The 'Southern Avenger' Repents: I Was Wrong About The Confederate Flag

JoeBags7277

Turns out Governor Haley had a change of heart thanks to the fear of investment dollars drying up.

Link

Last paragraph of the article echos my thoughts of the possible dangers of corporations affecting legislation.

Many of us probably are pleased the rebel flag and Haley were no match for Silicon Valley’s assault. But what happens when the Valley is on the wrong side of your local issue? What happens when the Apple logo and the Starbucks siren are more powerful than the stars and bars?

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's negative reasoning IMHO. Kind of like sticking your head in the sand to avoid the bigger picture. predict you won't agree

If it's "negative thinking" to address a known problem and deal with the outcome as necessary, what's "positive" thinking?

DKW....you are swallowing elephants and choking on gnats.... -1

There were several flags of the Confederacy. Do a little homework.

http://www.moc.org/c...ags-confederacy

Most people spouting off here wouldn't even recognize some of them. I have a few of them. Is it only the battle flag that is taboo? I could fly the Confederate gov't flag net door to you and you probably wouldn't recognize it.

We protect traitors like Fonda and Bergdahl but get all riled up about a flag. As Dr. Carson says, you can get rid of all the Confederate flags that exist and it won't change a thing. Those offended will just find something else to complain about. I will make a deal.......get Sharpton and Jackson to stop their race business and I will never fly the flag again, not even on Lee's b'day.

hate filled people hate. Removing a flag makes zero difference...

It will at least remove what is an undeniable symbol for the worst of these racist haters.

Taking away the implied government sanction is at least something. It's a first step.

And it's a BIG one in the historical theme of things.

If it happens.

Something I have been thinking about quite a bit over the last 24 hours... If all those that hold the "heritage" part of the flag so dear would have stepped up long ago and kept it from being co-opted by hate groups and morons maybe this wouldn't be as big an issue. It's similar to the call for "good Muslims" to stand up against the "bad Muslims" and take their religion back, no?

Obviously the meaning behind the flag has been twisted and perverted but others that still deem the flag for its southern heritage should be able to wear it without their character being called into question. Nobody is asking the good Muslims to choose another religion merely because some "bad" Muslims are corrupting the religion.

I appreciate what you're saying, but the confederate flag is inherently and irrevocably tied to and symbolic of white supremacy/black racism. No number of different-minded Southerners can change that.

We just have to rise above our emotional attachments and face the truth. It does not belong on public property.

The subject of Confederate monuments is debatable but a flag is by definition a symbol.

Devil's Advocate Question:

The call is for the removal of the CF because it is a reminder of a bad time when the flag was used as a symbol of oppression.

Why have a monument depicting black children getting attacked by dogs in the 1960's?

Isn't that a reminder of a very bad time in history?

You think this is about reminding people of things?

Something I have been thinking about quite a bit over the last 24 hours... If all those that hold the "heritage" part of the flag so dear would have stepped up long ago and kept it from being co-opted by hate groups and morons maybe this wouldn't be as big an issue. It's similar to the call for "good Muslims" to stand up against the "bad Muslims" and take their religion back, no?

Obviously the meaning behind the flag has been twisted and perverted but others that still deem the flag for its southern heritage should be able to wear it without their character being called into question. Nobody is asking the good Muslims to choose another religion merely because some "bad" Muslims are corrupting the religion.

I'm still not sure you understand the point. I'm not advocating for you not to be able to wear what ever flag you want. I don't think anyone on here is. I think your analogy is way off too. If your character is being called into question by some in society because you choose to wear the Confederate Stars and Bars it's because no one stopped the nut jobs and sociopaths from using that flag as a symbol of hate, racism, evil, and intimidation for more than 100 years.

This is a basic point that many people seem to have trouble understanding.

It's as if one is attracted simply to the design of the swastika and just can't understand why they probably shouldn't wear it.

I'm still not sure you understand the point. I'm not advocating for you not to be able to wear what ever flag you want. I don't think anyone on here is. I think your analogy is way off too. If your character is being called into question by some in society because you choose to wear the Confederate Stars and Bars it's because no one stopped the nut jobs and sociopaths from using that flag as a symbol of hate, racism, evil, and intimidation for more than 100 years.

nope, two people on the other thread called my character into question for stating I'd continue wearing the shirt even if some are offended by it. Also, it was your analogy that was way off and I corrected it. I understand that the nutjobs twisted the meaning of the flag but that doesn't mean I will wear a different shirt.

i don't think i was one who questioned your character. i don't know enough about you. but you should know that when you are seen with a reblel flag on you are going to be considered a racist by the vast majority of people. do you not care?

