9 dead in shooting at historic Charleston African American church. Police chief calls it ‘hate crime.’

JoeBags7277

If pointing out how despicable it is for this President to politicize a national tragedy just to promote his agenda , which happens to be anti-2nd Amendment, I guess that's irrational.

Listen to the presser he gave today, then judge.

What 'anti' 2nd amendment legislation has President Obama introduced during his nearly 8 years as President of the United States?

Stricter background checks and limiting the size of clips and availability of gun ammo, for starters.

Why is a strict background check anti-2nd amendment?

Why isn't it?

Because crazy people aren't desired or needed to ensure a "well regulated militia". :-\

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Any common sense measure to keep guns out of the wrong person's hands will be misconstrued as anti second amendment. I accept that.

Not by a huge majority of the American people.

If pointing out how despicable it is for this President to politicize a national tragedy just to promote his agenda , which happens to be anti-2nd Amendment, I guess that's irrational.

What 'anti' 2nd amendment legislation has President Obama introduced during his nearly 8 years as President of the United States?

Stricter background checks and limiting the size of clips and availability of gun ammo, for starters.

Why isn't it?

You made the assertion that it was. Asking me to prove the negative isn't an answer.

It's like each side has to one up each other with stupidity.

I guess Obama is equally a stupid chucklef***, huh ?

“If Congress had passed some commonsense legislation after Newtown, after a group of children had been gunned down in their own classroom, reforms that 90% of the American people supported … we might still have more Americans with us.” Obama.

Wrong, Mr President. It would have had exactly zero impact on the shooting. Zero. What you call " common sense " is nothing of the sort.

I went ahead and toned down your very large font, but yes that was exactly my point. The blame lies solely with the individual who committed the crime. Placing blame on the people that have voted for or against stricter gun control is just wrong, and also pretty damn mean spirited.

Any common sense measure to keep guns out of the wrong person's hands will be misconstrued as anti second amendment. I accept that.

Any one ? Really ? Cause we already have " common sense " laws that do exactly that.

Any one ? Really ? Cause we already have " common sense " laws that do exactly that.

and they are considered anti second amendment.

No Alex. Laws to keep guns out of the hands of people like that are necessary. We all understand that. The problem is they aren't enforced, typically on purpose, Stiff punishment for those who do break the laws are rare so there's no fear. We have more than enough laws on the books now to, if not eliminate, then to cut way back on this. The guy either stole a gun that was legally owned by someone else or he got illegal help to get one. In what world does any more laws make sense except for the one that wants a world without guns?

That I think is what happened or he stole one from his mother. If his father gave it to him then his father broke the law by doing so. So we already had a law against it but someone decided to ignore it and therefore we have to make a new law.

Reports say his Father gave him the gun as a gift awhile back.

Other reports say he used his birthday cash to purchase it.

The specific method he used to get the gun is really not important. However he got the gun, he did it illegally. The fact that he and/or someone else decided to ignore laws already on the books, to some, means we now have to pass a new law, which is absurd on it's face. There were a whole host of failures in this, as is the case most of the time. Mental illness is a common theme of these perps and it usually is known by others but ignored.

That's because guns are not the problem. Chicago and Washington DC have the strictest gun laws, yet they have the highest gun death rates .

Reports say his Father gave him the gun as a gift awhile back.

Other reports say he used his birthday cash to purchase it.

. Often the first reports aren't the most credible. I'm hearing " Storm " isn't even his real middle name, but one he calls himself. Most stories I'm hearing now are omitting his middle name outright .

The specific method he used to get the gun is really not important. However he got the gun, he did it illegally. The fact that he and/or someone else decided to ignore laws already on the books, to some, means we now have to pass a new law, which is absurd on it's face. There were a whole host of failures in this, as is the case most of the time. Mental illness is a common theme of these perps and it usually is known by others but ignored.

Searched a little more. Looks like he purchased it from a Charleston gun store. One of three things likely took place:

1. They ran the check but didn't see the pending felony charge (not uncommon from what I've read).

2. They ran the check, which he failed, but sold him the gun anyway.

3. They sold him the gun without running the check at all.

My money is on number 1. I'm assuming it wasn't deliberate.

If he has been charged but not convicted then he still has the legal right to buy one I believe. Rights don't get taken away until conviction. I believe that's the case but won't swear to it. If the system is slow about getting status updated then they need to fix that. It's not a failure of not enough laws is the essential point.

If he has been charged but not convicted then he still has the legal right to buy one I believe. Rights don't get taken away until conviction. I believe that's the case but won't swear to it.

Pending felony cases are a disqualifier for purchasing a weapon.

I read on NPR that there is a loophole that allows for a default approval. If the background check doesn't turn up a reason to disqualify within three days, you're allowed to purchase the gun. Makes sense with a likely hard to track down pending case.

Why isn't it?

You made the assertion that it was. Asking me to prove the negative isn't an answer.

Bumping this for a response...

If he has been charged but not convicted then he still has the legal right to buy one I believe. Rights don't get taken away until conviction. I believe that's the case but won't swear to it.

Pending felony cases are a disqualifier for purchasing a weapon.

Thanks for that. I wasn't sure

Smh. It sucks that the people were killed though.....

It most certainly does cole. That is the hard part. 9 people who have lost their life and the families that won't have them around anymore. It sucks big time.

So unfortunately we know how the media does in these situations as far as trying to push a story. So I was wondering if the stuff about the judge that's over this, using the n word and saying the family of the murderer are victims....is that really true?

So unfortunately we know how the media does in these situations as far as trying to push a story. So I was wondering if the stuff about the judge that's over this, using the n word and saying the family of the murderer are victims....is that really true?

:o Where did you hear that?

Archived