9 dead in shooting at historic Charleston African American church. Police chief calls it ‘hate crime.’

JoeBags7277

Titan - there's no need for such laws, as they'd not impede anyone from doing what was done anyway. Ammo restrictions are a form of anti gun action taken by the govt. Clip sizes, etc, don't address the root cause & only limit rights to law abiding citizens while doing zero to stop criminals.

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Judge James Gosnell appealed for community to 'rally round' the Roofs

It comes 12 years after he said the n-word to a black defendant in court.

Context helps, sometimes. And my guess the Roof family are hurting. Can't imagine they'd ever want this for their son.

Wow. Look at all those racist dog whistles.

I think Hillary had a point.

Wow. Look at all those racist dog whistles.

I think Hillary had a point.

Yes but, the presentation and timing were extremely poor. The message is too important to be wrapped in what could only be perceived as a political attack.

On the gun control aspect I found this quote by Samuel L Jackson an interesting take.

"I don't think it's more about control. I grew up in the South with guns and w never shot anyone. This shooting is about people who aren't taught the value of life."

On the gun control aspect I found this quote by Samuel L Jackson an interesting take.

"I don't think it's more about control. I grew up in the South with guns and w never shot anyone. This shooting is about people who aren't taught the value of life."

there are many aspects to this. Samuel is correct but i think mental illness is there too.

I'll pose this question:

As recent as the early'90s, when I graduated high school, kids were still bringing rifles, shotguns, pistols, and pocketknives to school. You would think that with that many weapons brought to school, that there would be tons of shootings. How many did you hear about? Not hardly any at all.

What new factors were introduced into our society and culture that started to change this?

I'll pose this question:

As recent as the early'90s, when I graduated high school, kids were still bringing rifles, shotguns, pistols, and pocketknives to school. You would think that with that many weapons brought to school, that there would be tons of shootings. How many did you hear about? Not hardly any at all.

What new factors were introduced into our society and culture that started to change this?

I was in school when 8th or 9th grade when Columbine occured. After that, the security theater was up and running in full force. Everyone had to tuck their shirts in, backpacks had to be see through, etc.

Oh, and I doubt your claims about "everyone." A deadly weapon at our school was grounds for expulsion back in the early 90s.

I'll pose this question:

I was in school when 8th or 9th grade when Columbine occured. After that, the security theater was up and running in full force. Everyone had to tuck their shirts in, backpacks had to be see through, etc.

Oh, and I doubt your claims about "everyone." A deadly weapon at our school was grounds for expulsion back in the early 90s.

in 88-91 time frame me and my brother would hunt a swamp not far from Tanner High School. i would be at school on time with a flatbottom boat in the back of my S-10 truck, dead bloody ducks in the boat and two shotguns on the seat. my worry was someone would break the window and steal my gun. never worried about getting in trouble for a weapon in the truck. didn't occur to me. never considered taking it in either. times have changed.

Well, I promised earlier on in the thread I would issue a mea culpa in the event that my early assertion that Roof was motivated by the developments in the Walter Scoot case turned out to be incorrect. After having read his manifesto, it appears that is the case. Roof didn't seem to have anything good, bad or indifferent to say about the police, although I still suspect that that case coupled with the attention being given to police brutality may have been another underlying factor in his belief that blacks were "taking over the world", whether he chose to write about it or not. In any event, at this point I have nothing other than speculation to back up my original assertion, and as such, I apologize for jumping the gun. Its something I rarely do except in reference to this topic, which as I stated before hits me very hard. Not sure it matters to anyone after 16 pages of jumping back and forth from one topic to the next, but I'm a man of my word. I will try to be less reckless in the future.

I'll pose this question:

in 88-91 time frame me and my brother would hunt a swamp not far from Tanner High School. i would be at school on time with a flatbottom boat in the back of my S-10 truck, dead bloody ducks in the boat and two shotguns on the seat. my worry was someone would break the window and steal my gun. never worried about getting in trouble for a weapon in the truck. didn't occur to me. never considered taking it in either. times have changed.

My older brother and I are Hewitt-Trussville grads. I suspect cultural differences.

Was the school admin aware of your weapons?