I live in Alabama. Vast majority my azz

:laugh: Touche'

Don't be surprised to see a replacement compromise offered up. Takedown the southern cross and replace it with the South Carolina sovereignty flag.

The call is for the removal of the CF because it is a reminder of a bad time when the flag was used as a symbol of oppression.

Why have a monument depicting black children getting attacked by dogs in the 1960's?

Darn it all Weegs. Now you have used Logic and got in the way of lib touchy-feely accomplish nothing non actions...

Darn it all Weegs. Now you have used Logic and got in the way of lib touchy-feely accomplish nothing non actions...

LOL! You guys are funny.

nope, two people on the other thread called my character into question for stating I'd continue wearing the shirt even if some are offended by it. Also, it was your analogy that was way off and I corrected it. I understand that the nutjobs twisted the meaning of the flag but that doesn't mean I will wear a different shirt.

i don't think i was one who questioned your character. i don't know enough about you. but you should know that when you are seen with a reblel flag on you are going to be considered a racist by the vast majority of people. do you not care?

:laugh: Touche'

Since the day is closing, I have a couple of confessions. I have never owned a CF and I will never buy one. All my shirts I bought that says Southern Heritage, I will probably wear them until I get fat I don't know. None of them look like a confederate flag though. I have a better taste for fashion than that. Generally, I'm not one of the "these stripes won't run" guys either that love everything about the south. I abhor the state and as soon as I get a chance I will leave the state. The "good ole boy politics" in this region combined with the GOP running the state into the dirt is not something that I wish to be a part of my whole life.

With that said, I do think the CF has as much to do with our state's history than any white person that has ever lived in the state.Some of the history is good and some of it embarrassing. I commend the people that chose to throw away their flag while also respecting the wishes of the rest of the population that chooses to continue to fly the CF. Given the fact that my character was called to question and later called a racist by another individual, I consider today a pretty productive day. :roflol:

My wife and I went to the doctor today and found out that my wife is expecting again. I would start a bar tab for the whole sewing circle and their GOP whipping boys if I could! :cheers:

Don't be surprised to see a replacement compromise offered up. Takedown the southern cross and replace it with the South Carolina sovereignty flag.

It has a Muslim crescent on it, unlike the current state flag.

I hope they opt to not go that route.

Congrats jeff. Just got word that my grandaugher in NC who is 7 months along had to be taken to the hospital due to some bleeding. Prayers for her appreciated.

DKW - 3/4 of those things are fake. 1 isn't.

alexava - so that's it ? Those who don't agree simply refuse to see the issue ?

we all still have freedom to express hate and intimidation.

Only I don't agree that most of those who display the flag in any way have a desire to express hate or intimidation.

The whole TCF thing is a fake. TCF was never was adopted by the Confederacy.

Those claiming "heritage" dont know what they are talking about. We dont have a TCF in my home and wont either.

It has a Muslim crescent on it, unlike the current state flag.

I hope they opt to not go that route.

I predict that fact will guarantee it is THE replacement.... : - )

You're not coming to the west side with a confederate flag lol

I don't understand what specifically you are asking. Please restate.

Honestly that's just as bad as the flip side. People should respect freedom of speech/expression even if it offends them on a person to person basis. But I totally understand the comment. :)!

Honestly that's just as bad as the flip side. People should respect freedom of speech/expression even if it offends them on a person to person basis. But I totally understand the comment. :)!

I should be able to walk through the roughest section of town flaunting a Rolex, listening to music on my iPhone with Bose noise-cancelling headphones while counting my money and not be robbed too. But I'm not going to.

Honestly that's just as bad as the flip side. People should respect freedom of speech/exp<b></b>ression even if it offends them on a person to person basis. But I totally understand the comment. :)/>!

The PC bunch would tell you being offended is worse...

I don't understand what specifically you are asking. Please restate.

I think your premise is off base. This is not about reminders, it's about reperesentational symbols.

The problem with the confederate flag is not that it reminds blacks - and others - of slavery, It's that it represents the philosophy of slavery and more specifically, white supremacy.

The stature of the Birmingham bomb victims on the other hand is a reminder (memorial) of what happened.

This may be a subtle distinction but it's one that disallows a direct comparison of the two "objects".

Archived