The Cross and the Confederate Flag

TitanTiger

I posted this today to my facebook page.

This post might run a few of you off. If it does.....then so be It. As a native southern son and South Carolinian I never viewed the Confederate Flag as a symbol of racism but one of southern pride. How else was I to see it? I am white and from the south. People in my hometown considered this normal. I didn't personally grow up seeing other Americans as color metric. I don't remember ever hating someone because they were different from me. My parents didn't raise me that way. I believed the Sunday School song that Jesus loved the little children of the world....red, yellow, black or white...they are precious in his site. Most of my first playmates were black and I still have fond memories of Troy Anderson and others with whom I still consider my friends. I love them as brothers from my hometown. We all grew up together. It's who we are.

That said, I believe that it would be best served for all Americans (and especially South Carolina) to move the Confederate Flag from the statehouse grounds to a museum as part of historical reference. Regardless of what I see the flag as it will always be connected to a dark period in our nations history. A time where men felt compelled to fight a war over separatist ideas that included slavery. It was a war in the making that actually began to brew in the early 1840's that finally led to all out war in 1861. Slavery was a part of the reasoning for the South to feel it needed to revolt against the union, among other issues involving states rights, yet the majority of the South was poor regardless of color. In many cases the only difference between slaves and whites was the houses they were quartered in. The rich plantation owners drove the machine and the politics. Can anyone see a similarity today? Another KEY difference was the fact that the United States...a nation built on freedom and liberty allows the ownership of other human beings created "equal". The allowance was a concession to the south for supporting the revolution against the British so that the south could continue to be the agriculture center of the new nation.

Sorry for the historical reference so let me say what I believe needs to be said. It's time for my native South Carolina to lead the rest of the south once again and do the right thing for all Americans. End the symbolism on government property and send it to the museum. Germany doesn't fly the swastika to remember their darkest days and neither should we. It's time we all unite under the Stars and Stripes many of us served to protect and defend and send the images of past transgressions back to the 1800's and tell the media, race baiters and politicians to stop using our past to manage our present and set our future. United we Stand....Divided We Fall. God Bless America!

• Replies 910
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This post might run a few of you off. If it does.....then so be It. As a native southern son and South Carolinian I never viewed the Confederate Flag as a symbol of racism but one of southern pride. How else was I to see it? I am white and from the south. People in my hometown considered this normal. I didn't personally grow up seeing other Americans as color metric. I don't remember ever hating someone because they were different from me. My parents didn't raise me that way. I believed the Sunday School song that Jesus loved the little children of the world....red, yellow, black or white...they are precious in his site. Most of my first playmates were black and I still have fond memories of Troy Anderson and others with whom I still consider my friends. I love them as brothers from my hometown. We all grew up together. It's who we are.

That said, I believe that it would be best served for all Americans (and especially South Carolina) to move the Confederate Flag from the statehouse grounds to a museum as part of historical reference. Regardless of what I see the flag as it will always be connected to a dark period in our nations history. A time where men felt compelled to fight a war over separatist ideas that included slavery. It was a war in the making that actually began to brew in the early 1840's that finally led to all out war in 1861. Slavery was a part of the reasoning for the South to feel it needed to revolt against the union, among other issues involving states rights, yet the majority of the South was poor regardless of color. In many cases the only difference between slaves and whites was the houses they were quartered in. The rich plantation owners drove the machine and the politics. Can anyone see a similarity today? Another KEY difference was the fact that the United States...a nation built on freedom and liberty allows the ownership of other human beings created "equal". The allowance was a concession to the south for supporting the revolution against the British so that the south could continue to be the agriculture center of the new nation.

Sorry for the historical reference so let me say what I believe needs to be said. It's time for my native South Carolina to lead the rest of the south once again and do the right thing for all Americans. End the symbolism on government property and send it to the museum. Germany doesn't fly the swastika to remember their darkest days and neither should we. It's time we all unite under the Stars and Stripes many of us served to protect and defend and send the images of past transgressions back to the 1800's and tell the media, race baiters and politicians to stop using our past to manage our present and set our future. United we Stand....Divided We Fall. God Bless America!

The south was allowed to continue slavery only to appease the southern states enough to get the new Constitution ratified. Your post was very thoughtful and moving though

Quote from Jefferson:

"there is not a man on earth who would sacrifice more than I would, to relieve us from this heavy reproach [slavery]... we have the wolf by the ear, and we can neither hold him, nor safely let him go. Justice is in one scale, and self-preservation in the other."

