The 'Southern Avenger' Repents: I Was Wrong About The Confederate Flag

JoeBags7277

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

DKW....you are swallowing elephants and choking on gnats.... -1

There were several flags of the Confederacy. Do a little homework.

http://www.moc.org/c...ags-confederacy

Most people spouting off here wouldn't even recognize some of them. I have a few of them. Is it only the battle flag that is taboo? I could fly the Confederate gov't flag net door to you and you probably wouldn't recognize it.

We protect traitors like Fonda and Bergdahl but get all riled up about a flag. As Dr. Carson says, you can get rid of all the Confederate flags that exist and it won't change a thing. Those offended will just find something else to complain about. I will make a deal.......get Sharpton and Jackson to stop their race business and I will never fly the flag again, not even on Lee's b'day.

So, you can not be a decent human being until everyone else is? Your actions are motivated and justified by the actions of others? That sounds like a remarkably immature and hypocritical value system.

Most people spouting off here wouldn't even recognize some of them. I have a few of them. Is it only the battle flag that is taboo? I could fly the Confederate gov't flag net door to you and you probably wouldn't recognize it.

We protect traitors like Fonda and Bergdahl but get all riled up about a flag. As Dr. Carson says, you can get rid of all the Confederate flags that exist and it won't change a thing. Those offended will just find something else to complain about. I will make a deal.......get Sharpton and Jackson to stop their race business and I will never fly the flag again, not even on Lee's b'day.

The fact that there are multiple flags used by the Confederacy does not change the fact that this particular one is the most wided recognized and used by those who wish to evoke Confederate pride, sympathies, remembrance and so on. There's a reason it got incorporated into state flags in the South, especially during the era of desegregation. There's a reason groups like the KKK chose it as a frequent symbol. There is a reason it was prominently seen among people harassing/protesting civil rights marches.

In other words, it doesn't matter how many flags there were. You know what it is, you know what is symbolizes. Stop with the silly red herrings.

how often do you visit the state house in south Carolina? That is the only flag in question i am aware of. You may fly yours as you wish. You may boycott walmart for not selling it. No history is erased. It is where it belongs,in museums. Progress was made.

Can't say I've ever been to the state house. And it's not the only flag in question. As noted, Wal-Mart is ceasing to stop selling anything related to the Confederate flag. So there's that too.

Progress was made ? Really? Simply by uttering that phrase, that makes it so ? Fine. Erase it from history. Anything else we can take away from Southerners while we're at it ? Or is JUST that going to do it.

Maybe stop using the word " Dixie " too, while we're at it. It's " offensive " . Conjures up images of cotton plantations and lynchings and such. Rename 'Dixie Cups " something more appropriate. That X in the name sure does look a hell of a lot like the symbol for a rebel flag, don't it ?

We don't need that sort around here no more.

walmart chose to halt sales. Hell they are not far from slave owners themselves.we all still have freedom to express hate and intimidation. The state government did just that in 1961. It's time to change that. That is your progress.You refuse to see the issue. I think you refuse to because i don't think you are that stupid.i meant that as a compliment.

Well, he obviously thinks we are.

Dixie Cups. What an idiotic obfuscation.

I sure hope Stone Mountain isn't the next target. But it is always something else.

I didn't realize that Stone Mountain was being used as a symbol for white supremacy.

Oh wait.... it's not.

DKW - 3/4 of those things are fake. 1 isn't.

alexava - so that's it ? Those who don't agree simply refuse to see the issue ?

we all still have freedom to express hate and intimidation.

Only I don't agree that most of those who display the flag in any way have a desire to express hate or intimidation.

that is about 80% of all rebel flags i have ever seen. The rest were ole miss fans.

Does the fact that it was raised on the state lawn in 1961 not tell you something?

80% ? Maybe you and I travel in different sorts of circles. :gofig:

And yes, it tells me that some folks don't like being told what to do, even when it's the right thing to do . I think there are better ways to get cooperation and unity than do as we say, or you're a hateful racist and we'll make you do it anyways.