Well, I promised earlier on in the thread I would issue a mea culpa in the event that my early assertion that Roof was motivated by the developments in the Walter Scoot case turned out to be incorrect. After having read his manifesto, it appears that is the case. Roof didn't seem to have anything good, bad or indifferent to say about the police, although I still suspect that that case coupled with the attention being given to police brutality may have been another underlying factor in his belief that blacks were "taking over the world", whether he chose to write about it or not. In any event, at this point I have nothing other than speculation to back up my original assertion, and as such, I apologize for jumping the gun. Its something I rarely do except in reference to this topic, which as I stated before hits me very hard. Not sure it matters to anyone after 16 pages of jumping back and forth from one topic to the next, but I'm a man of my word. I will try to be less reckless in the future.

Props to you. :bow:

This would be a better forum if everyone had your integrity.

So, in reality , Roof's attack had nothing to do w/ the Scott murder at all, what so ever.

" Looks like a deranged, racist cophugger became completely unhinged at the prospect of true justice for a badged criminal "

Except, it really wasn't.

Didn't Roof claim, to his roomie, that he was thinking of this sort of attack for about 6 months prior ? Scott was shot in early April.

I'm trying to figure out why the mea culpa. :gofig:

I'll pose this question:

My older brother and I are Hewitt-Trussville grads. I suspect cultural differences.

Some for sure. The guns were in plain view sometimes. They knew i duck hunted. I stripped off camo and waders with normal clothes underneath in the parking lot. several students who also hunted would know. this was a gravel parking lot with maybe 40-50 cars. nothing was hidden. it would not fly now. about ten years ago a kid was expelled for having a pellet gun in his car.

I'll pose this question:

Some for sure. The guns were in plain view sometimes. They knew i duck hunted. I stripped off camo and waders with normal clothes underneath in the parking lot. several students who also hunted would know. this was a gravel parking lot with maybe 40-50 cars. nothing was hidden. it would not fly now. about ten years ago a kid was expelled for having a pellet gun in his car.

Sounds right. I suspect it's always been policy at every school, but more loosely enforced in some areas until Columbine changed all that.

I'll pose this question:

I don't remember a time when I would ever leave guns in a parked car in "plain view". Not trying to be snide or anything, but that seems very casual or thoughtless to me. But I never went duck hunting before school.

So, in reality , Roof's attack had nothing to do w/ the Scott murder at all, what so ever.

" Looks like a deranged, racist cophugger became completely unhinged at the prospect of true justice for a badged criminal "

Didn't Roof claim, to his roomie, that he was thinking of this sort of attack for about 6 months prior ? Scott was shot in early April.

I'm trying to figure out why the mea culpa. :gofig:/>

I'm trying to figure out why you're attacking me for publicly admitting I was wrong.

Someone doing that confuses him. He's never done it before so he doesn't understand

I'm trying to figure out why you're attacking me for publicly admitting I was wrong.

Don't. Just make allowances for the source.

I'll pose this question:

I don't remember a time when I would ever leave guns in a parked car in "plain view". Not trying to be snide or anything, but that seems very casual or thoughtless to me. But I never went duck hunting before school.

you are also not from Tanner Alabama. The parking lot at school (at that time) felt like your front yard. The guns were in cases sometimes and sometimes behind the seat if there was room. if left in the front seat with a hunting coat on them you could still see by the other gear that the owner of this truck had been duck hunting and a gun is also needed and definitely under all the clothes. an S-10 single cab can't conceal two shotguns too well. my point is it was never a concern of mine to worry over getting in trouble for possessing a gun in my truck at school. it was more of a concern that it would be stolen and that was of little concern itself. it is different now and should be. if i was in high school now i would have to swing by the house and drop the guns back home, which would cut my hunting short a few more minutes. we are talking about a Remington 870, camo, waders, boat, duck calls, feathers, blood. the admin knew i was no terrorist.

I explained why. And where did I " attack " you ?

No one seems interested in admitting that there was no wrong doing here for anyone to be apologizing for , which is kinda the whole point, isn't it?

Naw. Just take grade school shots on the message board and feel good 'bout yourselves.

Archived