The Cross and the Confederate Flag

TitanTiger

also, I believe the 13th Amendment was passed during the Civil War and ratified during that time. "But the 13th Amendment we know now differs substantially from the one first proposed. The initial amendment would have made slavery constitutional and permanent — and Lincoln supported it." http://cognoscenti.w...-richard-albert

Also a red herring. No one is even talking about Abraham Lincoln.

It isn't as folks were stating here that the war was mainly about slavery and that wasn't truly accurate.

The Confederacy was certainly all about slavery. The threat to the "peculiar institution" was the catalyst for its formation.

The south certainly thought that their way of commerce was being bullied by the rest of the states.

And what exactly what was their "way of commerce"?

• Replies 910
  • Created
  • Last Reply

War. No need to do 30 pages on the Civil War. It's been beaten to death here before. Slavery became an issue soon after the war began but the initial issue was state's right. My wife went to school in California and he were taught that in elementary school.

"State rights" for what purpose exactly? Slavery.

And in the 60's, it was "state rights" for the purpose of segregation and Jim Crow.

I can not speak for black Americans but, if I attempt to consider this flag from their perspective, to me, it would be like someone waving their middle finger in my face. The next person who can justify flying it, will be the first.

I don't see any good reason for SC to keep the flag, but I still think that they should decide whether to change it. I see no good reason to keep a flag that offends many of the citizens of the state. But I don't think that liking the battle flag or flying it is necessarily racist.

I don't see any good reason for SC to keep the flag, but I still think that they should decide whether to change it. I see no good reason to keep a flag that offends many of the citizens of the state. But I don't think that liking the battle flag or flying it is necessarily racist.

How about disrespectful?

also, I believe the 13th Amendment was passed during the Civil War and ratified during that time. "But the 13th Amendment we know now differs substantially from the one first proposed. The initial amendment would have made slavery constitutional and permanent — and Lincoln supported it." http://cognoscenti.w...-richard-albert

It isn't as folks were stating here that the war was mainly about slavery and that wasn't truly accurate.

The Confederacy was certainly all about slavery. The threat to the "peculiar institution" was the catalyst for its formation.

The south certainly thought that their way of commerce was being bullied by the rest of the states.

i agree with Ben. No need in asking me a question.with an obvious answer.

LOL.

Please forgive Homer. Lost cause apologists are extremely common here.

LOL.

It also takes me a while to get to know people. :bigblush:

I took it literally as "spin". Euphemism

(For the reasons Ben provided.)

...Lost cause apologists are extremely common here.

Exhibit A:

Ben...you just don't know your history. But don't mind me, just wallow in your ignorance.

LOL.

I see lol. Since we are getting to know everybody, which group is in the mythical "sewing circle?"

LOL.

I see lol. Since we are getting to know everybody, which group is in the mythical "sewing circle?"

Mythical? B)

We're a small cabal of sane individuals that welcome all rational thinkers and those that can tie a tailors knot.

Archived