It's a legislatures job to be "told what to do". They are suppose to represent the people.

Or are you still referring to your personal freedom red herring?

If nothing else has been proved in this tread it is that homer likes to call anyone with a different opinion dumb and an idiot. I wish he would quit talking selfies. I wonder if he considers others find HIM offensive as he spouts his hypocrisy

Good grief. I am running out of adjectives to describe your posts.

So just pick out a couple: stupid, idiotic, absurd, pathetic, revealing, ridiculous, embarrassing, childish, irrational, illogical, disgraceful...

Being told " we still have the freedom to hate and intimidate " doesn't sound too much like an appeal to common decency.

It's not.

That is an appeal to people such as yourself.

If nothing else has been proved in this tread it is that homer likes to call anyone with a different opinion dumb and an idiot. I wish he would quit talking selfies. I wonder if he considers others find HIM offensive as he spouts his hypocrisy

He called your posts and opinions dumb or stupid or idiotic.

I sure hope Stone Mountain isn't the next target. But it is always something else.

I didn't realize that Stone Mountain was being used as a symbol for white supremacy.

Oh wait.... it's not.

Oh dear.....I have been duly admonished.

No, I like to call dumb or idiotic posts dumb and idiotic. (Go back and check.)

It's my way of supporting the image of this forum, which is representative of the Auburn Family. While every family has the random bad apple, there's no reason for the rest of us to encourage it by letting it go unchallenged.

Many of your posts on this forum are an embarrassment to Auburn fans, much less alumni. I for one don't intend to let it go unchallenged.

Oh wait.... it's not.

I'd call that a correction.

Oh wait.... it's not.

I'd call that a correction.

Oh good lord....lol

At Sears to the national hysteria against the rebel flag. And just think, one week ago ,nobody was talking about this issue at all.

And just think, one week ago ,nobody was talking about this issue at all.

Which literally means nothing in terms of whether the concern is valid or the issue is important.

Wal Mart pulls the CF, but stills sells Che Guevara crap? Dude hated black people. Nice publicity move Wally World.

Which literally means nothing in terms of whether the concern is valid or the issue is important.

The flag had exactly 0 to do with the killings in South Carolina. Want to talk about invalid concerns? It's this one.

The flag is an entirely separate issue.

The flag had exactly 0 to do with the killings in South Carolina. Want to talk about invalid concerns? It's this one.

Yes it is, but the killings brought a latent issue back to the forefront. The flag issue is not directly correlated, but that doesn't make the flag issue an invalid one.

Well it's certainly not unrelated.

Whatever else in may represent in some minds, the flag is a symbol of racism. It has been historically used by racists to express their racism. The killer was clearly motivated by such racial views. The killer often expressed his own racial beliefs with the flag.

I don't think it's inappropriate to make an issue of the same flag being officially sanctioned and flown by a state government.

Even Rand Paul understands this, now that Governor Haley has provided him cover:

"I think the flag is inescapably a symbol of human bondage and slavery, and particularly when people use it obviously for murder and to justify hatred so vicious that you would kill somebody," Paul said in a Tuesday morning interview with Boston talk radio host Jeffrey Kuhner. "I think that symbolism needs to end, and I think South Carolina's doing the right thing."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/06/23/rand-paul-confederate-flag_n_7646280.html?utm_hp_ref=politics

Something I have been thinking about quite a bit over the last 24 hours... If all those that hold the "heritage" part of the flag so dear would have stepped up long ago and kept it from being co-opted by hate groups and morons maybe this wouldn't be as big an issue. It's similar to the call for "good Muslims" to stand up against the "bad Muslims" and take their religion back, no?

the flag did not cause the murders. Removing it probably won't prevent any murders. It might help the wipe the s*** out of their faces after seeing the flags on his car, pictures posing with flags and the pistol he used then the state lowers the other flags to half mass while the rebel flag is flying high. It went up in '61 for disrespect and it is time to come down for respect.

Archived