The Cross and the Confederate Flag

TitanTiger

• Replies 910
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mine either 777. But clearly there are those who would like to if they could. But alas they pee in the wind.

I never had the desire to own, much less fly, a Confederate Battle Flag. The more work I do in the inner city, the more pain and quite frankly anger I see over this issue. That alone is enough for me to desire to "take it down."

PT, you and I share a common theme that race relations are at an all time low or at least in the last say 20 years. Here is an issue at hand where you and I as white Americans can make a difference. I hope you and every other white American viewing this thread will join me. Take it down.

:flag:

No argument about public property. I think just about everyone here agrees.

Well I am talking about the flag that is flying - even as we speak - on the SC capitol grounds and have been from the beginning.

AUFAN78.....I have said I am all for taking it down. However, as a strong believer in state's rights, I think that is up t the people of SC to decide. A bill has already been introduced in their legislature to take it down.

AUFAN78.....I have said I am all for taking it down. However, as a strong believer in state's rights, I think that is up t the people of SC to decide. A bill has already been introduced in their legislature to take it down.

My apologies PT, I misunderstood your position.

If it were me I wouldn't fly a confederate flag because of how a majority of the other people that do act

If it were me I wouldn't fly a confederate flag because of how a majority of the other people that do act

For once, I can't disagree with what you say.

Mine either 777. But clearly there are those who would like to if they could. But alas they pee in the wind.

Must have missed that series of posts where people called for some federal taking down of the flag by force.

I don't do it either because first I know how most black people feel seeing the idiotic thing and second because I mostly associate it with white trash bammers or loons like this shooter. I don't want anyone thinking I belong in those circles.

this exactly. It is seen as an emblem of hate because it is primarily used as an emblem of hate. It is a cool looking design but I would not display it on my person or property. The state has a responsibility to remove it from the state house. any resistance to that has no political clout at all IMO.

I don't do it either because first I know how most black people feel seeing the idiotic thing and second because I mostly associate it with white trash bammers or loons like this shooter. I don't want anyone thinking I belong in those circles.

Anyone remember the controversy back in the late 80's when AU was ( I think ) playing Ole Miss in b-ball ? There was some ruckus over the Confederate flag, and there was some national press over the game. Might have been a KA fraternity thing, I can't remember, but there were a lot of AU students riding around, waving rebel flags, in " defiance " of the prevailing media attention.

I came up on a group in a jeep or pick up, all waving their flags , and gave them the thumbs down, as I didn't think it put AU in a good light.

Kids in college do dumb things.

Titan...re. your post #133. I think you got lost. I was referring to my right to fly the flag if I choose to do so, not anything related to talking it down by force in a public place.

But I will say if the Feds took it down it would only make matters worse. Let the state handle it.

PT, you are and always will be free to put as many flag poles as your lawn will hold and put rebel flags on all them. No one will arrest you and probably won't burn them either. You know if you do that you will be viewed by every passer bye as a racist redneck. If the GOP leadership in South Carolina wants to not be viewed that way they will make that change now. It is that simple. Perception has become reality on this issue.

alex, I wish I shared your confidence but with the feds encroaching on our rights more and more who knows what they might do,

alex, I wish I shared your confidence but with the feds encroaching on our rights more and more who knows what they might do,

which rights have we most recently lost?

Just a question for yall,

America wasn't the only country that used slavery so why is it that America has culturally had integration problems that other countries didn't have? Many countries voluntarily gave up slavery after all. So what did we do wrong beginning with Lincoln?

America wasn't the only country that used slavery so why is it that America has culturally had integration problems that other countries didn't have? Many countries voluntarily gave up slavery after all. So what did we do wrong beginning with Lincoln?

I haven't read enough of how slavery ended in every other country, but I know that at least with England, when Wilberforce pushed for the abolition of slavery you didn't have half the country rebel and a civil war break out over it. But also, most of England's slavery didn't occur in the country of England. It was in their various colonies around the world. In other words, they didn't have to integrate a huge population of former slaves into the fabric of the nation as much. They stopped the slave trade and it mainly just set slaves free in the Caribbean, Africa, and other places far removed from England proper.

the question has piqued my interest to my next book selection. But like TT i doubt any other country had an all out war over it.

Seems the Irish people don't have the same issues.

http://www.irishcentral.com/roots/history/irish-the-forgotten-white-slaves-says-expert-john-martin-188645531-237793261.html

***Don't bother posting the Google searches from liberal sites saying this never happened. I've seen them already.

Archived