Senators call for DC as 51st state

MDM4AU

I understand the frustration about the lack of representation and all that but if statehood were granted, then how would everything be set up as far as the offices of the federal government? What would a D.C. state be. What would it offer to people? It's nothing more than a decent sized city frankly. It has none of the things other states have as far as land goes. Even tiny Hawaii offers more than that. Puerto Rico should be set free and be it's own independent nation rather than made a state and we don't need a territory. Same goes for the Virgin Islands. Figure out a way to give the majority of the city back to either MD or VA and keep a small federal enclave.

I understand the frustration about the lack of representation and all that but if statehood were granted, then how would everything be set up as far as the offices of the federal government? What would a D.C. state be. What would it offer to people? It's nothing more than a decent sized city frankly. It has none of the things other states have as far as land goes. Even tiny Hawaii offers more than that. Puerto Rico should be set free and be it's own independent nation rather than made a state and we don't need a territory. Same goes for the Virgin Islands. Figure out a way to give the majority of the city back to either MD or VA and keep a small federal enclave.

Another possibility.

Another possibility.

It's the most sensible one. Anyone expect it to happen? I think the statehood movement is too political for some but who knows?

TexT, having worked in DC for 5 years, I can tell you there are fed buildings all over the district, some not even open to the public. How do you squeeze them into a smaller district?

As far as taxation w/o representation, don't have the stats but I bet the DC residents get more money back from the fed gov't per capital in benefits, services. etc, than any of the states.

There are other reasons not to make DC a state but no need for me to debate it I just oppose it.

The Pentagon is in Virginia-- every Federal building need not be in the District .

Isn't DC in a state..you know...Maryland??

No the laws of Maryland are not applicable in DC. It is the District of Columbia.

Archived