I'm confused and getting kind of nervous

AURex

Help me understand what is going on here.

Auburn coaches seem to be making offers to a whole bunch of 2 and 3 star players, and happily accepting their commitments. This, while there are still a lot of 4 and 5 star players uncommitted.

The number of commits seems to be trailing behind previous years, and the top defensive line players seem to be flocking to other schools. That would not bother me so much, except for accepting all the 2 and 3 star players.

We always seem to say things will improve and Auburn will make a late run, because Auburn will prove on the field that it is going to be a winning program. That's fine.

But there is a limit t the number of players Auburn can sign, and the coaches aren't waiting. They are filling in the commit list with these players that, as far as I know, have never been invited to any big recruiting event like Big Cat or a big game weekend. Guys I've never heard of.

I'm not a recruiting expert. Maybe some insider can explain. What's the story here?

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, at the moment, we are getting our butts handed to us recruiting DL (more specifically, DT). There is a long time until Feb though.

wde

My understanding is that we will sign 8 on the d line so that leaves 6 spots. If this were December instead of June I would be worried, but that's just me though.

If they had been invited to big events and were still low rated, then I'd be worried. Hopefully these guys have skills that others haven't caught wind of yet. But honestly, IDK.

Auburn coaches seem to be making offers to a whole bunch of 2 and 3 star players, and happily accepting their commitments. This, while there are still a lot of 4 and 5 star players uncommitted.

The number of commits seems to be trailing behind previous years, and the top defensive line players seem to be flocking to other schools. That would not bother me so much, except for accepting all the 2 and 3 star players.

We always seem to say things will improve and Auburn will make a late run, because Auburn will prove on the field that it is going to be a winning program. That's fine.

But there is a limit t the number of players Auburn can sign, and the coaches aren't waiting. They are filling in the commit list with these players that, as far as I know, have never been invited to any big recruiting event like Big Cat or a big game weekend. Guys I've never heard of.

I'm not a recruiting expert. Maybe some insider can explain. What's the story here?

Apparently both camped at AU and did very well the past couple of days. IDK about Mannng but Newkirk will be a 4* before all is said and done.

Apparently both camped at AU and did very well the past couple of days. IDK about Mannng but Newkirk will be a 4* before all is said and done.

Newkirk is a DE who is going to be coached by CLT right? Manning is the DT that will be coached by Garner right?

wde

Newkirk is a DE who is going to be coached by CLT right? Manning is the DT that will be coached by Garner right?

wde

yes

wde

yes

Thanks. I asked this in another thread and I will ask this here too. I obviously missed it, but when was it made public that CLT was coaching DE and OLB and that Garner was only coaching DT?

wde

wde

yes

Thanks. I asked this in another thread and I will ask this here too. I obviously missed it, but when was it made public that CLT was coaching DE and OLB and that Garner was only coaching DT?

wde

I could be wrong thought I had seen it somewhere before.

A 3-4 OLB and a 4-3 DE are very similar, and since CWM runs both it kinda makes sense.

I am not worried at all. If we landed these guys on signing day, it would be an act of.desperation. it is still early in the recruiting season so obviously our coaches see something in these guys to give them an offer.

A 3-4 OLB and a 4-3 DE are very similar, and since CWM runs both it kinda makes sense.

OK. So CRG gets his on the field coaching responsibilities reduced due to the hiring of Muschamp and his scheme. Therefore; by Muschamp actually having legitimate input on who coaches the OLB position (which fortunately for us, also needs to coach DE based on Muschamp's scheme) we have actually upgraded the coaching staff on one area of the DL, am I right? Dang, I give major props to Muschamp for working the system regarding the CLT hire since CLT has been a competent DL coach.

wde

I'm not too concerned. These are just the type players that are underrated by the media but are known to the coaches thru Auburn camps and good scouting. Other players like Chandler Cox, Tony Stevens, Sean White and now Woody Barrett also know them. I also like the fact that we are making some solid inroads into the state of Florida, which we need. Coaches Fountain, TRob and Muschamp are doing some solid work down there.

wde

yes

wde

answered in the other thread.

The gloom and doom of this thread is f-ing ridiculous. I'm willing to bet we sign 3+ composite 5 stars and finish in the top 6 composite. This time last year Prince Tega wasn't on our radar. This time in February Blake Countess was a wolverine. Put things in perspective and enjoy the ride to February. No sunshine pumping here but there's no reason to believe we will be not end up with a top 10 class.

Somebody has to be the coach to overturn those diamonds in the rough....and just a reminder that most of those rating services never see a kid actually play ball when making a * rating....they are mostly going from the number and quality of offers the guy gets....and carefully edited film clips that makes all of them look they are 5* players.

As for Tubs....he recruited 4 and 5* players...it was that most of them never qualified academically....but its' true that he was able to sign and develop some lesser rated kids too. I doubt that Muschamp has that ability however..so some very tough times ahead.....right? :-\

Somebody has to be the coach to overturn those diamonds in the rough....and just a reminder that most of those rating services never see a kid actually play ball when making a * rating....they are mostly going from the number and quality of offers the guy gets....and carefully edited film clips that makes all of them look they are 5* players.

As for Tubs....he recruited 4 and 5* players...it was that most of them never qualified academically....but its' true that he was able to sign and develop some lesser rated kids too. I doubt that Muschamp has that ability however..so some very tough times ahead.....right? :-\

Yep.

I really don't understand why, when we are looking to sign 8 DL, we don't just sign 8 5* recruits. I mean, what's the deal with some of them going to Bama, some to UGA, some elsewhere in the SEC, and some -- gasp -- not even committing to an SEC school?! If Gary picks Michigan or Bama over Auburn, we definitely need to fire CRG!

I'm sure some analysts do that but to say most is Overspin IMO.

Archived