In a sense we have come to our nation's capital to cash a check. When the architects of our republic wrote the magnificent words of the Constitution and the Declaration of Independence, they were signing a promissory note to which every American was to fall heir. This note was a promise that all men, yes, black men as well as white men, would be guaranteed the unalienable rights of life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. - Martin Luther King

The south was allowed to continue slavery only to appease the southern states enough to get the new Constitution ratified. Your post was very thoughtful and moving though

Quote from Jefferson:

"there is not a man on earth who would sacrifice more than I would, to relieve us from this heavy reproach [slavery]... we have the wolf by the ear, and we can neither hold him, nor safely let him go. Justice is in one scale, and self-preservation in the other."

Mistake noted. Tories were more of a possible issue during the revolution. I got my decades mixed up. Thanks.

I don't even know where this thread is going anymore.

But please everyone, continue to spit out your half truths and defend them with vague questions.

I try to erase all of Auburn's losses from my memory, the South's loss in the Civil War is one that we want to remember, why?

The only thing I love to remember is the great service that General John T. Croxton performed when he burned turdscaloosa to the ground.

WAR DAMN CROXTON!

;D

Well, there you have it: A real Auburn man's perspective. :laugh::bow:

:wareagle:

I gotta say, Croxton has a nice ring to it for a boy's name. :hellyeah:

There were those in the North who thought the same way. Grant sent his slaves off to Kansas to hide them rather than just free them.

There were those in the North who thought the same way. Grant sent his slaves off to Kansas to hide them rather than just free them.

No one is arguing the overall moral superiority of the North. We are just pointing out that these arguments that secession and the Confederacy wasn't really about slavery is bollocks. The battle flag has the negative symbolism that it has for legitimate reasons.

So be it. Go have a happy day with your kids!!!!!!!

Forget the flag and pray for the families of the Charleston victims.

I'll just leave this right here...

Every time you post one of these, I can never see it. Says I don't have permission. What did I ever do to you? ;D

Every time you post one of these, I can never see it. Says I don't have permission. What did I ever do to you? ;D/>

I got that message too. I figured it was because I had accrued warning points lol.

If we are just talking about the flag as far as it's meaning for today, then it really doesn't matter how you think of it historically.

For instance, I don't think anyone finds the Miami Dolphins logo offensive atm. But if a hate group began to rise waving their flag while advocating hate for another group the Miami Dolphins would eventually change their flag, if the group got big enough and started to garner enough hatred from the general populace. It doesn't matter if the flag started off as a symbol of bigotry and hatred or not, it only matters that it is now.

Or a real world for instance, no one uses the swastika and says it's because the symbol used to have positive connotations to it. Because a big enough group of d-bags garnered enough hatred from the world while using that symbol that the original meaning no longer matters.

The South Carolina of Governor Nikki Haley and Charleston Mayor Joe Riley is no longer the South Carolina of Christopher Memminger and secession in defense of slavery. It is no longer the South Carolina of Strom Thurmond and massive resistance to desegregation. On this sesquicentennial of the dissolution of the Confederacy, the flag is a glaring anachronism, a rallying point for those who rage against progress they cannot halt. That is how it became the banner of Dylann Roof and terror in the name of white supremacy. So why does it still fly on the Capitol grounds?

http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2015/06/why-is-the-flag-still-there/396431/?utm_source=SFTwitter

I try to erase all of Auburn's losses from my memory, the South's loss in the Civil War is one that we want to remember, why?

The only thing I love to remember is the great service that General John T. Croxton performed when he burned turdscaloosa to the ground.

WAR DAMN CROXTON!

;D

Well, there you have it: A real Auburn man's perspective. :laugh::bow:

:wareagle:

I gotta say, Croxton has a nice ring to it for a boy's name. :hellyeah:

And what a conversation starter it would be! ;D

I need "permission" to open it.

That makes three of us.

Today on the noon news Dr. Ben Carson said you could destroy every confederate flag and it wouldn't make any difference. He said the flag was just an excuse for a bigger problem. I really like and respect Dr. Carson.

Today on the noon news Dr. Ben Carson said you could destroy every confederate flag and it wouldn't make any difference. He said the flag was just an excuse for a bigger problem. I really like and respect Dr. Carson.

And no one said destroying Confederate flags would end racially-motivated murders.

Why is so hard to stick to the issue that was raised?

It's not an excuse for a bigger problem, it's a symbol of a bigger problem, which is why it should be removed from public property.

Archived