-455d-8c2d-91111dd3fe41

Maybe his play had a lot to do to who was coaching him. That wouldn't surprise me one bit.

^^ this is what I'm thinking also

I believe another Poster mentioned it earlier. Some of the plays where it appeared Mincy got burned on it wasn't even his coverage. Somebody else blew their coverage and he then left his coverage to try and save the play so he was the one you saw chasing and people assumed he was the one who blew the coverage. You add that to another fact many Posters have mentioned no pass rush and he becomes an easy target despite being a pretty darn good player as the Falcon's are finding out.

It is hard to believe that he leaves Auburn goes to the Pro's and suddenly learns how to play the game. He was always good.

Maybe his play had a lot to do to who was coaching him. That wouldn't surprise me one bit.

I offer these names without comment.

2010 (RS year) and 2011- DC was Ted Roof, position coach was Phillip Lolley

2012- DC was Brian van Gorder, position coach was Willie Martinez

2013 and 2014- DC was Ellis Johnson, position coach was Melvin Smith

I believe another Poster mentioned it earlier. Some of the plays where it appeared Mincy got burned on it wasn't even his coverage. Somebody else blew their coverage and he then left his coverage to try and save the play so he was the one you saw chasing and people assumed he was the one who blew the coverage.

That exact kind of thing seemed to happen wayyyyy too often the last few seasons. Busted coverage turning into big plays and scores cost our Tigers several games during Ellis Johnson's short tenure. Players have to make plays, but coaches have to coach 'em up.

Sorta similar to Jason Campbell's entire college and NFL career. Musical chairs at coordinator and position coach positions can't be a great help with player development.

Sorta similar to Jason Campbell's entire college and NFL career. Musical chairs at coordinator and position coach positions can't be a great help with player development.

I tend to agree, particularly when almost none of those coordinators performed well enough to leave of their own volition (I believe Petrino- in Campbell's SO year- was the only one of the bunch for either player).

EDIT: Sorry, Al Borges is another exception in that he continued to perform well for a couple years after Campbell left. But he actually best serves the main thrust of the argument, which is that coaching matters.

No need to say anything, That explains it right there.

I believe another Poster mentioned it earlier. Some of the plays where it appeared Mincy got burned on it wasn't even his coverage. Somebody else blew their coverage and he then left his coverage to try and save the play so he was the one you saw chasing and people assumed he was the one who blew the coverage. You add that to another fact many Posters have mentioned no pass rush and he becomes an easy target despite being a pretty darn good player as the Falcon's are finding out.

It is hard to believe that he leaves Auburn goes to the Pro's and suddenly learns how to play the game. He was always good.

Mostly because of no or late help from the safety over the top. Usually happened from biting on the run fake but sometimes just plain busted coverage.

Archived